VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 2641 of 53135, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

d2ec.jpg

What type of dog is that Artex? What sort of ears does he have up or down? Our dog looks just like yours but golden in color. We are not sure what she is, we got her from an animal shelter and they were not sure either.

Steam | World of Warcraft

Reply 2642 of 53135, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

I also own a white dog. But mine is a husky/german shepard. You will NEVER wear anything black again. 😜

You said it man! "Tyler" is a German Shepard/Lab mix. I actually feel bad for my vacuum.

He's got floppy ears when he's chilled out...

yvym.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2643 of 53135, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found a Samsung Syncmaster 150MP in the trash a few days ago. I had to buy a power supply for it but that was only $8 and it works great. This was an expensive monitor when it was new because it also has a TV tuner built in and LCD's were still a long way from replacing CRT's when it was released so the technology was still more expensive to produce than an equivalent CRT.

Reply 2645 of 53135, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I figure this probably counts as retro hardware... got a Sony Mavica FD100 today. It's fully working, and it came with all the manuals/accessories, a replacement battery (which seems to be taking a charge so far), and a few floppy disks containing pictures of random skeevy-looking people. 🤣

It's nothing fancy by current standards, but it should do fine for anything I'd need a digicam for. Definitely better than the long-since-dead POS Vivitar I had before.

Reply 2646 of 53135, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My retro collector neighbour returned from Perth with a TON of stuff. 150+ HDDs, towers, optical drives, CPUs, mainboards...

I picked two for free 😀

The first one I was hoping for a decent S370 board but it turns out to be a very basic Celeron only board 🙁

The other one is a 486 board however. A Chaintech 486SPM.

Now being a 486 noob it will take me a while to get my head around all the settings. I removed the battery, there appeared to be minor leaking going on, cleaned it with vinegar and it seems ok.

It also seems to have soldering points for a PS2 mouse (labelled PS2MUS) but not sure if this is properly implemented.

The amount of jumpers is a bit scary to be honest 😀

CPU it comes with is an IBM 486 DX4?

Images here: http://imgur.com/a/krDJX

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2647 of 53135, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

It also seems to have soldering points for a PS2 mouse (labelled PS2MUS) but not sure if this is properly implemented.

The datasheet for the VIA VT82C42 does mention PS/2, mouse clock and mouse data. So theoretically it should support. There are a couple of things to check though. One is that you should try and see if there are printed traces on the motherboard to the PS/2 mouse pins. For instance, in some 486 boards usually there's a trace connecting the 5V pin from the keyboard connector to one of the PS/2 mouse pins. Check that.

Another question is that yout VIA controller ends with an N. I couldn't find datasheet for the version ending with N. Assuming that the N version does not have PS/2 support, and you have traces leading to the pins on the PS/2 area, you could try and order a VIA VT82C42 controller and replace the one you have for that. Then just solder some pins on the board so that you can actually connect a PS/2 backplate to it. I'm assuming the pinout between the VIA VT82C42 and the VIA VT82C42N is the same. If it is and providing you have all the connecting traces on the board, then this is pretty doable. 😀

EDIT: By looking at your pictures i can see traces. One of them is going right to the keyboard connector so it's possible it is going there to pick up 5V. What you can do first is to solder some pins in the board, get a 4 pin connector and backplate and try it out. If the mouse driver does not see a mouse there's a possibility that your exact version of the VIA controller does not support PS/2 mouse.

Reply 2648 of 53135, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also believe that PS2 mouse supports needs to be enabled in BIOS as well...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2649 of 53135, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm unable to get the board to POST.

The beep codes work and it does 1 very long, and then 2 shorter beeps. Google tells me it can't detect the video card. I tried several ISA cards and the only PCI video card I have, bot no POST.

Checked all the jumpers according to the sheet I have...

If I pull out the RAM I get a continuous beeping.

Any ideas?

Do I need to have a battery hooked up to POST?

My YouTube channel

Reply 2650 of 53135, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dont need a battery, do you have the right type of ram? FPM? Most 486 boards wont take just any old 72pin ram can be quite finicky and thats why I dont throw out old fpm 4meg simms just for testing.

Reply 2651 of 53135, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Do I need to have a battery hooked up to POST?

No. But i would put a battery and clear CMOS.

Are you installing EDO RAM, it could be the board only takes FPM.

Try a 5V CPU. It could be that the Voltage regulator is kaput.

And keep trying with ISA video cards. The difficulty with AWARD BIOSes is that beep codes are not equal for all boards.

