Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25413 of 53166, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

Seems to be Dual-Socket 7 time 😀 Didnt know they even exist not long ago, now ordered the 2nd: Gigabyte GA-586DX
Also from a scrap lot, dont know if working.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

It looks pretty much complete to me, no missing parts.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 25414 of 53166, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote:

[...]

Seems to be Dual-Socket 7 time 😀 Didnt know they even exist not long ago, now ordered the 2nd: Gigabyte GA-586DX
Also from a scrap lot, dont know if working.

Nice board! It has two tag RAMs so can cache the full 512MB. Let's hope it works 😀

Reply 25415 of 53166, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
stamasd wrote:

Skipping the political discussion;

I may have a lead on some manuals and disk images for the WysePC 286. If I'm able to obtain them I'll post them, probably in a separate thread.

I dont think you need many docs/drivers for this board. Most should be straightforward.

One thing that I do need is the BIOS setup disk. In that era that wasn't built into the onboard ROM but came as a program on a disk. I don't know what BIOS this board has so the generic gsetup.exe may or may not work. That's why I want the specific setup program. Otherwise the board may not recognize/use any hardware I add.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25416 of 53166, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this board is totally standard, like #1 and #18 here:
80286 BIOS image collection

You only have to enter the values for Floppy/HDD into the CMOS, this can be done with any utility if not possible within the BIOS.

Also no other special features here wich would require a Setup Disk.

Reply 25417 of 53166, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got the following:

WP_20180929_005.jpg
Filename
WP_20180929_005.jpg
File size
2 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
WP_20180929_006.jpg
Filename
WP_20180929_006.jpg
File size
1.94 MiB
Views
File license
WP_20180929_009.jpg
Filename
WP_20180929_009.jpg
File size
534.86 KiB
Views
File license
WP_20180929_007.jpg
Filename
WP_20180929_007.jpg
File size
486.63 KiB
Views
File license
WP_20180929_008.jpg
Filename
WP_20180929_008.jpg
File size
408.48 KiB
Views
File license

Greetings

Reply 25418 of 53166, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
I think this board is totally standard, like #1 and #18 here: 80286 BIOS image collection […]
Show full quote

I think this board is totally standard, like #1 and #18 here:
80286 BIOS image collection

You only have to enter the values for Floppy/HDD into the CMOS, this can be done with any utility if not possible within the BIOS.

Also no other special features here wich would require a Setup Disk.

Possible, but I won't know for sure until I actually get my hands on it. Memory seems to be different, and I think that may also have to be entered in setup especially since I plan on adding more with ISA card(s).

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25419 of 53166, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imagea.jpg
Filename
imagea.jpg
File size
404.22 KiB
Views
File license

Broke down and got myself an AMD 133mhz 486 on a PCI 486 motrherboards. Like the old days 😀

imageb.jpg
Filename
imageb.jpg
File size
505.86 KiB
Views
File license

Need some memory for it too. 64meg is a bit more than I had originally, but that is half the fun of these computers, speccing them out nicely.

Reply 25420 of 53166, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some people gave me flack when I mercilessly binned some filthy cases recently, after removing the bits I could actually use (and were worth cleaning).

Well, as dirty as this:

full.png

That's mainly cigarette tar, mixed with generous helpings of dust, capped with various other pollutants which smell suspiciously like one of their cats had something to do with it. Also, various parts are bent and twisted, resulting in jammed parts and broken plastic tabs. So I'm afraid I've binned this again - but not before removing this lot:

full.png

That Terratec BASE-1 gives you an idea of the level of filth. But for a card like that I'm prepared to make the effort. Apart from that, clockwise:
- Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
- Toshiba DVD-RW with futuristic front plate
- Seagate U5 10GB HDD
- A box containing a somewhat bent Scythe Katana and a pile of mouting accessories which may or may not have anything to do with it.
- Atrend ATC-1020+ i430VX BabyAT board, with 80MB of RAM and a P166MMX jumpered at 200MHz.
- Yep, that's a Voodoo3 3000 PCI 😀

The seller was quite a character, proudly proclaiming he kept all his savings in a sock due to lack of trust in the banking system. He just kept piling on more and more stuff (he'd only listed the V3 for sale), and also was adamant they had all been part of the same system bought in 1997, including the 1999-vintage V3, the 2001-vintage Audigy and the Katana, which he swore blind was the original heatsink for the P200... 😜

Anyway, I have an afternoon of cleaning off filth ahead of me. If any of it works, it's more than worth it.

Reply 25421 of 53166, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

JUKO ST - 12 XT clone motherboard.

I dont know if it's an 8088 or NEC V20 CPU on the board as there is a sticker covering it.
It was listed as a broken 286 motherboard so the price was fair, £14.89 with cheap shipping.

The board isn't the exact same revison but near enough...
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/A … -XT-BXM-12.html

With luck this board will be less of a hassle to get going compared to my JUKO NEST board. I know a few of you have identical or near identical boards.

The sellers picture.

JUKO ST-12.jpg
Filename
JUKO ST-12.jpg
File size
392.3 KiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 25422 of 53166, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:

Some people gave me flack when I mercilessly binned some filthy cases recently, after removing the bits I could actually use (and were worth cleaning).

Been looking for some AT style cases that don't cost an arm and a leg, myself. (though I actually want desktop format, which is even rarer than towers, it seems). Been seeing tower cases on ebay for $75-$100.

Might get something for the case, too, if you clean it up (granted, maybe not enough to justify the effort to you).

