Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25860 of 53021, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
twilliamc wrote:

I won the auction for a Vendex Headstart III.

1576_resize.JPG

I could not resist the urge to power it up when it got home. BIOS battery was toast but in its own shell. I was able to look up the HDD parameters and get it booted to the HDD! It mostly appears fine. More photos to come. I need to get an XT-IDE (if it will even work on this system) and make a backup of the HDD. This thing seems fairly rare. I cannot find manuals or software.

Don't blame you. That should be a fun restoration project. Please show pics when you are done cleaning it up.

Reply 25861 of 53021, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

Looks like an 80286 class machine, 3.5" FDD, 5.25" FDD (the HDD is underneath the FDD in case you're wondering), things like that. Also, check the CMOS battery for any leakage and replace the battery with a new one (some of them came with either 3.6V, 3V, or 6V).

It also sounds like it came with this OS: HOT (or HeadStart Operating Environment).

NY Times Archive from 1989: https://www.nytimes.com/1989/03/14/science/pe … i-software.html

Interesting. Looks like they made something similar to DeskMate.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 25862 of 53021, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
This weird Crystal wavetable add-on ISA board. […]
Show full quote

This weird Crystal wavetable add-on ISA board.

Looks like it only pulls power from the ISA bus and nothing else.

Also looks like it is supposed to hook up to a SB16 the same way a CT1920 (awe32 upgrade / goldfinch) card does.

Seller's photos cropped and rotated.

front.jpg
back.jpg

Well, the seller flaked out and never sent this and would also not respond so I had to open an eBay case to get my money back. 😠

As least we have a record of what it looks like...

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25864 of 53021, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
twilliamc wrote:

I won the auction for a Vendex Headstart III.

I could not resist the urge to power it up when it got home. BIOS battery was toast but in its own shell. I was able to look up the HDD parameters and get it booted to the HDD! It mostly appears fine. More photos to come. I need to get an XT-IDE (if it will even work on this system) and make a backup of the HDD. This thing seems fairly rare. I cannot find manuals or software.

Most of the information out there would probably be in Dutch too, as Vendex was a brand of Philips-designed computers sold by the now-defunct Dutch department store chain Vroom&Dreesman.

- but it seems to have been sold in the US too:
https://youtu.be/aRv8KVQ1TNo
https://www.nytimes.com/1989/03/14/science/pe … i-software.html

Here are the five 'master disks' originally shipped with it:
http://vetusware.com/download/Headstart%20III … ities/?id=14975

Reply 25865 of 53021, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Logitech Track-man Marble for Windows 3.1 / 95 and DOS.

Attachments

Reply 25866 of 53021, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up an HP computerfyer and DOS for Dummies book. The HP is a K6 500, 64 megs ram, 15 Gig HD, and a weird sound card. I haven't turned it on yet, but it's all in tact. I'll need to clean i up when I get some time.

I really like the size of this case. My ideal retro case would be this size, but look like something designed for an XT/286/386.

Attachments

• dos_book.jpg
    Filename
    dos_book.jpg
    File size
    172.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • hp_sc.jpg
    Filename
    hp_sc.jpg
    File size
    270.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • hp.jpg
    Filename
    hp.jpg
    File size
    163.77 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 25867 of 53021, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
This weird Crystal wavetable add-on ISA board. […]
Show full quote

This weird Crystal wavetable add-on ISA board.

Looks like it only pulls power from the ISA bus and nothing else.

Also looks like it is supposed to hook up to a SB16 the same way a CT1920 (awe32 upgrade / goldfinch) card does.

Seller's photos cropped and rotated.

front.jpg
back.jpg

Well, the seller flaked out and never sent this and would also not respond so I had to open an eBay case to get my money back. 😠

As least we have a record of what it looks like...

That sucks 🙁 sometimes people aren't reliable. Definitely an interesting card to look out for in future listings and junk lots.