Reply 2652 of 53135, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks will do! My neighbour has a ton of old memory, I only got two sticks which worked fine in an Acer 486, but RAM is always the obvious candidate for POST errors...

The other thing that worries me is that using a POST card (the ones with 2 digits), no code shows up. Anyway I might post this under a different thread if I make progress!

My YouTube channel

Reply 2653 of 53135, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rage Mobility, probably C (detected by win, cant check without destroying card) 8MB.

ragem-cf.jpg

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 2654 of 53135, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

[quote="vlask"]Rage Mobility, probably C (detected by win, cant check without destroying card) 8MB.

A good find! I've got a laptop with this very card. I didn't know it ever made it onto a desktop expansion board.

Reply 2655 of 53135, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

😲 Reckon I just scored myself a bargain 😲 !

ROLAND SC-7 GENERAL MIDI SOUND MODULE-BOXED/COMPLETE WITH CABLES+ROLAND POWER SUPPLY+MANUAL:-this is the PC (DOS/WINDOWS 95?) version with a PC cables, however with the right APPLE SERIAL cable, as found on VINTAGE APPLE COMPUTERS, and the right software will most probably run on 68K/maybe PPC APPLE MACHINES.

ROLAND PC-150 MIDI KEYBOARD CONTROLLER-INCLUDES ORIGINAL BOX+FOAM+MANUAL-POWERS ON FINE. BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED.

DIGIGRAM PCX20 BROADCAST QUALITY PRO AUDIO SOUND PLAYBACK ISA CARD-suits PC machines with ISA slots. Used often in radio stations-RARE!

CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER 16 SCSI-2 WITH ADVANCED SIGNAL PROCESSOR (MODEL CT1770) ISA CARD-has extra chip on board.

CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER 16 SCSI (Model CT1770) ISA CARD.

CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER 16 (Model CT1740) ISA CARD.

MIDIMAN WINMAN 4X4/S SMPTE ISA CARD.

SCSI CD-R 4X WRITE CD BURNER (INTERNAL/MODEL CW-7502-B).

MIDI CONNECTION CABLES-STANDARD PC JOYSTICK PORT CONNECTION.

BAND-IN-A-BOX 7.0 PRO (BOXED/INCLUDES 3.5 INCH DISKS).

THE JAMMER PRO VERSION 1.0 (BOXED/INCLUDES 3.5 INCH DISK).

PASSPORT RHAPSODY (BOXED/CDROM+MANUALS).

MUSIC PRINTER PLUS 4.0 (BOXED/3.5 INCH DISK+MANUALS).

MUSIC WORKS 2 (BOXED/3.5 INCH DISK+CDROM+MANUALS).

THE MUSIC STUDIO 3.0 (BOXED/INCLUDES 5.25+3.5 INCH DISKS+MANUAL).

MIDISOFT STUDIO (BOXED/3.5 INCH DISKS+MANUALS).

ROCK GUITARIST (BOXED/CDROM FOR APPLE MACINTOSH/PC).

THE FAST GUIDE TO CUBASE (BOOK).

CUBASE VST TIPS AND TRICKS (BOOK).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROLAND-SC-7-MIDI-S … cvip=true&rt=nc

All for the grand total of $101, Luckily Ive got a brother in Canberra to pick it up for me(I assume he will).

Australian Ebay is a strange beast indeed.....

Anyone know anything about that DIGIGRAM PCX20 card? Im hoping Im hoping I can find software to play some kind of compressed music files Ie MP3/MP2/etc for the old 386

Reply 2657 of 53135, by thegardentool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got these two packages this week that will really get me going into building a system:

First package:
ASUS P3B-F Rev. 1.04 2 ISA Slots
Pentium II 450MHz
64MB SDRAM PC-100

Second Package:
Canopus Spectra 2500
Canopus Pure3D II SLI
Canopus Pure3D
Sound Blaster AWE32 ISA
WD 40GB Hard Drive

I also have a lead on a relatively cheap desktop from the same era that should be usable for the PSU, drives, and other random needs in putting it together that I hope to pickup this weekend.

Main: 7800X3D | X670e | 3090 | 4k144hz
Retro: Kind of together: P3 | ASUS P3B-F | Canopus Spectra 2500 | Canopus Pure3D II SLI | (sometimes a Voodoo 5 AGP) | SoundBlaster AWE32|

Reply 2658 of 53135, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice board!

Always found it hard to understand the model numbers with these old boards. Especially know which one is older / newer than the other one 😀

My YouTube channel