VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25420 of 53209, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some people gave me flack when I mercilessly binned some filthy cases recently, after removing the bits I could actually use (and were worth cleaning).

Well, as dirty as this:

full.png

That's mainly cigarette tar, mixed with generous helpings of dust, capped with various other pollutants which smell suspiciously like one of their cats had something to do with it. Also, various parts are bent and twisted, resulting in jammed parts and broken plastic tabs. So I'm afraid I've binned this again - but not before removing this lot:

full.png

That Terratec BASE-1 gives you an idea of the level of filth. But for a card like that I'm prepared to make the effort. Apart from that, clockwise:
- Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
- Toshiba DVD-RW with futuristic front plate
- Seagate U5 10GB HDD
- A box containing a somewhat bent Scythe Katana and a pile of mouting accessories which may or may not have anything to do with it.
- Atrend ATC-1020+ i430VX BabyAT board, with 80MB of RAM and a P166MMX jumpered at 200MHz.
- Yep, that's a Voodoo3 3000 PCI 😀

The seller was quite a character, proudly proclaiming he kept all his savings in a sock due to lack of trust in the banking system. He just kept piling on more and more stuff (he'd only listed the V3 for sale), and also was adamant they had all been part of the same system bought in 1997, including the 1999-vintage V3, the 2001-vintage Audigy and the Katana, which he swore blind was the original heatsink for the P200... 😜

Anyway, I have an afternoon of cleaning off filth ahead of me. If any of it works, it's more than worth it.

Reply 25421 of 53209, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

JUKO ST - 12 XT clone motherboard.

I dont know if it's an 8088 or NEC V20 CPU on the board as there is a sticker covering it.
It was listed as a broken 286 motherboard so the price was fair, £14.89 with cheap shipping.

The board isn't the exact same revison but near enough...
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/A … -XT-BXM-12.html

With luck this board will be less of a hassle to get going compared to my JUKO NEST board. I know a few of you have identical or near identical boards.

The sellers picture.

JUKO ST-12.jpg

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 25422 of 53209, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:

Some people gave me flack when I mercilessly binned some filthy cases recently, after removing the bits I could actually use (and were worth cleaning).

Been looking for some AT style cases that don't cost an arm and a leg, myself. (though I actually want desktop format, which is even rarer than towers, it seems). Been seeing tower cases on ebay for $75-$100.

Might get something for the case, too, if you clean it up (granted, maybe not enough to justify the effort to you).

Reply 25423 of 53209, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a Zalman Fatal1ty case.
This thing is a TANK !
A real BEAST of a CASE .
Weighs allot. Thick 5mm Aluminum.
Going to build a killer gaming computer out of it.

Reply 25424 of 53209, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hamby wrote:
dionb wrote:

Been looking for some AT style cases that don't cost an arm and a leg, myself. (though I actually want desktop format, which is even rarer than towers, it seems). Been seeing tower cases on ebay for $75-$100.

Desktop AT is heading the way of the unicorn. I was lucky enough to find one 6 months back, not advertised as such, but worth the gamble - even if I had to drive to the other end of the country for it. AT towers... I find enough, but they tend to be in awful state. It's not even a matter of the good ones being expensive, people just treat them as trash.

Might get something for the case, too, if you clean it up (granted, maybe not enough to justify the effort to you).

I doubt it, most of the vintage fans locally are more into MSX, Amiga and Atari than PC, and most won't consider something in dubious condition - in fact that's my ecosystem: bottom feeder who doesn't give a damn what stuff looks like as long as it works (or is so cheap that the risk is worth it). In this case I don't even have the side panels, so it's just a rusty, smoky, not-quite-straight pile of metal. I don't mind investing time for little financial reward if I know I can make someone truly happy, but I don't see that happening here. There is however a bloke who scours the neighbourhood every evening with a little hand-cart for old metal. He'll be happy with this, so there it goes.

Been testing my stuff: the Voodoo works (yay!), but the ATC-1020+ is probably dead. It POSTed twice at the wrong speed, then after attempting a CMOS clear didn't do anything anymore. CPU stays cold and one of the MOSFETs in the VRM gets smoking hot, so sounds like something is shorting. The odd DVDRW is even clearer: doesn't get detected by BIOS. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Last edited by dionb on 2018-09-29, 20:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25425 of 53209, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a box that said NEC 8x CD drive, which has a Mitsumi Double speed CD drive in there (can't complain asthat'll be in my Packard Bell desktop), and the power player super joystick and power gun (no idea if it has it in the box).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 25426 of 53209, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not today but two days ago. Picked up an SC-55 from a thrift shop for $40 and got it all setup! Tested it and everything is working great, and it looks near brand new after cleaning it up and replacing the battery 😀 Very glad to own one of these, it sounds miles better than the crummy SC-55 Map on the 88 Pro and 8850.

RIWWseG.png
5JrBXLK.jpg

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 25427 of 53209, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
JUKO ST - 12 XT clone motherboard. […]
Show full quote

JUKO ST - 12 XT clone motherboard.

I dont know if it's an 8088 or NEC V20 CPU on the board as there is a sticker covering it.
It was listed as a broken 286 motherboard so the price was fair, £14.89 with cheap shipping.

