VOGONS

Schneider Euro PC

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 214, by RetroBard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the EuroPC FDD is 720 kb only.

On another note, I’ve been trying to find an original PSU for my EuroPC. I have a DIY PSU from Mean Well that get’s the job done, but would prefer an original one.

Reply 201 of 214, by Kekkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes it only supports 720k disks... but usually one can use 1.44Mb disks by just covering the left side hole, so the disk is "720kb", works with amiga. Problem is disk's are slightly different and read write heads are different on drives, some work others doesn't.
I think I have aligned amiga drive so that it reads these "fake" disks since I have only few real 720k disks.
Easiest and surest method would be to use 1.44Mb HD drive as 720k, but its pretty difficult because Euro Pc doesn't use standard interface.

Reply 202 of 214, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, how about using the external floppy drive port?

http://www.classiccomputer.de/ams/scheuropc.htm

It's being wired to drive B: and meant for 5,25" 360k drive, I suppose, but maybe it can be changed in CMOS Setup?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 203 of 214, by Kekkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes its possible to use external port with even gotek. I think there are guides even in this thread.
But those are last resort options, since my drive is actually working and reads 720k disks. I would just like to try to align it to read 1.44Mb disks converted to 720k.
So I'm trying to find (easy to use) program like amiga test kit for amiga for pc. So I can try to align Euro Pc original drive.

Reply 204 of 214, by Jinxter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kekkula wrote on 2024-04-04, 17:25:

Yes its possible to use external port with even gotek. I think there are guides even in this thread.

I made a 37 seconds video on Gotek on EuroPC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktjXEp0Ztso

Check out my YouTube channel: Retro Erik https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroErik
My collection: https://retro.hageseter.com

Reply 205 of 214, by DoutorHouse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jinxter wrote on 2024-04-04, 18:00:
Kekkula wrote on 2024-04-04, 17:25:

I made a 37 seconds video on Gotek on EuroPC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktjXEp0Ztso

Thanks!

You guys don't happen to have any english software for the Euro PC series? I have some original floppies but my german is "rusty"... 😀 Thanks!

Reply 206 of 214, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kekkula wrote on 2024-04-04, 15:34:

Is there similar program to pc where you can put the machine to read single track and then adjust alignment on the fly?

I have no first-hand experience, but I watched a couple of youtube video in which people successfully used IMD for that purpose.

Reply 207 of 214, by Kekkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I already tried to make disk to run imd... but you can't run imd from floppy disk 😁
But I finally found old enough drive and it reads perfectly "fake" 720k disks.
So next task is to figure out why I can't get monochrome picture from internal graphics chip.
All the signals looks "alright", so I ended up ordering mce2hdmi from serdashop to rule out my self made cable and questionable monitor I have.

Reply 208 of 214, by Kekkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think the problem with monochrome is that my machine outputs 49Hz signal in text mode, and my philips pro 7BM743 cannot sync to that signal.
It syncs to 50Hz signal in hercules games though.

Attachments

Reply 210 of 214, by Jinxter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RetroBard wrote on 2024-05-18, 15:24:

I’m tempted to get a PicoMem for my EuroPC. It’s really versatile with floppy, hdd, networking, USB and Ad Lib.

So far PicoMEM does not work with EuroPC 1. It works fine with EuroPC II.

Check out my YouTube channel: Retro Erik https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroErik
My collection: https://retro.hageseter.com

Reply 211 of 214, by RetroBard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jinxter wrote on 2024-05-18, 15:28:
RetroBard wrote on 2024-05-18, 15:24:

I’m tempted to get a PicoMem for my EuroPC. It’s really versatile with floppy, hdd, networking, USB and Ad Lib.

So far PicoMEM does not work with EuroPC 1. It works fine with EuroPC II.

That’s interesting. Mine is an EuroPC 1, actually. Is there any significant difference between the two except the base RAM and the power supply?

