VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
firage wrote:
leileilol wrote:

I wouldn't use WinImage for any imaging anymore after its read error dialogs you'd have to accept and its unsolicited replacement of the boot sector.

I'm not quite sure how people manage to screw up their boot sectors with the program. I have to assume they had already lost the original boot sectors for one reason or another.

It's all about pristine copies. Disks without boot sectors get a complimentary anachronistic WinImage booter regardless if your disk is read only or not.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 21 of 28, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

It's all about pristine copies. Disks without boot sectors get a complimentary anachronistic WinImage booter regardless if your disk is read only or not.

Ah, okay. Does it also affect "No system disk" type boot sectors ?
- I'm often using WinImage 3.0 on my 286 machines running Win 3.10, so I'm really curious. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 22 of 28, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had no idea about this winimage bs, HD-Copy adds a boot-sector but ONLY when you format a floppy with it - it does not touch images or ads it in any other situation

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 23 of 28, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Every one of my disks apparently came with a good enough boot sector, because never seen one tagged up by WinImage. I do check them, wouldn't trust the results otherwise. I'll have to specifically set up a test for this claim.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 24 of 28, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did some tests with WinImage 3.0/16bit and it does not add any bootsector on the images it creates. No idea if another version does that though.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25 of 28, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you very much for testing, keropi! 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 26 of 28, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I forgot one that I used before I discovered Daniel F. Valot's ARDI/EMT: IBM's loaddskf and savedskf. They both work in DOS or OS/2. As far as I know, EMT supports the *.dsk format so these are redundant. However, they can be found here and still work well:

ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/disk/loaddf.zip

Reply 27 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

I did some tests with WinImage 3.0/16bit and it does not add any bootsector on the images it creates. No idea if another version does that though.

The ones I used are further in the 2004+ range of versions...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 28 of 28, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
keropi wrote:

The ones I used are further in the 2004+ range of versions...

My experience is from the last couple major versions, v8.10 (2007) with Win9x and v9.0 (2015) with XP.

Sorry that WinImage commenting kind of takes over the thread, but it's always looming right there having to be addressed whenever floppy imaging on 90's PC's comes up.

My big-red-switch 486