VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

If you have any more info about these 64bit Voodoo 3 SLI cards I'm sure there are several people here who would like to know more. I've never heard of such a thing.😮

I don't think it was ever publicly released - our department got a hold of them pre-release from the manufacturer (don't recall the name, but it was a company I had never heard of then, and don't remember ever hearing the name again.)

As for benchmarks, it was rock-solid-stable at 60 fps no matter the settings. (We connected it to an early HDTV, so 60 fps was all it could do.) I know we did other benchmarking, but seem to recall it wasn't "ridiculously faster" than a more conventional high-end desktop. Too many oddball parallelism bottlenecks. The big thing was just that it never once dropped BELOW 60 fps.

Reply 21 of 22, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Galciv 2 is worth playing, it's a lot simpler than Galciv for Windows, but I don't see that as a bad thing. I've never actually used SMP based OS/2, though, as it was an extra cost option and rarely used on servers, let alone desktops.

Galciv will run fine on a VM or an old PC, unless you use a massive universe. The advantage with multithreading was that it could be run on a 486, and whilst you were fiddling with stats, the computer was calculating the NPC moves in the background.

Reply 22 of 22, by max1024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have dual P233MMX system. Install WinXP and 128MB EDO RAM, so what multicores benchmarks exists for non-SSE multicore systems? What can you advise me? I can use: Wprime32, PCMark2004 but what else that to easy compare for many systems, runnin also on WinXP. I do not want use sandra or Aida because there is many versions which gives differen results, Wprime32 is better that I know.

My articles: overclockers.ru/search/result?searchStr=max1024&sec=articles