VOGONS

Reply 20 of 53, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure why reading them is that big of a deal ?
The real question should be if it uses them ("Memory" tab from CPU-z), or just reads them (after you pick frequency from EPP) ?

dr_st wrote:

Dunno what it would do if there was both an EPP and a JEDEC profile for the same frequency.

IBT 1024 mini.png
Filename
IBT 1024 mini.png
File size
147.66 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

^I set four basic timings + tRFC + CR + Voltage + Frequency manually.

It does whatever is set in BIOS.
If you didn't set anything on timing side (you left it on AUTO), it always will use JEDEC profile (unless you enable EPP Profile from proper option [example from NV board in my earlier post]).

157143230295.png

Reply 21 of 53, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:

If you didn't set anything on timing side (you left it on AUTO), it always will use JEDEC profile

And what if there is no JEDEC profile for the matching frequency, like with my RAM?

Upon further inspection, I actually have no idea what it uses, because I just set the frequency to DDR2-667 (everything else is set to Auto), and strangely now CPU-Z shows which doesn't match any profile.

Conclusion, I guess, is that there is no way to be sure what 'Auto' settings will default to. To be sure, one should set timings and voltages manually.

I have a hard time believing the board would run the RAM at DDR2-1066 with the JEDEC profile of 800MHz, because that implies 1.8V and I don't think the RAM would even POST at 1.8V on 1066MHz. I would really need to look at the actual voltage, if possible. What is that tool that you have on your left that shows DDR voltage? Is that AIDA64? I have an older version of Everest Ultimate here and it doesn't show DDR voltage.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 22 of 53, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

Is that AIDA64? I have an older version of Everest Ultimate here and it doesn't show DDR voltage.

It looks like AIDA64/Everest to me and assuming it is then it will only show the actual DIMM voltages when the motherboard reports them.

Are they shown on the BIOS monitoring screen? If not then I suspect they can't be reported.

Reply 23 of 53, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red-ray wrote:

Are they shown on the BIOS monitoring screen? If not then I suspect they can't be reported.

Didn't find them, so perhaps you are right.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 24 of 53, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regular boards may not have it. I used Rampage Formula board though.
It has build-in voltage monitoring for most important stuff.
ROG line for LGA 775 has all bells and whistles when it comes to OC'ing 😀

IBT 1024 4,24GHz.png
Filename
IBT 1024 4,24GHz.png
File size
551.41 KiB
Views
File license

I agree to your statement :

I have a hard time believing the board would run the RAM at DDR2-1066 with the JEDEC profile of 800MHz, because that implies 1.8V and I don't think the RAM would even POST at 1.8V on 1066MHz.

Basicly, if your CPU-z and Everest show your RAM as working with 1066MHz effective clock, and at CL5 timings (while stable under full load), you can safely assume BIOS adjusted DRAM Voltage as was needed. You only can't be sure what it set 😒 (mulimeter probe + DRAM VRM choke is needed).

157143230295.png

Reply 25 of 53, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:

Regular boards may not have it. I used Rampage Formula board though.
It has build-in voltage monitoring for most important stuff.

Yep, you are right. This pic shows that the Rampage Formula has way more sensors exposed in the BIOS HW Monitor screen.

Reply 26 of 53, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote:
agent_x007 wrote:

You want me to buy OPs memory, OC it as I wrote in my post and post screenshots ?
Because I'm pretty sure every other screenshot I post will just get "shot down" as "using not correct memory".

As to how you justify your statements is up to you, all I specified is that I feel you need to justify them.

Further given OP specified ok safer and better to use the lower voltage ones rather the lower cas ones I suspect he does not wish to overclock his DIMMs.

yes, you are right, i do not wish overclock anything, never been into overclocking

Reply 27 of 53, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In that case, manually set Frequency to 800MHz and timings to CL5.5.5.18.
BIOS should keep DRAM Voltage at 1,8V level, even if it's left on [Auto].

PS. What board are you using ?
What plans do you have for this PC ?

157143230295.png

Reply 28 of 53, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
In that case, manually set Frequency to 800MHz and timings to CL5.5.5.18. BIOS should keep DRAM Voltage at 1,8V level, even if i […]
Show full quote

In that case, manually set Frequency to 800MHz and timings to CL5.5.5.18.
BIOS should keep DRAM Voltage at 1,8V level, even if it's left on [Auto].

