Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25440 of 53280, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpectriaForce wrote:

By the way, are you interested in a NOS AOpen HQ08 with the iMac blue plastic trim? I have one and don't really have use for it.

I believe I found the same source you likely got yours from. Recently bought 4 of them there, one of which I left in pristine state, the other three (two of which were damaged/incomplete - I specifically asked for those) I cannibalized for the bits I needed and scrapped the rest. I did keep the colour bezels, so I now have AOpen purply blue, iMac transparent blue and a sort of sickly mint green too.

The only bit of an HQ08 I actually could use right now is the motherboard tray, apart from that I'm trying to get rid of cases, not get more 😉

Reply 25441 of 53280, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

Bought my self a capacitor pack for my C64. I think it is about time, the 31 year old machine get new cap's.
It is beginning to change brightness level on it's own, and is doing it in a specific pattern.
So it will be interesting to see if this will solve the issue that my C64 has.

I replace all my C64's caps a while ago with a kit and I don't regret it, but I've since changed my thinking around re-capping things that are working. Every intervention carries the potential of doing more harm than good, particularly with my average soldering skills 😵 Going forward I think I'll resist the urge until I have some hard evidence that the caps are failing.

Let us know how you go, I hope it helps with the brightness issues.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 25442 of 53280, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up a couple of ISA cards. A memory card and a CGA card, both originally from a Compaq Portable II.

s-l400.jpg

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25443 of 53280, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, today has been the conclusion of a very stressful 4-day "weekend". It started Thursday afternoon, and only now am I back home, and rested enough to yell everyone the good news.

I finally got an ALR 6x6. Not just one either. With the extremely generous assistance from another vons member, was it even possible. (I'll let him chime in if he wants a bit of the spotlight.)

I'm still recovering, and will make a full post and accounting in a separate thread. But he and I FILLED a 16-foot truck with enough Pentium pro stuff to last a lifetime.

Items of note:
6x NEW ALR 6x6 machines
Boxes of parts for above
50+ dual p-pro motherboards
150+ 1mb p-pro chips
100+ nib network,video, etc cards
50+ single p-pro motherboards
A wide assortment of 486 and Pentium boards.
50+ nib scsi hard drives
10 MASSIVE server chassis with hardware
And much more!

I'll start writing a full thread and make a video tomorrow, but for now I gotta go to work.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 25444 of 53280, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So have you got a few PPros now? :p

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25445 of 53280, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh lord yes.

Too much for one person. I know it's sacrilege to even say it. But if you're in the market for a p-pro system, they are coming.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 25446 of 53280, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Oh lord yes.

Too much for one person. I know it's sacrilege to even say it. But if you're in the market for a p-pro system, they are coming.

damn, just build a 6 way Pentium Pro beast 😁

i'd look for Pentium pro stuff, but they are too expensive...

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 25447 of 53280, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Wow, sounds like a hell of a haul. Decommissioned server farm? Looking forward to pics.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 25448 of 53280, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I saw his sales thread somewhere... all pretty much NIB stuff. Very nice to see it went in a good hands 😁

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 25449 of 53280, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's sounds absolutely epic!

Once in a lifetime haul!

Looking forward to what you have.

Reply 25450 of 53280, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

Oh lord yes.

Epic news, since I have a good running single PPro system, but a good dual system was impossible to get without selling a kidney.. 🤣

Reply 25451 of 53280, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Bought my self a capacitor pack for my C64. I think it is about time, the 31 year old machine get new cap's.
It is beginning to change brightness level on it's own, and is doing it in a specific pattern.
So it will be interesting to see if this will solve the issue that my C64 has.

I replace all my C64's caps a while ago with a kit and I don't regret it, but I've since changed my thinking around re-capping things that are working. Every intervention carries the potential of doing more harm than good, particularly with my average soldering skills 😵 Going forward I think I'll resist the urge until I have some hard evidence that the caps are failing.

Let us know how you go, I hope it helps with the brightness issues.

Shure will do. 😀 I hope to get rid of the brightness issue. It looks like when it is doing somehhing, it will turn up and down for the brightness level. Shure I can not be certain, that this is the issue. I just want to give it a try. Also. It has some static interferance, that results in a band of horisontal noise, that moves from the top of the screen to the bottom. If the caps on the board is not the issie, then I suspect the RF modulator to be the culprit.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 25452 of 53280, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have in one of my storage boxes a dual PPro motherboard, a Tyan-something-or-other... which was made and sold without one of the CPU sockets. And not just the socket but also a bunch of components around it weren't installed, otherwise I'd be tempted to track down a socket and solder it on.

It sits there in the box and laughs at me "ha-ha you don't have a dual PPro system!"

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25453 of 53280, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

If the caps on the board is not the issie, then I suspect the RF modulator to be the culprit.

Oh so you're using RF? Switching to at least composite would be good if possible - what display are you using?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 25454 of 53280, by Robert B

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
Items of note: 6x NEW ALR 6x6 machines Boxes of parts for above 50+ dual p-pro motherboards 150+ 1mb p-pro chips 100+ nib netwo […]
Show full quote

Items of note:
6x NEW ALR 6x6 machines
Boxes of parts for above
50+ dual p-pro motherboards
150+ 1mb p-pro chips
100+ nib network,video, etc cards
50+ single p-pro motherboards
A wide assortment of 486 and Pentium boards.
50+ nib scsi hard drives
10 MASSIVE server chassis with hardware
And much more!

luckybob is LUCKY who would've thought that? I wonder 😁 ....UNREAL !!!

Reply 25456 of 53280, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
brostenen wrote:

If the caps on the board is not the issie, then I suspect the RF modulator to be the culprit.

Oh so you're using RF? Switching to at least composite would be good if possible - what display are you using?

I am using composit in a scart dongle on a CRT television. The thing with the video signal on a C64, is thqt it is going through the modulator internally, if you are only using Composit or S-Video. If the modulator fails, then there will be no signal at all.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 25457 of 53280, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

Oh lord yes.

Do you know the story of Mansa Musa's pilgrimage to Mecca? He was so unimaginably rich and brought such insane amounts of gold with him - which he spent and gave away in vast quantities - that he debased the entire Levantine currency system, leading to poverty and starvation of people with more gold than food. I don't think anyone will starve if the PPro prices plummet, but if you put the bits of that haul that you don't intend keeping yourself on the market, you'll probably have a similar effect 😜

Reply 25458 of 53280, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Oh lord yes.

Do you know the story of Mansa Musa's pilgrimage to Mecca? He was so unimaginably rich and brought such insane amounts of gold with him - which he spent and gave away in vast quantities - that he debased the entire Levantine currency system, leading to poverty and starvation of people with more gold than food. I don't think anyone will starve if the PPro prices plummet, but if you put the bits of that haul that you don't intend keeping yourself on the market, you'll probably have a similar effect 😜

Funny I was just thinking of that pilgrimage but couldn't remember the name of the guy. Though 'debased' isn't the right word (means to reduce the percent of precious metal in the composition of a coin). You probably meant 'devalue'.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25459 of 53280, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:

[...]

Funny I was just thinking of that pilgrimage but couldn't remember the name of the guy. Though 'debased' isn't the right word (means to reduce the percent of precious metal in the composition of a coin). You probably meant 'devalue'.

Er yes, you're right. Devalue, nobody needed to debase the stuff when the gold itself lost so much value. He actually noticed the harm he was doing and tried to correct it on the way back by buying up as much of the gold as possible.