VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25460 of 53044, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a couple NEW Socket A motherboards for gaming builds.
at Phil's computer lab recommendations.

These should work very well for my needs.

Going to add a Yamaha YMF-744 Audio
Nvidia Geforce FX 5500
And DVD drive.

For a very good DOS gaming computer build.

Attachments

• AMD-003.jpg
    Filename
    AMD-003.jpg
    File size
    226.32 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Socket-A motherboard.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 25461 of 53044, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My precious has arrived:

full.jpg

Normally I don't do 'new-in-box' stuff as I'm interested in the hardware, not the fluff. But here I make an exception - I'm hoarding as many Trackball Explorers as I can find, as I intend to keep using these things until either I die or there is no more electricity to run computers on, retro or otherwise. Second hand ones are a mixed bag (note the yellowing and traces of heavy use on the one not in the box), but new is the holy grail. I know I could flog this on an auction site for significantly more than I paid, but no way am I parting with this now or in any forseeable future. It goes deep in a dark cupboard until needed.

The seller had a similar attitude (indeed, that's where he dug it up from), but despite the fantastic ergonomics of the Explorer, he's got a bad case of RSI made worse by these things, and his doctor ordered him to stop using them. Sounds like a nightmare-scenario, but at least he was happy it went to someone similarly obsessed with these things 😀

Reply 25462 of 53044, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
My precious has arrived: […]
Show full quote

My precious has arrived:

full.jpg

Normally I don't do 'new-in-box' stuff as I'm interested in the hardware, not the fluff. But here I make an exception - I'm hoarding as many Trackball Explorers as I can find, as I intend to keep using these things until either I die or there is no more electricity to run computers on, retro or otherwise. Second hand ones are a mixed bag (note the yellowing and traces of heavy use on the one not in the box), but new is the holy grail. I know I could flog this on an auction site for significantly more than I paid, but no way am I parting with this now or in any forseeable future. It goes deep in a dark cupboard until needed.

The seller had a similar attitude (indeed, that's where he dug it up from), but despite the fantastic ergonomics of the Explorer, he's got a bad case of RSI made worse by these things, and his doctor ordered him to stop using them. Sounds like a nightmare-scenario, but at least he was happy it went to someone similarly obsessed with these things 😀

I feel the same way about this model.

IMG_1840.JPG
Filename
IMG_1840.JPG
File size
51.71 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 25463 of 53044, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:
dionb wrote:

My precious has arrived:

I feel the same way about this model.

The attachment IMG_1840.JPG is no longer available

Its earlier version had brilliant ads - I can't find the two-pager now, but here is one-page version in atrocious resolution that I've found on the spot:

Logi_small.jpg
Filename
Logi_small.jpg
File size
22.12 KiB
Views
File license

Coincidentally, a bit of a question: considering CRT monitor for DOS games (mostly). Alternatives are 17" SONY Trinitron CPD - E220E (excellent image, I used to have one long time ago, but it's HUGE) and 15" SONY Multiscan E100 Trinitron (essentially a bit of a smaller sibling, not sure about its footprint and quality) - does anyone here have an opinion on either of them?

Reply 25464 of 53044, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I looked into the E2xx series (along with some Iiyamas and AOCs) back in the day when choosing a 17" CRT and went for a Philips 107P instead, though I can not remember why.. I believe I was charmed by the obscenely high resolution and refresh rates the 107P offered. E2xx was a good series though.

In other news: I found a guy selling a bunch of 486 boards, any of them particularly worth buying?

MB1.jpg
Filename
MB1.jpg
File size
76.86 KiB
Views
File license
MB2.jpg
Filename
MB2.jpg
File size
83.65 KiB
Views
File license
MB3.jpg
Filename
MB3.jpg
File size
90.68 KiB
Views
File license
MB4.jpg
Filename
MB4.jpg
File size
85.41 KiB
Views
File license

I want to buy two of these but I can't decide which two..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25465 of 53044, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

I looked into the E2xx series (along with some Iiyamas and AOCs) back in the day when choosing a 17" CRT and went for a Philips 107P instead, though I can not remember why.. I believe I was charmed by the obscenely high resolution and refresh rates the 107P offered. E2xx was a good series though.

In other news: I found a guy selling a bunch of 486 boards, any of them particularly worth buying?

