VOGONS

What retro activity did you get up to today?

Topic actions

Reply 2540 of 27785, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today Im turning this

CPUs_with_bent_pins.JPG

into this

CPUs_with_more_or_less_streight_pins.JPG

It's very fun.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2542 of 27785, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Beegle wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Today Im turning this

into this

It's very fun.

Nice spell you used! Looks like CEMOXIL worked very well.

57-spell_book_beburtt copy.jpg

CPU necromancy! 😀

I do not really bother with making the pins perfect at this stage just close enough. If necessary I do some final adjustments to the pins when I test the CPU.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2543 of 27785, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In another thread Phil and I were talking about V3-1000 and Velocity and I remembered I once saw some Voodoo 3 without it's heatsink in a thrift store, so I went up the attic and browsed through boxes of unrelated stuff (mostly just untested parts put together) and yup! Apparently I bought it! 😁
So I decided to bring all the other graphics card related stuff along downstairs but I accidentally dropped a box with just 2 graphics cards in them, the cards had fallen out, put those back in the box and went to the living room.

Turned out the 2 cards in the box were 2 AGP cards...a Banshee and *gasp* a Voodoo 4 doh!
I dropped a Voodoo 4, wtf am I doing! 😵

edit: Turned out the V3 without heatsink must be the Compaq V3 3500 btw, but as I got it with it's heatsink already removed, it's probably dead. Oh well, can't always have it your way 😁

Last edited by Tetrium on 2015-12-29, 20:07. Edited 2 times in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2544 of 27785, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone carries 3 bottles of water and a bottle of wine. Person trips and one bottle falls to the floor. It's the bottle of wine of course 🤣

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2545 of 27785, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Next time you drop some voodoo4, drop em at my place, especially if it is a pci version.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2546 of 27785, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally, I'm done! Finished going through all my boxes of graphics cards! My neck aches and my eyes hurt 🤣!
Well...almost finished..can't be bothered to go through my box of VLB stuff and theres probably not much interesting in there.
....and I forgot my PCI-E cards? oh noes 🙁

meljor wrote:

Next time you drop some voodoo4, drop em at my place, especially if it is a pci version.

Alas, both my V4s are AGP. Fastest 3DFX I have in PCI is a single V3 3k which I haven't tested yet I think. It's also my only V3 PCI with SGRAM.
Those V4 PCI ones were always hard to find, I never managed to track one down and the V5's were always a bit too expensive for my taste.

Report spammers here!

Reply 2547 of 27785, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Currently going through my NES cartridge collection. I bought a large lot last year and never got around to testing/sorting anything.
Also choosing which ones will stay, and which will be sold.

There was a lot of 3 vintage computers being given away locally on kijiji. One was beige and yellowed which is always a good sign of retro-ness. By the time I got around to calling the ad had disappeared. That will teach me to wait!

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 2548 of 27785, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:

There is also 7950GT AGP.

I can only find that on eBay in a PCI-E version, but that's fine, I'll take your word for it and assume that it'd be priced way out of my range too. 😀

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 2549 of 27785, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Brought an IBM NetVista from the US to NL yesterday. Forgot to switch voltage: blew up the PSU and probably the MOBO and so on. 😢

Reply 2550 of 27785, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is why you should live in a 230V country, when you travel abroad things don't let out their magic smoke. Nah, I'm just messing. It sucks, I've never done that personally, but I've mixed up the 5V and 12V rails on a non-standard PSU once and ended up cooking the hard drive and the PSU itself. Not fun.

Personally, I think they should slowly work to standardize one system worldwide and have done with it. For example, as each home is rewired, start introducing a double outlet which might include a US plug and a UK plug each supplying its respective voltage. Later rewiring would be far enough into the future that the appliances would then either be 230V or the user would just have to purchase step-downs if they wanted to run their old stuff and the plugs they had would not fit the 230V outlet. The average person buys new things quite often anyway, so this would almost never come up.