The board isn't the exact same revison but near enough...
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/A … -XT-BXM-12.html

With luck this board will be less of a hassle to get going compared to my JUKO NEST board. I know a few of you have identical or near identical boards.

The sellers picture.

JUKO ST-12.jpg

I have about 3 or 4 of these boards. Despite different branding, they are all Juko ST clones.
I have the original manual for one of these (branded as "Unique") and you can download it from here: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm#Unique

Reply 25429 of 53209, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Intel Overdrive CPU for my 486sx IBM PS/1 consultant 1993
169 pin ( hard to find )

Reply 25430 of 53209, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A pair is ISA GoldStar controllers for my 486 motherboards.
These are super easy to configure with silk screen configuration markings.

Reply 25431 of 53209, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
Some people gave me flack when I mercilessly binned some filthy cases recently, after removing the bits I could actually use (an […]
Show full quote

Well, as dirty as this:

full.png

That's mainly cigarette tar, mixed with generous helpings of dust, capped with various other pollutants which smell suspiciously like one of their cats had something to do with it. Also, various parts are bent and twisted, resulting in jammed parts and broken plastic tabs. So I'm afraid I've binned this again - but not before removing this lot:

I had some of those cases back in the day. They are cheap $35 cases from China. Poorly made and Sharp edges with cheap power supplies. I remember cutting myself on the Sharp edges.
Once you go with Aluminum cases you never go back. They are just high quality.

Be careful working with these cheap cases. I don't think they are worth saving. They come with cheap power supplies too.
Your electronics are worth more than a cheap power supply. I have had many if these cheap power supplies short out and fry my motherboards.

Reply 25432 of 53209, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

[..]

I had some of those cases back in the day. They are cheap $35 cases from China. Poorly made and Sharp edges with cheap power supplies. I remember cutting myself on the Sharp edges.
Once you go with Aluminum cases you never go back. They are just high quality.

I prefer good quality steel with rolled edges myself, but fully agreed this was crap.

Be careful working with these cheap cases. I don't think they are worth saving. They come with cheap power supplies too.
Your electronics are worth more than a cheap power supply. I have had many if these cheap power supplies short out and fry my motherboards.

Took one look at the power supply and binned it. Not only was is the filthiest part of the case, it was as light as a feather, a Target-branded piece of rubbish.

Reply 25433 of 53209, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote:

where the hell do you get all this stuff for cheap?

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 25434 of 53209, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpeedySPCFan wrote:

Not today but two days ago. Picked up an SC-55 from a thrift shop for $40 and got it all setup! Tested it and everything is working great, and it looks near brand new after cleaning it up and replacing the battery 😀 Very glad to own one of these, it sounds miles better than the crummy SC-55 Map on the 88 Pro and 8850.

Wait, you're working on the soundtrack for 8-Bit Guy's X3 game?

Reply 25435 of 53209, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some Cache for my 486's

Reply 25436 of 53209, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jesolo wrote:

I have about 3 or 4 of these boards. Despite different branding, they are all Juko ST clones.
I have the original manual for one of these (branded as "Unique") and you can download it from here: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm#Unique

Thanks for the link to the manaul! 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 25437 of 53209, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

where the hell do you get all this stuff for cheap?

It’s not always inexpensive. I just shop around and look for stuff that I find was of value and really helped shape the world we live in today. I just don’t buy anything. I mainly buy computers that the masses used to charge the world of which there is allot because they mass produced these computers.
I try to buy higher quality old computers hopefully I can pass them down to younger enthusiast or resell them.
Mainly 1980’s and 1990’s computers. I can’t afford the real collectible old stuff. There was a computer recycler in my area that use to have all kinds of cool stuff. And there used to be allot of used computer shops but they are all but gone today. Real-estate prices are to high in my area for them to operate and make a profit. Also everyone is recycling computers today so many computers end up in the scraper. So I mainly shop eBay, Craig’s list and flee markets. I don’t find anything good at thrift stores in my area and they are too expensive today. The thrift stores in my area mainly do not accept computers. They recycle them. I Use an eBay app and save searches so that they will notify me when the item show up in the listings. Today my iPad is my main computer.

Reply 25438 of 53209, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

Desktop AT is heading the way of the unicorn. I was lucky enough to find one 6 months back, not advertised as such, but worth the gamble - even if I had to drive to the other end of the country for it. AT towers... I find enough, but they tend to be in awful state. It's not even a matter of the good ones being expensive, people just treat them as trash.

My favorite source for AT cases is the e-waste container of my municipality (not that it's easy to get something out of it, among others because they have staff that keep an eye on everything every now and then). So far I have found 1 and bought 4 AT cases (with other hardware) this year already.

By the way, are you interested in a NOS AOpen HQ08 with the iMac blue plastic trim? I have one and don't really have use for it.

Reply 25439 of 53209, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought my self a capacitor pack for my C64. I think it is about time, the 31 year old machine get new cap's.
It is beginning to change brightness level on it's own, and is doing it in a specific pattern.
So it will be interesting to see if this will solve the issue that my C64 has.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011