Reply 25423 of 53166, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a Zalman Fatal1ty case.
This thing is a TANK !
A real BEAST of a CASE .
Weighs allot. Thick 5mm Aluminum.
Going to build a killer gaming computer out of it.

Attachments

• s-l16042340.jpg
    Filename
    s-l16042340.jpg
    File size
    342.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    262.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l500.jpg
    Filename
    s-l500.jpg
    File size
    22.96 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 25424 of 53166, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hamby wrote:
dionb wrote:

Been looking for some AT style cases that don't cost an arm and a leg, myself. (though I actually want desktop format, which is even rarer than towers, it seems). Been seeing tower cases on ebay for $75-$100.

Desktop AT is heading the way of the unicorn. I was lucky enough to find one 6 months back, not advertised as such, but worth the gamble - even if I had to drive to the other end of the country for it. AT towers... I find enough, but they tend to be in awful state. It's not even a matter of the good ones being expensive, people just treat them as trash.

Might get something for the case, too, if you clean it up (granted, maybe not enough to justify the effort to you).

I doubt it, most of the vintage fans locally are more into MSX, Amiga and Atari than PC, and most won't consider something in dubious condition - in fact that's my ecosystem: bottom feeder who doesn't give a damn what stuff looks like as long as it works (or is so cheap that the risk is worth it). In this case I don't even have the side panels, so it's just a rusty, smoky, not-quite-straight pile of metal. I don't mind investing time for little financial reward if I know I can make someone truly happy, but I don't see that happening here. There is however a bloke who scours the neighbourhood every evening with a little hand-cart for old metal. He'll be happy with this, so there it goes.

Been testing my stuff: the Voodoo works (yay!), but the ATC-1020+ is probably dead. It POSTed twice at the wrong speed, then after attempting a CMOS clear didn't do anything anymore. CPU stays cold and one of the MOSFETs in the VRM gets smoking hot, so sounds like something is shorting. The odd DVDRW is even clearer: doesn't get detected by BIOS. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Last edited by dionb on 2018-09-29, 20:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25425 of 53166, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a box that said NEC 8x CD drive, which has a Mitsumi Double speed CD drive in there (can't complain asthat'll be in my Packard Bell desktop), and the power player super joystick and power gun (no idea if it has it in the box).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 25426 of 53166, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not today but two days ago. Picked up an SC-55 from a thrift shop for $40 and got it all setup! Tested it and everything is working great, and it looks near brand new after cleaning it up and replacing the battery 😀 Very glad to own one of these, it sounds miles better than the crummy SC-55 Map on the 88 Pro and 8850.

RIWWseG.png
5JrBXLK.jpg

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 25427 of 53166, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
JUKO ST - 12 XT clone motherboard. […]
Show full quote

JUKO ST - 12 XT clone motherboard.

I dont know if it's an 8088 or NEC V20 CPU on the board as there is a sticker covering it.
It was listed as a broken 286 motherboard so the price was fair, £14.89 with cheap shipping.

The board isn't the exact same revison but near enough...
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/A … -XT-BXM-12.html

With luck this board will be less of a hassle to get going compared to my JUKO NEST board. I know a few of you have identical or near identical boards.

The sellers picture.

JUKO ST-12.jpg

I have about 3 or 4 of these boards. Despite different branding, they are all Juko ST clones.
I have the original manual for one of these (branded as "Unique") and you can download it from here: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm#Unique

Reply 25428 of 53166, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this very clean Biostar MB-1212C 286 motherboard (SIPP version), SCAT chipset.

http://www.lejabeach.com/Biostar/MB-12Series/ … -1212Csipp.html

image.jpg

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25429 of 53166, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Intel Overdrive CPU for my 486sx IBM PS/1 consultant 1993
169 pin ( hard to find )

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    209.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    166.56 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 25430 of 53166, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A pair is ISA GoldStar controllers for my 486 motherboards.
These are super easy to configure with silk screen configuration markings.

Attachments

• isa controllers.jpg
    Filename
    isa controllers.jpg
    File size
    282.31 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 25431 of 53166, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
Some people gave me flack when I mercilessly binned some filthy cases recently, after removing the bits I could actually use (an […]
Show full quote

Well, as dirty as this:

full.png

That's mainly cigarette tar, mixed with generous helpings of dust, capped with various other pollutants which smell suspiciously like one of their cats had something to do with it. Also, various parts are bent and twisted, resulting in jammed parts and broken plastic tabs. So I'm afraid I've binned this again - but not before removing this lot:

I had some of those cases back in the day. They are cheap $35 cases from China. Poorly made and Sharp edges with cheap power supplies. I remember cutting myself on the Sharp edges.
Once you go with Aluminum cases you never go back. They are just high quality.

Be careful working with these cheap cases. I don't think they are worth saving. They come with cheap power supplies too.
Your electronics are worth more than a cheap power supply. I have had many if these cheap power supplies short out and fry my motherboards.

Reply 25432 of 53166, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

[..]

I had some of those cases back in the day. They are cheap $35 cases from China. Poorly made and Sharp edges with cheap power supplies. I remember cutting myself on the Sharp edges.
Once you go with Aluminum cases you never go back. They are just high quality.

I prefer good quality steel with rolled edges myself, but fully agreed this was crap.

Be careful working with these cheap cases. I don't think they are worth saving. They come with cheap power supplies too.
Your electronics are worth more than a cheap power supply. I have had many if these cheap power supplies short out and fry my motherboards.

Took one look at the power supply and binned it. Not only was is the filthiest part of the case, it was as light as a feather, a Target-branded piece of rubbish.