Whilst we're at it, they need to choose a language too. I'd happily learn a new one if everyone else in the world spoke it, though I guess I am fortunate as a lot of people have chosen to learn English. These people, ironically, often speak better English than a native English speaker.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 2551 of 27785, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:

Brought an IBM NetVista from the US to NL yesterday. Forgot to switch voltage: blew up the PSU and probably the MOBO and so on. 😢

Omg that sucks 🙁

That's kinda worse then the one time I found a 17in CRT monitor, with a "Still works!" marked onto it someplace, on the street and brought it home by bike, cycling 15km with the thing balanced on my steering wheel the entire way and watching every little tiny bump and it was through suburban areas mostly also (stopping at traffic lights was a pain, I'll tell you!). Next day I tried the monitor and the only thing it did was make some funny electrical sound and produce lots of smoke 🤣
My bedroom smelled like a chemical mess for hours 😵

Report spammers here!

Reply 2552 of 27785, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

I hope IBM included some overvoltage+overcurrent protection in their PSUs.

Brazil is a mess regarding voltage standards. Parts of the country use 110V, other parts use two 127V rails with a 60° phase between them, creating a 220V voltage from rail-to-rail (thus you can have both 220V and 127V outlets on the same house), and some other parts have a single 220V phase. Burning things, in Brazil, is a VERY real problem. I have the habit of always switching stuff to 220V/230V regardless of the outlet they were plugged into when storing, just so there is no risk to burn them if someone else plugs the equipment without looking.

This things was further worsened when our government decided to change the wall sockets to a brazilian-only standard. We used the sockets shown as 2 and 4, and then the one labeled as 6 for high current applications. This allowed an unnoficial standard in many workplaces: use socket 4 for 110V/127V outlets and 2 for 220V ones. Since most of what you'd wanna plug in a 110V outlet would have the third pin (expensive imported stuff, some computers, printers, etc.), this prevented people from accidentally exploding equipment. Now we only have one standard (the one under the green arrow), and EVERYTHING that has a third pin needs an adapter: new equipment with the third pin won't plug on old outlets (those without will plug into outlets 2 and 4 just fine), and old equipment that used american-style plugs can't go on the new outlets. Now it is absurdly common to get adapters without the ground pin, which will suddenly allow 110V equipment to be plugged in the wrong outlets.

nbr14136_7em1_siemens_75.jpg

A few months ago I was building a Pentium Dual Core machine at our lab in the university from spare parts as we needed a machine that would no nothing but control a 3D printer. The only spare power cord I found used the new standard, and I just handled the plug to a friend (that was nearer the outlets) and asked him to plug it in. I had then already switched the PSU for 110V (as every PC in the lab is plugged to 110V outlets, and I was going to plug it in one as well) and he just plugged it into the wrong outlet. Magic smoke appeared, and the circuit breaker for the room interrupted our power (so a nasty short must have occurred). Luckly the PSU was the only thing to go.

Reply 2553 of 27785, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:

Installed whatsap on my Nokia 5800. 🤣

Really? There is whatsapp for the 5800? S60 V5?

There is some stuff in the mail I can't wait to pick up 😀
Some Videologic goodness 😁

Reply 2554 of 27785, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sedrosken wrote:
kixs wrote:

I can only find that on eBay in a PCI-E version, but that's fine, I'll take your word for it and assume that it'd be priced way out of my range too. 😀

Here is one ended auction not too long ago.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2555 of 27785, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uploaded manuals for 9 pieces of different retro hardware, to vogons driver's.
This including motherboards such as nearly the complete P2B line. 😉
(i remember a member was hunting for one of them)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2556 of 27785, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:
Sedrosken wrote:
kixs wrote:

Here is one ended auction not too long ago.

Yeah, that's far more than I'm willing to sink into a machine that's only about ten years old. If it were much older, I'd relent, and if it were much newer, I'd relent, but right now it's in that sweet spot where everything for it should be ridiculously cheap. The 7600GS I bought has 512MB VRAM (minimum required for Skyrim, though I HAVE ran it on a 256MB card and was impressed with the results) and cost less than half what that auction ended at anyway.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 2557 of 27785, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We will have to hook up the MOBO to another ATX PSU and see what happens. I have a terrible cold though so not up to much.

Reply 2558 of 27785, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got my old 486 with SB16 and 64MB Ram (hehe) up and running today with RCR.

Osborne_486_wRCR_small.jpg

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 2559 of 27785, by Oldbitcollector

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tested and formatted my rather large stack of used 80gb hard drives and recycled ZIP disks. I tend to get a little nervous about having a drive/disk with data with "unknown" content given the strange, and sometime illegal materials that folks download from the internet. It's job that's been on my todo list for a couple weeks... Done.