Memtest86 needed for 286 1MB RAM

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2023-04-16, 14:53:
@mKarcher That's all fine and true, but couldn't you have used a more.. simple language? Assuming the person you speak to is a b […]
Show full quote

@mKarcher That's all fine and true, but couldn't you have used a more.. simple language?
Assuming the person you speak to is a beginner (or new to the specific matter), the flood of information isn't exactly helpful.

[...]

The quote is just a reminder that simple language has its place, even when it comes to smart people.

I am quite aware that the person I am replying to is likely a beginner. That's exactly why there is such a flood of information. There is a lot of things to understand, and thus a lot of things need to be explained. If I expected to be talking to an experienced troubleshooter, my reply could have been: "Try one bank of memory at once; try disabling expanded memory; EMM386 is for software EMS, you deal with hardware EMS". The remaining of the post is just meant to be explaining what this means, explaining the required concepts in a way that even the beginner is able to understand what all this stuff is about.

If you consider my explanation un-understandable for beginners, feel free to provide a more succint answer to the questions of the OP. Furthermore it might help to point out at what point I failed to use beginner-adequate language. I tried to choose words wisely to make them more beginner-friendly, like calling the EMS page frame a "window", and not talking about the concept of "pages" at all.

Reply 21 of 28, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a big time laugh reading you guys I'm delighted what you all said and please don't change I like it either when something is said in simple to understand terms or when its complicated as I think more and search too or ask questions about a given topic, you guys are awesome so stay awesome. I'll try removing 512K of ram and doing a test but my power is going out for power line maintenance soon so I might be a day or more getting back online and I'm in the country so there's no local library to get connected.

Reply 22 of 28, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been testing all sorts of different RAM in this motherboard and they all come up pretty much the same with errors but then out of dumb luck I didn't install any ram and powered it on and guess what there is 1MB of system RAM on the motherboard, If I put half of the 4 populated slots in i.e. only two sticks in bank 2 it still has 1MB, if I fill all banks (2+3) its still 1MB and removing all RAM still has 1MB, I cant get the RAM sticks to be seen on this motherboard it might be because there is a jumper "JP5" next to bank 2 but I don't have a motherboard manual or jumper settings but I found the motherboard online but its limited see below

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/unknown-ht-12-286

How do I get the RAM to be seen on this motherboard?

Attachments

• Onboard 1MB.jpg
    Filename
    Onboard 1MB.jpg
    File size
    1.34 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Motherboard edit.jpg
    Filename
    Motherboard edit.jpg
    File size
    1.78 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 23 of 28, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

According to the completely unreliable documentation for this board, in order to exceed 1MB you need to remove the on-board memory and use 1MB SIMMS (in pairs, either 2 or 4).
Also make sure this is not one of those boards that you need to specify the RAM amount in BIOS

Reply 24 of 28, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GabrielKnight123 wrote on 2023-05-08, 09:23:

I've been testing all sorts of different RAM in this motherboard and they all come up pretty much the same with errors but then out of dumb luck I didn't install any ram and powered it on and guess what there is 1MB of system RAM on the motherboard, If I put half of the 4 populated slots in i.e. only two sticks in bank 2 it still has 1MB, if I fill all banks (2+3) its still 1MB and removing all RAM still has 1MB, I cant get the RAM sticks to be seen on this motherboard it might be because there is a jumper "JP5" next to bank 2 but I don't have a motherboard manual or jumper settings but I found the motherboard online but its limited see below

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/unknown-ht-12-286

How do I get the RAM to be seen on this motherboard?

Yes, konc is right.
As you can read between the DIL DRAMs and the BIOS ROMs, the banks are named 0 and 1. The SIMM banks also are named 0 and 1.
So I'd recommend too to remove the DIL DRAMs and to continue testing your SIMMs.

Reply 26 of 28, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GabrielKnight123 wrote on 2023-05-08, 14:02:

Thanks for the heads up I'll remove the onboard Ram and continue testing, does anyone have the jumper settings for this board?

At the link you posted from theretroweb.com click "downloads", there is a small pdf.