Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try the following?
1) changing the memory
2) changing the cache
3) disabling L2 cache in the BIOS
4) disabling parity check in the BIOS

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 22 of 34, by turtlesedge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:
Did you try the following? 1) changing the memory 2) changing the cache 3) disabling L2 cache in the BIOS 4) disabling parity ch […]
Show full quote

Did you try the following?
1) changing the memory
2) changing the cache
3) disabling L2 cache in the BIOS
4) disabling parity check in the BIOS

1. Yes I tried changing the memory, it will only start to POST if 8mb of RAM is installed
2. The motherboard has no cache
3. The motherboard has no cache
4. Disabling the parity check does it further but it will lock up right after POST

I am pretty sure the problem is the missing BIOS. I finally received the ROM programmer in the mail and tried those 2 BIOS ROMs you uploaded, unfortunately it won't even start to POST. I think the motherboard I have is not compatible with that BIOS. Do you have any other BIOSes that might work? I can't seem to find any on the internet.

I have uploaded the EVEN BIOS that was in the motherboard if that might help at all.

Attachments

• Filename
    AMI_386_VL82C330_EVEN.zip
    File size
    41.56 KiB
    Downloads
    60 downloads
    File comment
    EVEN BIOS that was in the motherboard
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 25 of 34, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's no point to look for more ROMs. In EVEN/ODD setups, one ROM contains all the even bits, and the other all the odd bits. If one ROM were removed, half the information would be missing and the system would not turn on.

I would check the board for any trace damage, and clean the pins of all the memory sockets.
I think on earlier 386 boards it's harder to swap ROMs because of custom programming in the keyboard controllers. I have an SiS Rabbit based board that won't take images from other Rabbit boards.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 26 of 34, by turtlesedge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think you are right, the "EVEN" BIOS contains both EVEN and ODD, 32kb then 32kb. I am assuming the other slot is for separating the BIOS into two seperate ROMs instead of combining them into one 64kb.

I am just about to give up on this board, it was manufactured by Lindata Corp and there is no information for it online at all.

Reply 27 of 34, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's some corrosion near the keyboard port. I would double check that everything is okay and clean it up better.

Reply 28 of 34, by turtlesedge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It turns out the problem was due to the RAM being non-parity and requiring special BIOS settings to work.

I have now added new RAM and it works fine.

Reply 29 of 34, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anonymous Coward, do you think I can use his single EVEN BIOS on my Baby Screamer? Or would this slow the system down? What is the advantage to EVEN and ODD BIOSes? Is it simply to increase storage space, or is it for increased speed via parallel access?

turtlesedge, could you share a screenshot of your BIOS chipset (RAM/cache/clk) settings?

Reply 30 of 34, by turtlesedge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Anonymous Coward, do you think I can use his single EVEN BIOS on my Baby Screamer? Or would this slow the system down? What is the advantage to EVEN and ODD BIOSes? Is it simply to increase storage space, or is it for increased speed via parallel access?

turtlesedge, could you share a screenshot of your BIOS chipset (RAM/cache/clk) settings?

Hey feipoa, sorry for the delay. Here are the BIOS settings:

Attachments

• advanced_chipset.jpg
    Filename
    advanced_chipset.jpg
    File size
    1023.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • advanced_cmos.jpg
    Filename
    advanced_cmos.jpg
    File size
    1.1 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 31 of 34, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Using that single BIOS image in your EVEN/ODD board should work, provided your motherboard has a jumper to change the chip density.

Software that makes calls to the BIOS would be slowed down somewhat, but in practice hardly any software does. Most of the time people shadow their BIOS anyway, which negates this issue altogether.

Reply 32 of 34, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

turtlesedge, Is there some up/down pages missing to those CMOS settings? Or are there really no adjustments for the memory and cache wait states?

Reply 33 of 34, by turtlesedge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

turtlesedge, Is there some up/down pages missing to those CMOS settings? Or are there really no adjustments for the memory and cache wait states?

No up/down pages, what is in the image is what is there.

The motherboard doesn't have any cache, strange for a 386 DX-33?

Reply 34 of 34, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Certainly less common to have missing cache on a 386 DX board, but I do see them on eBay, but are no means the majority. It is often the smaller boards.