Reply 25868 of 53021, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found a seller with a damaged 486 laptop, selling it for parts. I asked to buy the CPU so he took it out of the socket for me. The result:

486 DX33 Bent Pins.JPG
Filename
486 DX33 Bent Pins.JPG
File size
112.86 KiB
Views
File license

I'll buy it nonetheless, the DX33 is lacking in my collection. What is the safest way to fix this? Align a ruler and push the pins up until they are semi- straight, then shove into a Socket 3?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25869 of 53021, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Install it in a socket. Luckily the pins are bent evenly in rows, so you can just put it back in the same way it came out & you'll straighten everything out. Start with the bent side and gradually lever it down until all the pins line up.

I did that with my AM2 chip recently and that has a hell of a lot more pins than any 486. Worked fine.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 25870 of 53021, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Found a seller with a damaged 486 laptop, selling it for parts. I asked to buy the CPU so he took it out of the socket for me. The result:

I'll buy it nonetheless, the DX33 is lacking in my collection. What is the safest way to fix this? Align a ruler and push the pins up until they are semi- straight, then shove into a Socket 3?

I usually bend the pins that have been bend really severely back with a knife, just enough to make it for into the socket. You want to bend the entire row at the same time instead of bending pins individually to make sure you don't break the pins. After you bent the pins back s bit you can fit it into the socket and the socket will finalize the bending. This worked for me on my AMD FX-8350 just fine. 😀

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 25871 of 53021, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

I love that mouse; three buttons and a trackball, what else could you possibly ask for. I will be looking out for something like this as well! 😊

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 25872 of 53021, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Strahssis wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

I love that mouse; three buttons and a trackball, what else could you possibly ask for. I will be looking out for something like this as well! 😊

Scroll functionality.

Reply 25873 of 53021, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MCGA wrote:

I picked up an HP computerfyer and DOS for Dummies book. The HP is a K6 500, 64 megs ram, 15 Gig HD, and a weird sound card. I haven't turned it on yet, but it's all in tact. I'll need to clean i up when I get some time.

I really like the size of this case. My ideal retro case would be this size, but look like something designed for an XT/286/386.

Hey, I had one of those. See here.
HP Pavilion - Gamer / TV

Reply 25874 of 53021, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

What is the safest way to fix this?

Use a small pincet. Something like this:
?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pyramidinnovation.com%2Fuser%2Fproducts%2Flarge%2FSR04011-Forcepts-1-600.jpg&f=1

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 25875 of 53021, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the bent pins I use a rigid metal ruler.

I got these for 16€ or so :
30102018swag.jpg

Radeon X700 256MB, Radeon 9600 256MB, Audigy 2, Aureal Vortex based card with wavetable connector (only reason I got the lot), bunch of 512MB and 256MB RAM sticks and the P4 mobo.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 25876 of 53021, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

What is the safest way to fix this?

Use a small pincet. Something like this:

Exactly, or even a smaller one.
Here in Italy, many Chinese 'grand bazars' offer a wide range of cheap instuments like this ultra fine small tweezer, just 1.50 eur
You can also find many useful pliers/screwdrivers at a ludicrous price. Most of ther times crappy, BUT sometimes of decent/good quality.

This one in the picture is so fine you can actually straighten bent pins on lga Sockets without effort.

Attachments

• IMG_20181030_164853.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20181030_164853.jpg
    File size
    872.01 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 25877 of 53021, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

486 DX33 Bent Pins.JPG

I use a small thin flat piece of sheet metal and bend all the pins in one row back at once.
It's also good for aligning all the pins back together.
You can find it at your hardware store, the size of a poker card.

Reply 25878 of 53021, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:
MCGA wrote:

Hey, I had one of those. See here.
HP Pavilion - Gamer / TV

Now I'm bummed, yours has a TV option. 😀

Reply 25879 of 53021, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up a few ISA network cards, NOS, appear unused.
Why did I pick up several? After all they're your run-of-the-mill NE2k-compatible ISA cards right?

Look closer.

ae3.jpg

"But grandma, why do you have so many jumpers"

"Why, Little Red Riding Hood, I have so many EPROM addresses! I need jumpers for them all!"

http://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/n/A-B/40762.htm

I plan on using these mostly for the juicy EPROM socket with such a wide array of possible addresses. For BIOS extension goodness, such as XT-IDE and such.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O