VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did a basic DOOM framerate benchmarks here.

Difference of about 2fps between Virge VX/DX and Voodoo 3 PCI.

Compared to Voodoo 1, Voodoo 3 has superior quality and cleaner output and less noise on the monitor. No need for a separate 2D card. If you ask me, it doesn't hurt to put the Voodoo 3 in the P133 system. Workarounds/patches for older Voodoo1/2 games may be available for using with the Voodoo 3, but otherwise, generally, it's okay with most games.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 21 of 23, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

Difference of about 2fps between Virge VX/DX and Voodoo 3 PCI.

Thanks for this information. To clarify this statement for those who don't click that link, the Voodoo3 in Malik's test was about 2 fps faster in DOOM than the Virge DX.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 22 of 23, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my Voodoo 4 4500 is kind of not ideal on DOS, it gives me some artifacts with many 320x200 games I think (higher res seems fine), not sure if it's just the combination that I have (440BX, V4 PCI) or what, but it would make me worried about using a Voodoo for DOS

Reply 23 of 23, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

What is the DOS speed difference between a PCI S3 Trio or Virge and a PCI Voodoo3?

That will depend on the game, the video mode used, the CPU (is it a bottleneck?), and if you are using performance enhancing tools for the S3 (s3vbe20/s3spdup, potentially even mclk).
There are some comparisons on http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/benchmarks, but those use a faster Athlon XP so there is practically no CPU bottleneck.
I agree that a PCI Voodoo3 is a very good performer in DOS, but those are not common so it is kind of wasted in a slow Pentium. I would probably use one with a faster CPU (at least a faster K6-2 or P2/P3) if the board doesn't have AGP, the AGP slot has compatibility issues with a Voodoo3, or you want to use it alongside another (probably more powerful) AGP card.