Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 27060 of 53038, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NostalgicAslinger wrote:

V3 1000 AGP with fast 183MHz specified, 5.5ns SGRAM from Siemens, not bad. I would install a heatsink on the avenger core, because this chip get very, very hot.

Was planning to. No retention holes for a heatsink, so thermal tape or glue will be needed and right now I have none.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 27061 of 53038, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote:

It has an Intel Core Solo U1400 w/ 1GB RAM and 40GB HDD. Intel GMA 950 graphics. It isn't really meant to be a gaming handheld, but I'm sure it can do a few light games or older games. Once I find a recovery disk for it (if there's no recovery partition) I will wipe it and start fresh.

I have a VGN-UX series japanese recovery DVD, if that can be of help.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 27062 of 53038, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:

Had that exact model drive installed in a custom external SCSI enclosure back in the early 00s. Thing was slow, but very reliable. Never died on me. I think I sold it finally.

I'm looking to use it in my EISA 486 build in an 5150 clone case; I thought I had a 425MB SCSI drive, but turned out it was 20MB only. This isn't only a good substitute in terms of capacity, it perfectly matches the 5150 aesthetic. Not sure if I'll actually use it on a regular basis or leave it in for show only and let a CF card do the real work. Depends on how much the noise starts to irritate me I think 😉

Reply 27064 of 53038, by SEGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Artex wrote:

Finally!
NVIDIA NV1 - Diamond Edge 3D 2120XL Ver. 1.00 (STG2000X) 1MB PCI (Boxed) (1995)

Ooooo, nice! Still looking for one. I recently bought the Yuan version but would love to get one of the Diamond cards boxed.

I'm wondering, did anyone here win this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283298298837

And if so would it be possible to get scans of it?

NintendoAge | VCFed

Reply 27065 of 53038, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Had that exact model drive installed in a custom external SCSI enclosure back in the early 00s. Thing was slow, but very reliable. Never died on me. I think I sold it finally.

I'm looking to use it in my EISA 486 build in an 5150 clone case; I thought I had a 425MB SCSI drive, but turned out it was 20MB only. This isn't only a good substitute in terms of capacity, it perfectly matches the 5150 aesthetic. Not sure if I'll actually use it on a regular basis or leave it in for show only and let a CF card do the real work. Depends on how much the noise starts to irritate me I think 😉

Interesting. I picked up that black tower which is also an early 1990s 486 EISA build. Please make sure to take lots of photos of that. What mobo do you have?

Reply 27066 of 53038, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A couple of Dinasur Power supplies so now I can put togeather my Dinasur 486 and AMD K6-3 computers.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-02-04, 19:48. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 27067 of 53038, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:

Interesting. I picked up that black tower which is also an early 1990s 486 EISA build. Please make sure to take lots of photos of that. What mobo do you have?

Mobo is an ECS SL-486E, 8x EISA, one of which has VLB as well (which has major issues - anything I stick in there short-circuits and/or starts smoking, so this board is EISA only as far as I'm concerned). Today I operated on its Dallas DS1387 RTC Ramified, and despite making a complete dog's breakfast of the module, the operation seems a success, with both regular BIOS CMOS and EISA settings being saved. If they're still saved tomorrow, I start to build - and yes, I'll open a topic for it.

Apart from that motherboard, I'll include a Buslogic BT-747S EISA SCSI controller to run the drive on, a Compaq CPQ3001 EISA VGA (whose .cfg isn't working, more fun ahead), and I'm looking for a 10/100Mb EISA Ethernet adapter too. The motherboard is a 5V only desing, but I have an interposer that should let me use a DX-4 100 or better. Just need to find a heatsink for its MOSFET.