Reply 212 of 214, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kekkula wrote on 2024-05-18, 13:07:

I think the problem with monochrome is that my machine outputs 49Hz signal in text mode, and my philips pro 7BM743 cannot sync to that signal.
It syncs to 50Hz signal in hercules games though.

Hmm, that's interesting. An original MDA card uses a 16.257MHz crystal, whereas the Hercules Card, and obviously also the Euro PC uses the way more common frequency of 16.000MHz. It seems the BIOS uses the default text mode parameters optimized for 16.257MHz, while the Hercules game uses graphics mode parameters optimized for 16.000MHz. As your last photo shows, it's not the vertical rate of 49Hz that is troublesome, but the horizontal rate of 882 pixels (55.125µs) corresponding to 18.14kHz instead of the nominal MDA/Hercules horizontal sync rate of 18.43kHz you would get at 16.257 MHz pixel clock. On the other hand, the graphics mode has 864 pixels (54µs) corresponding to 18.52kHz.

I checked the original Hercules card documentation. The 864 pixel timing for the graphics mode matches the vendor recommendation. The "horizontal cycle length" is the first number programmed in the CRTC, and in graphics mode, it is measured in units of 16 pixels, and furthermore, the value programmed into the timing generator (the CRTC) is one less than the effective value. The vendor documentation specifies 35h, which is the hexadecimal representation of the decimal number 53, so the horizontal cycle is 54 units of 16 pixels, which is 864 pixels. In text mode, the horizontal timing is based on characters of 9 pixels. Hercules specifies 61h, which is the hexadecimal representation of 97, so the horizontal cycle is 98 units of 9 pixels, which is 882 pixels indeed. So the Euro PC BIOS behaves exactly to specification. If you would decrease the horizontal cycle length register by two, you would end up at the same 864 pixels as the graphics mode does. Changing that hardware configuration byte would only last until the text mode is reinitialized, either by "mode mono" or by some hercules game, which might just apply the vendor recommended text mode values instead of using the BIOS to re-initialize text mode. While one can easily write a TSR that modifies the "video parameter table" used by the BIOS to produce a 60 Hz text mode, this will not help with games that manually program the "standard values". I suspect Hercules just copied the MDA timing values for maximum compatiblity with the IBM PC BIOS.

You can find the service manual for the 7BM734 at https://archive.org/details/manual_7BM74300B0 … T_SM_PHILIPS_EN . It specifies horizontal frequencies between 17.3kHz and 18.7 kHz (as well as vertical frequencies between 42.6 and 50.5Hz), so your monitor is clearly out of specification if it rejects 18.14kHz horizontal frequency. If you feel confident, you could try to re-adjust the horizontal oscillator, using the adjustable resistor R517. The schematics show a slanted picture saying "TV" next to it, but the PCB layout indicates a label "H-HOLD". I expect that you can not access that adjustment without removing the cover, although the PCB layout diagram and photos of the back side are inconclusive on it. If you need to open the monitor, it is best to use insulated tools and have a second person around while you adjust it, because CRT monitors have dangerous high voltages inside. R517 itself is not connected to any dangerous voltage, though.

Reply 213 of 214, by Kekkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your detailed reply.
I got picture out of the monitor in dos prompt with tseng et3000 card.
So I have to hook up RGBtoHDMI to that card and see what kind of signal it outputs.
And compare it to Euro Pc output.

edit:
Philips monitor syncs fine with tseng 3000 mda signal 😐

Attachments

Reply 214 of 214, by Kekkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AAARRRRGGGHH!!!
Now the keyboard membrane broke!
I can't get system running any more because it complains about wrong video mode, and asks to press ctrl alt esc to goto bios or F1 to continue.
I can't do neither because whole first row of keys are not working 🤬
I ordered conducting pen from china, see if I can repair the break.
I also found this.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd … Mx&opi=89978449
But it's over 70€ for five PCBs, and I only need one 😬