VOGONS

Where to find old cases?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by jamesbeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AppleDash wrote:

Unfortunately, there's no USB to floppy adapter that just makes it show up as a regular drive. They all require special Windows software and are really only intended for archiving old disks.

Oh that's a pity 🙁
I hadn't given it much thought, and I guess I had a vague idea that they might show up as a mass storage device or something.

It doesn't really matter - I'm sure I would have grown tired of using floppies in short order anyway.
The floppy drives can just be there for decoration.

Reply 21 of 22, by WR3ND

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd love an internal PCIe to floppy, IDE, SCSI, etc. adapter card for my newer computer... 😢

At least I'll be able to use floppies and such on my new old 486 computer. But I digress. Carry on.

Oh yeah, and an old IBM horizontal desktop style case would be pretty sweet too. And I'm wondering about a turbo/clock speed LCD/lock drive bay panel too, instead of needing it on the case, but haven't really looked into it yet.

Reply 22 of 22, by jamesbeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a Compaq DeskPro on eBay. It had no bids and shipping was $30, which is about the maximum I'm willing to put into this project.
I had a sudden emergency at work, and I couldn't stop what I was doing to go on eBay, so the auction ended with no bids 🙁

What's worse is that the seller instantly relisted it, but this time the shipping has gone up to $40!
I guess he moved house or something 🤣...