MSI 9105 only one cpu recognised

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 64, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-02, 18:20:
BoYan wrote on 2023-04-02, 18:16:

Did anyone before me suggest that you try at first only 1 CPU in 1st and later in 2nd socket to see if both socket work?

Yeah, have two pairs. All 4 work.

He suggests to test the second socket (if this is supported) with a CPU working in the first one, I think you understood to test all your CPUs in the first socket maybe. Just asking to be sure.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 22 of 64, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-02, 18:32:

MPS 1.4

Good, but Menu->Hardware->BIOS Tables->MPS will say more.

Looking at [Machine] I can tell is CPU is present, but thinking back to the AIDA64 screen I guess it's disabled.

file.php?id=161387

As you can see there are multiple reasons it could be disabled, I wonder which one is it? My guess is that it's Disabled By BIOS (POST Error), but I don't know of any utility that will report this level of detail. If you do Menu->File->Save->Save System BIOS and post the .DMI file I will check what the value is and update SIV 5.70 Beta-04 to report it. If you did Menu->File->Save Local and posted both files this would answer all the questions I could possibly ask.

Attachments

• CPU Status.png
    Filename
    CPU Status.png
    File size
    105.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 23 of 64, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-02, 19:01:

The board cannot boot with one cpu on the second socket.
If in single mode, the cpu needs to be put in cpu1 socket.

Is this specified to be the case of just what you have noted? With my TYAN S2466 Tiger MPX I can use just one CPU in either socket, but I am unsure about my other dual socket/slot systems.

Reply 24 of 64, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2023-04-02, 19:15:
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-02, 19:01:

The board cannot boot with one cpu on the second socket.
If in single mode, the cpu needs to be put in cpu1 socket.

Is this specified to be the case of just what you have noted? With my TYAN S2466 Tiger MPX I can use just one CPU in either socket, but I am unsure about my other dual socket/slot systems.

It is specified.

Reply 25 of 64, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2023-04-02, 19:08:
Good, but Menu->Hardware->BIOS Tables->MPS will say more. […]
Show full quote
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-02, 18:32:

MPS 1.4

Good, but Menu->Hardware->BIOS Tables->MPS will say more.

Looking at [Machine] I can tell is CPU is present, but thinking back to the AIDA64 screen I guess it's disabled.

file.php?id=161387

As you can see there are multiple reasons it could be disabled, I wonder which one is it? My guess is that it's Disabled By BIOS (POST Error), but I don't know of any utility that will report this level of detail. If you do Menu->File->Save->Save System BIOS and post the .DMI file I will check what the value is and update SIV 5.70 Beta-04 to report it. If you did Menu->File->Save Local and posted both files this would answer all the questions I could possibly ask.

I am afraid I am not able to see
Menu->Hardware->BIOS Tables->MPS
Where is “menu” field??
And [Machine] field seems to me that is identical with one or two cpu installed.
Anyway, I think it is an electrical problem, maybe the bad caps were too bad AND the recap was not done properly.

Guess the seller fooled me, and I am pretty sure he is watching this thread as well.

What can I say?
Life is a circle…

Reply 26 of 64, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-02, 19:22:

Where is “menu” field??

A picture is worth a 1000 words. I have also attached the SIV32X V5.70 POST-04 test SIV that with a bit of luck should report the CPU status on [Machine], does it please?

I was hoping to test it with the .DMI file, so fingers crossed I got the code right.

Attachments

Last edited by red-ray on 2023-04-03, 08:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 64, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2023-04-02, 20:03:

Where is “menu” field??

A picture is worth a 1000 words. I have also attached the SIV32X V5.70 POST-04 test SIV that with a bit of luck should report the CPU status on [Machine], does it please?

I was hoping to test it with the .DMI file, so fingers crossed I got the code right.

This is what I see

Attachments

Reply 28 of 64, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-02, 20:26:

This is what I see

Oh! It's disabled in the BIOS, are you sure there is no BIOS setup option to do this?

I assume you have tried re-flashing the BIOS, I suspect several times, have you?

To take screen shots either press PrtSc or Alt+PrtSc then paste it into such as mspaint and save as .PNG.

I was expecting [MPS] to show both CPUs with one being off-line, maybe this only happens when the error is CPU Disabled By BIOS (POST Error).

Reply 29 of 64, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2023-04-02, 21:00:
Oh! It's disabled in the BIOS, are you sure there is no BIOS setup option to do this? […]
Show full quote
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-02, 20:26:

This is what I see

Oh! It's disabled in the BIOS, are you sure there is no BIOS setup option to do this?

I assume you have tried re-flashing the BIOS, I suspect several times, have you?

To take screen shots either press PrtSc or Alt+PrtSc then past it into such as mspaint and save as .PNG.

