VOGONS

Period correct mouse for 486

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, though mine is completely debadged, so I cannot tell you the model.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 21 of 33, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My 486-33 came with a Z-nix serial mouse. While I didn't care for the white plastic which didn't match the PC and was quick to become dirty, admittedly it did work quite well.
Interestingly, this PC also came with a second 3-button mouse, included with the ATi Graphics Ultra that plugged into the bus mouse port on that card. It was made by a company called "Leaguer". I really liked the quality and feel of that one. For a while I tried to figure out how to adapt it to work on a PS/2 port, but eventually had to give up. Sadly, while in storage an actual mouse pissed into it and completely destroyed it....makes me sad.

Later I had Logitech Mousemans. Those were generally pretty good, but avoid the OEM versions like the plague. They use the same mouldings, but the quality of everything is much lower than the retail versions. I believe the OEM versions had black logos. For the record, I prefer the rectangular version to the one that is shaped like a hand.

Another mouse that I kind of thought was pretty cool was the blue Microsoft Home mouse. Not sure if it's better or worse than a regular MS mouse, but it looks cool and was a really good deal at the time.

While I like period correct builds, I'm willing to make an exception for the mouse. The old ball mice always got clogged up with shit, and just never really seemed to work right. The Amiga mouse was the absolute worst.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 22 of 33, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The diameter of the rollers was important. The large diameter rollers didn’t need cleaned as often and were easier to clean while those thinner rollers seemed like they needed cleaned daily in some environments and it was tough to get them clean again when they got really dirty.

Reply 23 of 33, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The best mouse in my opinion is the "Logitech mouseman from 1991" i hade this in 1992 with my 486. is PERFECTLY DX2 correct equipment.

Attachments

Reply 24 of 33, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, that was a good one. I much prefer the logitechs that had the old square logo, rather than the updated rounded one.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 25 of 33, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to ask.... i already have the mouse i post up there (logitech mouseman) but in serial version... it is possible to convert serial to PS/2? all my computer are IBM and have ps/2 connector (as all you know). PS/2 i always read thet is better than serial on this forum...

Reply 26 of 33, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlessandroB wrote on 2023-03-27, 14:54:

PS/2 i always read thet is better than serial on this forum...

It's better when available 😀
But here we mostly had "Made in Taiwan/R.O.C." products, so no PS/2.

Reply 27 of 33, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back in the day, it was always a bit of a fight between your mouse and modem for the serial ports, worse if you needed serial for other peripherals like palm pilot docks etc, but since serial port contention is much reduced in retrogame usage it's not so much trouble to use a serial mouse any more.... apart from availability and optical MUCH easier to find in PS/2

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 29 of 33, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

most serial mice are 1200bps, 3 byte report at 8-9 bits = max theoretical 44-50 reports per second, Mouse systems mouse 5 bytes x9 bits = ~25 reports per second. PS2 polling rate is 20-200Hz.

https://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse … ouse/mouse.html

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 30 of 33, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-03-27, 17:11:

most serial mice are 1200bps, 3 byte report at 8-9 bits = max theoretical 44-50 reports per second, Mouse systems mouse 5 bytes x9 bits = ~25 reports per second. PS2 polling rate is 20-200Hz.

https://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse … ouse/mouse.html

and this "more resolution" is noticed in normal use/gaming use?

Reply 31 of 33, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it influences how fast you can move cursor, in 320x200 games no difference, in higher resolution windows cursor might be too slow?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 32 of 33, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-03-27, 18:16:

in higher resolution windows cursor might be too slow?

Isn't this is why mouse drivers usually employ acceleration when you move the mouse faster than certain threshold?

Reply 33 of 33, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vstrakh wrote on 2023-03-27, 19:09:
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-03-27, 18:16:

in higher resolution windows cursor might be too slow?

Isn't this is why mouse drivers usually employ acceleration when you move the mouse faster than certain threshold?

Acceleration in this case means "dynamic speed" (...almost fits the physics definition!), I think it's more about making the most of a finite size mousepad - some version of Windows called it "enhanced pointer precision", as in "you can leave the base «speed» low enough to easily aim at something without making large movements tedious", so basically approaching the problem in reverse 😀