VOGONS

Socket A or 754/939 for Windows 98SE

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by bootsec7or

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick Update:

I stumbled upon a fairly priced 4200 Ti so I might get it today while it's still up for sale 🤣. Thing is, I think it's only AGP 4x not 8x, are the speed differences that big ?

So we got: Nvidia GeForce 4200 Ti 128 MB vs. ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB

The ATI Card is 8x AFAIK.

The current resolution I play the games in is 1024x768. DOS Compatibility isn't that important, as I have said, I might only play some of the classics like Doom, Wolf3d etc. but the main focus is high performance in Windows98SE gaming up until 2003. Table Fog and 8-bit Paletted Textures isn't a necessity but would be a small plus.

Thanks !

GIGABYTE 7vT600P-RZ VIA KT600 Chipset
AMD Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
ATI Radeon 9600XT 128 MB
Geil 512 MB DDR400 PC3200 RAM
Maxtor DiamondMax SATA 80 GB
Windows 98 SE

Reply 21 of 22, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bootsec7or wrote on 2022-03-17, 12:56:

Quick Update:

I stumbled upon a fairly priced 4200 Ti so I might get it today while it's still up for sale 🤣. Thing is, I think it's only AGP 4x not 8x, are the speed differences that big ?

The AGP 4X variants are more desirable, they work with driver version 30.82, and based on my experience they are usually better overclockers (they usually have faster memory).
So, no, the AGP8X variants were just a marketing move, they are not faster in any way, these cards can barely saturate even an AGP 2X interface (yes, I've actually tested this).

bootsec7or wrote on 2022-03-17, 12:56:

The current resolution I play the games in is 1024x768. DOS Compatibility isn't that important, as I have said, I might only play some of the classics like Doom, Wolf3d etc. but the main focus is high performance in Windows98SE gaming up until 2003. Table Fog and 8-bit Paletted Textures isn't a necessity but would be a small plus.

2003 is definitely WinXP territory. 😀 My suggestion is to build a WinXP rig for 2003+ games. If you're looking to play 2003 games on Windows 98 (like Splinter Cell, for example - which is a pain to even install on Win98), then the Radeon 9600XT is definitely a much better option. 😀 But, when it comes to Win98, I would stick to 2001 (maybe a bit of 2002) and older games.
Either way, based on what you said, it seems like the Radeon 9600XT might be more suitable for your use case.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 22 of 22, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a sliding sweet spot of graphics interface speed and memory size that is a couple of years behind the maximums in hardware. BUT by the time that sweet spot catches up with the interface speed and mem size, you've got it on a GPU that's a couple of years out of date relative to the current ones. So if you bought the next gen speed and RAM size, you can sorta play the games 2 years down the road, but you're only doing as well as the budget GPUs that are then current. Maybe when considering retro, if you buy the top end RAM and IFspeed, you get a hypothetical year more range upward, but it ceases to be a good experience, and lacks newer DX features, but for the "core" range of the architecture, it makes tiny percentages of difference vs the middle/standard RAM and common interface speeds. There's also a play-off where the more RAM you've got the less you need the high interface speed, and the higher interface speed, the less you need the huge RAM.

It's a bit of a crock really, continuing since AGP 1x, where there was a collective "Oh noes, AGP is really slow feeding those textures into my 8MB card every time a new texture needed." so AGP 2x development started and by the time it came out, RAM prices halved and cards had 16/32MB holding way more textures at once. However, the speed is eventually needed, and should there be huge disruptions in RAM supply or there's some physical brick wall to process shrinking, then at least there's a couple of years slack in the interface speeds to cushion the performance shock. Meanwhile the only cards that "benefit" in their current era are the budget cards with bare minimum RAM yet fastest interface, and by "benefit" I mean it makes them a little less awful.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.