Reply 20 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlphaWing wrote:

Its this one
http://www.startech.com/Computer-Parts/Fans/6 … ervers~FAN3701U
Look at the gallery 360 pic for the actual correct picture of it.

It's tiny! But copper which is nice. They do rate it up to 1 GHz. Very impressive.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 21 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried a similar sized cooler, not copper though, and it seems to work just fine!

This is with a Pentium III 700E.

jTb0Nlbh.jpg

eNA5ROvh.jpg

Important to note that this is an open test bench and we have Winter here in Australia. 25 degrees Celsius inside.

My YouTube channel

Reply 22 of 36, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That one has a nice clip could be safe on socket 7?
I know you have to watch out for the clips on the low profile ones.. Like on that star-tech it says socket 7 compatible... but the pressure it puts down will cut into the socket nubs on a socket 7 socket and break them off.

Reply 23 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes that cooler works well on Socket 7 😀

The box labels it as S7 and S370 compatible.

My YouTube channel

Reply 24 of 36, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, unfortunately, my heatsink is the one shown above. I was feeling a little adventurous (or stupid) tonight, and tried it out without a fan. It was recognized by the BIOS as a PIII 650 (a good sign), but the power automatically cut off about ten seconds after Windows booted up. When I powered on again, I saw the following message before the Windows 98 splash screen: "Alert! Previous thermal failure." I put the old CPU back in, and everything seemed fine, so no harm done, probably.

So, I won't try this again without a fan. However, I have another question now. Does a Slot 1 motherboard automatically sense the temperature of the CPU, enough to cut the power if it gets too hot? Or is there some kind of fan sensor header that needs to be connected to a fan? This is a Dell Optiplex GX1. Also, does that piece of bluish film look normal? It seems to be placed between the CPU and the sink.

P1100845.jpg

Reply 25 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe the CPU sends a signal to the motherboard to shut itself off. But I could be wrong...

My YouTube channel

Reply 26 of 36, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup, the cpu has this feature, it's not mobo dependant. 😀

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 27 of 36, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote:
Yes, unfortunately, my heatsink is the one shown above. I was feeling a little adventurous (or stupid) tonight, and tried it ou […]
Show full quote

Yes, unfortunately, my heatsink is the one shown above. I was feeling a little adventurous (or stupid) tonight, and tried it out without a fan. It was recognized by the BIOS as a PIII 650 (a good sign), but the power automatically cut off about ten seconds after Windows booted up. When I powered on again, I saw the following message before the Windows 98 splash screen: "Alert! Previous thermal failure." I put the old CPU back in, and everything seemed fine, so no harm done, probably.

So, I won't try this again without a fan. However, I have another question now. Does a Slot 1 motherboard automatically sense the temperature of the CPU, enough to cut the power if it gets too hot? Or is there some kind of fan sensor header that needs to be connected to a fan? This is a Dell Optiplex GX1. Also, does that piece of bluish film look normal? It seems to be placed between the CPU and the sink.

P1100845.jpg

Pretty sure Slot-1 and also Slot-2 do not have thermal throttling capability. Also, that is easily the cheapest looking heat sink I have ever seen.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 28 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The processor protects itself from catastrophic overheating by use of an internal thermal sensor. This sensor is set well above […]
Show full quote

The processor protects itself from catastrophic overheating by use of an internal
thermal sensor. This sensor is set well above the normal operating temperature to
ensure that there are no false trips. The processor will stop all execution when the
junction temperature exceeds approximately 135 °C. This is signaled to the system
by the THERMTRIP# (Thermal Trip) pin. Once activated, the signal remains
latched, and the processor stopped, until RESET# goes active. There is no
hysteresis built into the thermal sensor itself; as long as the die temperature drops
below the trip level, a RESET# pulse will reset the processor and execution will
continue. If the temperature has not dropped below the trip level, the processor will
continue to drive THERMTRIP# and remain stopped.

Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20060622200013/htt … ts/24445209.pdf

Anyone remember the early AMD Athlon chips and how they went up in smoke if the cooler was loose?

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoXRHexGIok

My YouTube channel

Reply 29 of 36, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

+1 to Mau1wurf1977, sounds like normal thermal shut down to me. Tried it with a basic case fan setup like AlphaWing's or Mau1wurf1977's pictures show yet? (even if it isn't attached as per those pics, as a simple test-bench it'd be useful to know if the chip works). Also, blue film?

And yes, I remember old chips that lack such a feature - I've probably killed my fair share over the years. 🤣

Reply 30 of 36, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks again for all the replies. I will try to attach a case fan to see it if makes any difference. The blue film is kind of hard to see in the photo, but it is about 1 cm wide near the middle of the connector.

Reply 31 of 36, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

The blue film is kind of hard to see in the photo, but it is about 1 cm wide near the middle of the connector.

Can you remove it? (does it easily pull off?) Have you removed the heatsink to see what it is? It may be left-over packing material that's causing trouble (at the worst I'm imagining someone left film on the heatsink's contact plate and put that on the CPU, at the very worst without TIM).

Reply 32 of 36, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The film isn't removable with the sink still on. When I peer down the side of the module, I can see the thermal compound stretching between the top of the CPU and the bottom of the sink. This makes me nervous and leads me to think that the CPU may already have been damaged when I received it. I may still return it to the seller (it wasn't expensive), so I haven't tried to remove the sink yet. Is there a video or a webpage that shows how to do so for this particular type of sink?

Reply 33 of 36, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

The film isn't removable with the sink still on. When I peer down the side of the module, I can see the thermal compound stretching between the top of the CPU and the bottom of the sink. This makes me nervous and leads me to think that the CPU may already have been damaged when I received it. I may still return it to the seller (it wasn't expensive), so I haven't tried to remove the sink yet. Is there a video or a webpage that shows how to do so for this particular type of sink?

Went to YT to find you a video, and it's produced by our very own Mau1wurf1977! 🤣

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD5ZXix3Agc

Your sink is slightly different in how its mounted, but follows the same general principle in that those black clips have to come up to get the sink free. 😀

Reply 34 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hehe. I'm just thinking at the amount of rage these coolers caused people 🤣

My YouTube channel

Reply 36 of 36, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did my own little mod for my P3-500. The original fan was all dead (bearings too), so I made this little mod, using an P4 Socket478 cooler from an old HP machine. The screws were a little too long, so i simply cut off a peace from two wallplugs each, and used them as extensions.
For power, I am using a homemade molex to 3-pin cable, were I have used a molex y-splitter cable, and a 3-pin connector solderen off an old defect mobo.
I used this cpu-fan, to get enough air-flow, plus the fan is almost silent (not many from a socket 478 system are)

CoolerP3.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011