I was expecting [MPS] to show both CPUs with one being off-line, maybe this only happens when the error is CPU Disabled By BIOS (POST Error).

There is no option in the bios to enable or disable one cpu.
I am sure someone with the same board here can confirm.
Actually I am surprised no one showed up already…
The issue was exactly the same with the old 1.1 bios, after update it stayed.
Do not know what to say.

Reply 31 of 64, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And [Machine] field seems to me that is identical with one or two cpu installed.

I just noticed this and it makes no sense at all. When one CPU is removed the bit-6 in the status byte should change, it did on my TYAN S2466 Tiger MPX and AFAIK does on the 19 other multi-socket systems own.

Would it be sensible for you to post the two [Machine] screen shots so I can see if I can spot a difference?

Reply 32 of 64, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-02, 21:12:

red_ray you may be on to something since the readout is same and should be different (am no expert on your tool but it totally makes sense).
There must be something interfering with the BIOS detecting and using the second cpu proper. The Sspec of SL5QL and SL5LW show they are same cpu, just OEM versus retail. Cannot imagine that being an issue but could be.
I am curious if the Logo-modded bios might have a touch of corruption. I have in my archive the 1.20 and 1.31b orig bios plus some modded ones but not a 1.1 for MS-9105 AKA Pro266TD_MasterLR. Did not know it existed.
The 1.1 may not have support for your exact CPU's but this guy got his dual PIII Tualatin-S 1.26Ghz appearantly running just fine on 1.2 and 1.31 if I read it proper, even overclocked it on same board.
http://web.archive.org/web/20030921173143/htt … -9105/index.htm.
added: Yes I know you already looked at that page. Will dig thru MSI archive to see if they have a supported cpu list. Maybe only certain Sspec are coded in BIOS for dual support....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 33 of 64, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2023-04-03, 02:04:
red_ray you may be on to something since the readout is same and should be different (am no expert on your tool but it totally m […]
Show full quote

red_ray you may be on to something since the readout is same and should be different (am no expert on your tool but it totally makes sense).
There must be something interfering with the BIOS detecting and using the second cpu proper. The Sspec of SL5QL and SL5LW show they are same cpu, just OEM versus retail. Cannot imagine that being an issue but could be.
I am curious if the Logo-modded bios might have a touch of corruption. I have in my archive the 1.20 and 1.31b orig bios plus some modded ones but not a 1.1 for MS-9105 AKA Pro266TD_MasterLR. Did not know it existed.
The 1.1 may not have support for your exact CPU's but this guy got his dual PIII Tualatin-S 1.26Ghz appearantly running just fine on 1.2 and 1.31 if I read it proper, even overclocked it on same board.
http://web.archive.org/web/20030921173143/htt … -9105/index.htm.
added: Yes I know you already looked at that page. Will dig thru MSI archive to see if they have a supported cpu list. Maybe only certain Sspec are coded in BIOS for dual support....

Thanks but at the moment ai have two SL5XL on it that happily work on a 370DLE togheter (with LinLin adapter).

Reply 34 of 64, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2023-04-02, 21:16:
There is no option in the bios to enable or disable one cpu. I am sure someone with the same board here can confirm. Actually I […]
Show full quote
red-ray wrote on 2023-04-02, 21:00:
Oh! It's disabled in the BIOS, are you sure there is no BIOS setup option to do this? […]
Show full quote

To take screen shots either press PrtSc or Alt+PrtSc then past it into such as mspaint and save as .PNG.

There is no option in the bios to enable or disable one cpu.
I am sure someone with the same board here can confirm.
Actually I am surprised no one showed up already…
Do not know what to say.

Have you fanatically checked all traces to be sure nothing is cut, broken or damaged?

Here the back of the cpu2 zone, where three caps have been replaced. Before and after cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.

Attachments

Reply 35 of 64, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This'll probably not achieve much but did you try playing around with 'MPS Version Control For OS' in BIOS?

In a German forum there are two people reporting their board misbehaving after a recap. Two people complaining is just an anecdote though.🤷‍♂️

Reply 36 of 64, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2023-04-03, 05:19:

This'll probably not achieve much but did you try playing around with 'MPS Version Control For OS' in BIOS?

In a German forum there are two people reporting their board misbehaving after a recap. Two people complaining is just an anecdote though.🤷‍♂️

Will check and update again the bios.
But this was even before recapping, that is why I spent money and time to do a close-to full recap.

Reply 38 of 64, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-03, 04:43:

Here the back of the cpu2 zone, where three caps have been replaced. Before and after cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.

Check red area

Attachments

• alert.jpg
    Filename
    alert.jpg
    File size
    454.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 39 of 64, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shevalier wrote on 2023-04-03, 08:58:
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-03, 04:43:

Check red area

Thanks
What is cuprum bridge?