PS. What board are you using ?
What plans do you have for this PC ?

what ram do you mean - lower timing/higher voltage or higher timings/lower voltage or both

this all readings from mobo bios

if i use only the higher timings/lower voltage ram and set my mobo to optimal, the timings all match

Memory Timing Settings
tCL - 5
tRCD - 5
tRP - 5
tRAS - 18
Command Per Clock - 2T

Advanced memory settings
tRRD - 3
tRC - 22
tWR - 5
tWTR - 9
tREF - 7.8us
i think the voltage reads on mobo - 1.87v

if i use only the lower timing/higher voltage ram and set my mobo to optimal, its say the same expect the voltage is a little bit higher at 1.93v

it this is greek to me

the mobo i am using is evga nvida 780i

plans for this rig is for xp/vista gaming (early 2000s - late 2000s)

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2019-10-27, 22:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29 of 53, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote:
Robhalfordfan wrote:

how do i that

It depends on which OS the system is running, if it's running Windows NT, 2K, XP or later then you could download the SIV32L.zip that's attached to SIV support for 386/486/586 class + Alpha CPUs and 3dfx + S3 + SiS + Matrox + XGI + old ATI + NVidia GPUs - Testing Help, extract the files, run SIV32L.exe then press the [ SPD ] button and post a screen shot similar to as below. You could either do this twice, once for each pair of DIMMs or assume all four will be OK @ 1.8 volts and install all four.

here is my one using siv32l program with the ram with higher timings and lower voltage

Attachments

• ram.JPG
    Filename
    ram.JPG
    File size
    221.02 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 30 of 53, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robhalfordfan wrote:
here is my one using siv32l program with the ram with higher timings and lower voltage […]
Show full quote

here is my one using siv32l program with the ram with higher timings and lower voltage

file.php?id=70926

That all looks much I would expect. Are you happy with just having 2GB or do you also wish to use the other two DIMMs?

Have you tried installing the other two DIMMs on their own and if so what did SIV report?

Given you selected set my mobo to optimal I suspect it would use the EPP timings assuming there are some, did it?

What other options are there? Is there a standard type option? If you select that with the 2.1 volt DIMMs installed I suspect they will use the same timings as the 1.8 volt ones in the above screen shot. What DIMM voltage gets used?

If they do and the DIMM voltage is also 1.87 then it's safe to install all 4 DIMMs.

Reply 31 of 53, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote:
That all looks much I would expect. Are you happy with just having 2GB or do you also wish to use the other two DIMMs? […]
Show full quote
Robhalfordfan wrote:
here is my one using siv32l program with the ram with higher timings and lower voltage […]
Show full quote

file.php?id=70926

That all looks much I would expect. Are you happy with just having 2GB or do you also wish to use the other two DIMMs?

Have you tried installing the other two DIMMs on their own and if so what did SIV report?

Given you selected set my mobo to optimal I suspect it would use the EPP timings assuming there are some, did it?

What other options are there? Is there a standard type option? If you select that with the 2.1 volt DIMMs installed I suspect they will use the same timings as the 1.8 volt ones in the above screen shot. What DIMM voltage gets used?

If they do and the DIMM voltage is also 1.87 then it's safe to install all 4 DIMMs.

i would to fill all four slots to (4gb ram), well what 32-bit windows can address by default

are the sticks in pics - 800mhz as i am confused by second pic and it say 800mhz during post along with timings and also 128bit (with two sticks installed) (64-bit with one stick installed)

i can see what the other two report and post pic despite i think one the other sticks is not working cause the mobo beeps at me before post

the only options i have in bios is optimal or expert (which allows changing the timings etc)

i can have look in bios and see if it using EPP

Reply 32 of 53, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robhalfordfan wrote:

are the sticks in pics - 800mhz as i am confused by second pic and it say 800mhz during post along with timings and also 128bit (with two sticks installed) (64-bit with one stick installed)

The 800MHz is the data rate which is double the clock speed as they are double data rate DIMMs. If you hover the mouse over the [ 800MHz Dual DDR2 RAM ] the tooltip should say this.

With one DIMM installed it's Single Channel rather than Dual Channel so 64-bits rather than 128-bits.

Can you remove the 1.8 volts DIMMs, install one of the the 2.1 volt DIMMs and post another SIV screen shot. BTW .PNG gives crisper images than .JPG.

Reply 33 of 53, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote:
The 800MHz is the data rate which is double the clock speed as they are double data rate DIMMs. If you hover the mouse over the […]
Show full quote
Robhalfordfan wrote:

The 800MHz is the data rate which is double the clock speed as they are double data rate DIMMs. If you hover the mouse over the [ 800MHz Dual DDR2 RAM ] the tooltip should say this.