Just based on general layout I'd prefer #3. Less things obstructing other things. That being said I don't have any experience with either of those.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25466 of 53044, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been on the road for six days straight and I am finally at my new winter digs as of last night. Any new public announcements on the massive new-old-stock Pentium Pro haul will be over at Luckybob's dedicated thread. Hint: There is much, much more than just the PPro gear.

The great Pentium Pro haul of 2018

Reply 25468 of 53044, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
I looked into the E2xx series (along with some Iiyamas and AOCs) back in the day when choosing a 17" CRT and went for a Philips […]
Show full quote

MB1.jpg
MB2.jpg
MB3.jpg
MB4.jpg

Get the Lucky Star LS-486 for sure.
The baby AT with button battery.

Reply 25469 of 53044, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
My precious has arrived: […]
Show full quote

My precious has arrived:

full.jpg

Wow, Those mice are expensive !
I hate meeeces to peeeces. ( "Quote" Jinx the Cat ) 😊

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-10-03, 18:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25470 of 53044, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:

My precious has arrived:

Nice find, but, I have two questions:

1: Is there anything good about them besides the ergonomics (how's the sensor ,etc)?
2: WHY ARE THEY SO EXPENSIVE?!

Hamby wrote:

Wait, you're working on the soundtrack for 8-Bit Guy's X3 game?

(sorry for the late reply, forgot to check this thread)
Yup, doing the music conversion to the supported sound platforms and some music.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 25471 of 53044, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

found a classic 3 button logitech mouse.. Been looking for one of these in the wild for quite some time.

l3bm.jpg
Filename
l3bm.jpg
File size
263.82 KiB
Views
File license

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 25472 of 53044, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found an IBM PS/1 Essentials 486dx33 Desktop PC.
Model - 2155-W76 ( late 1992 )

I really like these IBM PS/1 486 computers. Really easy to fix and upgrade and repair and configure.
And lots of resources available for restoring these old computers.

I am going to add a CDROM and Sound Blaster 16 like the PS/1 MultiMedia edition of 1994.

Attachments

• IBM-PS1-006.jpg
    Filename
    IBM-PS1-006.jpg
    File size
    296.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IBM-PS1-004.jpg
    Filename
    IBM-PS1-004.jpg
    File size
    298.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IBM-PS1-003.jpg
    Filename
    IBM-PS1-003.jpg
    File size
    116.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IBM-PS1-002.jpg
    Filename
    IBM-PS1-002.jpg
    File size
    148.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IBM-PS1-001.jpg
    Filename
    IBM-PS1-001.jpg
    File size
    131.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-10-03, 18:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25474 of 53044, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DaveJustDave wrote:

found a classic 3 button logitech mouse.. Been looking for one of these in the wild for quite some time.

The attachment l3bm.jpg is no longer available

This one had cool ads as well!
(yes, I love vintage computer ads)

801b7d6ecc618a8be5bac6781bff3331.jpg
Filename
801b7d6ecc618a8be5bac6781bff3331.jpg
File size
164.79 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 25476 of 53044, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have a "Rage 128 Pro" on the way 🤣

rage_fury_maxx.jpg
Filename
rage_fury_maxx.jpg
File size
465.91 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25477 of 53044, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Oh lord yes.

Too much for one person. I know it's sacrilege to even say it. But if you're in the market for a p-pro system, they are coming.

Might be time to look into that PPro / Voodoo 1 machine I’ve always wanted to build!

Reply 25478 of 53044, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:

By the way, are you interested in a NOS AOpen HQ08 with the iMac blue plastic trim? I have one and don't really have use for it.

I believe I found the same source you likely got yours from. Recently bought 4 of them there, one of which I left in pristine state, the other three (two of which were damaged/incomplete - I specifically asked for those) I cannibalized for the bits I needed and scrapped the rest. I did keep the colour bezels, so I now have AOpen purply blue, iMac transparent blue and a sort of sickly mint green too.

The only bit of an HQ08 I actually could use right now is the motherboard tray, apart from that I'm trying to get rid of cases, not get more 😉

Yes I know that you've bought there. He actually did have one case with the transparent blue bezel (the boxes have different codes, he recognized the code for this specific bezel), which I took home last time. I have enough new white / beige cases for all my projects, so this one can go. If you want more motherboard trays, then I would buy some more cases, he has plenty left over 😵

Reply 25479 of 53044, by SEGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Have a "Rage 128 Pro" on the way 🤣

rage_fury_maxx.jpg

Got mine the same way where it was listed as a "Rage 128 Pro". I think the last 3 or 4 have been listed that way at decent/good prices.

NintendoAge | VCFed