VOGONS

Reply 20 of 20, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2023-05-24, 06:54:
predator_085 wrote on 2023-05-24, 06:39:
This brings me to another question. Would be possible to use DOS box on retro pc? I played around with the DOS box on my modern […]
Show full quote

This brings me to another question. Would be possible to use DOS box on retro pc? I played around with the DOS box on my modern ryzen 3 rig and besides weird sound glitches the games were running ok

The DOS Box could even emulate for 3dfx look for the first Tomb Raider. I just knew the Playstation and Sega Saturn Version and DOS version locked so much better. It was cool.

In case if I can run DOS box on my upcoming retro rig minus the sound problems I would be more than happy.

What do you think what would be better? Focusing on pure Win 98 machine and use DOS Box for DOS or would be a time machine rig with real DOS capabilities a better choice?

IMO, using DOSBox on a retro PC just... completely defeats the purpose of having a retro PC in the first place. Also, keep in mind that more demanding games will require beefier CPUs to properly emulate the faster hardware.
Bottom line, it's best to run DOSBox on modern systems only, that's where it makes the most sense.

Yes this makes sense. Then I will either go with the real deal with the time machine or skip the DOS specifications all together. I will think about it and then make my final decision.