With one DIMM installed it's Single Channel rather than Dual Channel so 64-bits rather than 128-bits.

Can you remove the 1.8 volts DIMMs, install one of the the 2.1 volt DIMMs and post another SIV screen shot. BTW .PNG gives crisper images than .JPG.

both sticks working

optimal setting in bios - lower timings/higher voltage

ram 2.PNG
Filename
ram 2.PNG
File size
87.86 KiB
Views
File license

manual setting in bios - lower timings/higher voltage

ram (manual).PNG
Filename
ram (manual).PNG
File size
74.46 KiB
Views
File license

optimal setting in bios - both sets of sticks

both set.PNG
Filename
both set.PNG
File size
83.58 KiB
Views
File license

Note - during post - a warning appeared saying that the system is in safe mode and to resit cpu or set memory settings

Reply 34 of 53, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robhalfordfan wrote:
https://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=70935 […]
Show full quote

file.php?id=70935

optimal setting in bios - lower timings/higher voltage

This does not add up as it's higher timings of 5-5-5-18-22 that are being used and the voltage is still 1.87, either was with these settings you should be safe to install all 4 DIMMs. Check you get the same with all 4 installed.

I suspect you will get around 3GB of usable memory as the GPU will be using some.

It's strange that no EPP data gets reported and wonder if it's been programmed. Can you do Menu->File->Save Local and post SIV_WINXP.txt + SIV_WINXP.dmi (ZIP them) so I can check the raw SPD data?

Reply 35 of 53, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robhalfordfan wrote:
optimal setting in bios - both sets of sticks https://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=70937 Note - during post - a warning a […]
Show full quote

optimal setting in bios - both sets of sticks
file.php?id=70937
Note - during post - a warning appeared saying that the system is in safe mode and to resit cpu or set memory settings

Ah you actually have 3 x 5DHX + 1 x 4DHX, given only 2.75GB can be used just install the 3 x 5DHX DIMMs which I suspect are all identical, are they?

Reply 36 of 53, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thats weird cause the label on lower timing sticks both say it 4dhx

here the txt and dmi files zipped and in set to all opimal setting in bios

Attachments

• Filename
    Both set of sticks.zip
    File size
    253.95 KiB
    Downloads
    33 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    high tim-low vol.zip
    File size
    104.06 KiB
    Downloads
    31 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    low tim-high vol.zip
    File size
    253.49 KiB
    Downloads
    32 downloads
    File license

Reply 37 of 53, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robhalfordfan wrote:

thats weird cause the label on lower timing sticks both say it 4dhx

Yes one of the weirder effects 😕 . When things like this happen it reminds me what I ask for SIV screen shots as without them I would never have spotted this. I was starting to wonder if I had a bug in SIV so compared the raw data and none of them have EPP.

file.php?id=70947

As you should see the only different is the 5DHX vs. the 4DHX. I would be inclined to remove the one that reports 4DHX and see if the system posts cleanly.

I guess you bought them as a matched set of four which clearly the are not, could you get a refund?

Attachments

• NO-EPP.png
    Filename
    NO-EPP.png
    File size
    64.41 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    None have EPP with arrows
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2019-10-28, 14:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 38 of 53, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is that a huge different

the whole lot only cost about £10, so nae a huge loss

if i were gonna with one set and buy more later on to fill all four slots

which is better the 5dhx or 4dhx or is there not much of a different, performance wise

what is epp

Reply 39 of 53, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robhalfordfan wrote:

which is better the 5dhx or 4dhx or is there not much of a different, performance wise

what is epp

Performance wise the 5DHX and 4DHX should be identical.

EPP is short for Enhanced Performance Profiles and when present tells the BIOS the DIMMs can run faster than the JEDEC speeds. The 4DHX should have EPP, but they don't 😢 . I have attached the EPP specification for your edification and delight 😲

BTW I noticed the GeForce GTX 580 fan speed if reported as 762,060 RPM which is clearly 🤣. I don't expect this is an issue with SIV, but rather a bug in NVIDIA NVAPI 368.81 which is the latest supported release. You can either ignore it or try an earlier NVidia Driver. I suspect such as HWiNFO will also report 762,060 RPM.

Attachments

• Filename
    DRAM EPP V1 Spec.pdf
    File size
    110.72 KiB
    Downloads
    33 downloads
    File comment
    EPP V1 Specification
    File license
    Public domain