Reply 27068 of 53038, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Dionb, @liqmat

I've still got a very similar (working) drive, which came as part of my first 386 EISA desktop system in 1990, and they even supplied the manual 😀 , and yes it is comfortingly noisy 🤣

Wren6.jpg
Filename
Wren6.jpg
File size
781.94 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Wren6man1.jpg
Filename
Wren6man1.jpg
File size
1.36 MiB
Views
File license
Wren6man2.jpg
Filename
Wren6man2.jpg
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license
DesktopEISA.jpg
Filename
DesktopEISA.jpg
File size
29.94 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 27069 of 53038, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SEGamer wrote:
I got a response today from them saying they'll send the correct board and I can keep the one that originally came, so we'll see […]
Show full quote
SW-SSG wrote:

^Perhaps I spoke too soon... :\

Odd that an MB that has, as its main feature (AFAIK), PCI together with VLB would occasionally skip the VLB slots. That and a missing BIOS ROM makes me wonder if the previous owner (like, previous to the Ebay seller) re-purposed some of their unused stock for fixing broken boards or something.

Either way, I'd like to think the seller actually will honour refunds, considering that what was received doesn't match the photos.

I got a response today from them saying they'll send the correct board and I can keep the one that originally came, so we'll see if the next one is right 🤣

Cyrix200+ wrote:
SEGamer wrote:

Motherboard from the Ukraine finally arrived but one problem...

IMG_20190124_173921.jpg

No VLB slots?! The one in the pictures clearly had them, so this'll be interesting to sort out.

Mine also has no VLB slots. And no BIOS chip.

I'm not sure how they missed this. Granted they probably never seen a motherboard let alone ones as old as these before and for some reason never noticed the differences.

I received an email today stating that I will also receive a new one (and to keep the old one since returning them is too expensive). That's pretty darn good customer service for an item listed as

We are selling the motherboard as parts / repair units rather than as a properly functioning unit.

We are not accepting returns on this item so please purchase accordingly.

Faith in eBay upped a bit.

1982 to 2001

Reply 27070 of 53038, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

@Dionb, @liqmat

I've still got a very similar (working) drive, which came as part of my first 386 EISA desktop system in 1990, and they even supplied the manual 😀 , and yes it is comfortingly noisy 🤣

Wren6.jpg

This must be a trend, because I bought a BIG hard-drive too this weekend.
But the only reason I bought it was for my U.S.A. Parts build 486 computer.
This hard-drive is made in U.S.A.

I almost have all the parts I need. I will be showing it soon.

Reply 27071 of 53038, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote:
wiretap wrote:

It has an Intel Core Solo U1400 w/ 1GB RAM and 40GB HDD. Intel GMA 950 graphics. It isn't really meant to be a gaming handheld, but I'm sure it can do a few light games or older games. Once I find a recovery disk for it (if there's no recovery partition) I will wipe it and start fresh.

I have a VGN-UX series japanese recovery DVD, if that can be of help.

Sure! That would be awesome if you could upload it somewhere. I'm guessing I could make it through the install and change the locale after.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 27072 of 53038, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After looking for a Socket 7 board that can cache 64MB+ for two years and giving up, I had ended up building my K6-2 400 using a 430TX motherboard and 66MHz FSB.

But fate has it that I can now easily buy not one but two VIA MVP4 boards. Are MVP4 boards worth it? Worthy replacement for a 430TX, if only for the fact I can actually use 100MHz FSB now?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 27073 of 53038, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a trident ISA card just for 4 euros. The seller thought it was faulty because of those vertical stripes that trident cards get with modern LCD displays and that is why he was selling it just for 4 euros.
I think I made a good deal because I don't have many isa video cards.

trident8900d.jpg
Filename
trident8900d.jpg
File size
1.86 MiB
Views
File license

Anyond knows what MG is because it says "MG product" on the card?

Reply 27074 of 53038, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

After looking for a Socket 7 board that can cache 64MB+ for two years and giving up, I had ended up building my K6-2 400 using a 430TX motherboard and 66MHz FSB.

But fate has it that I can now easily buy not one but two VIA MVP4 boards. Are MVP4 boards worth it? Worthy replacement for a 430TX, if only for the fact I can actually use 100MHz FSB now?

Upshot: 100MHz FSB
Downside: integrated (crappy) VGA eating memory bandwidth, and even if you avoid that using discrete PCI VGA, generally very limited OEM designs.

Baoran wrote:
I bought a trident ISA card just for 4 euros. The seller thought it was faulty because of those vertical stripes that trident ca […]
Show full quote

I bought a trident ISA card just for 4 euros. The seller thought it was faulty because of those vertical stripes that trident cards get with modern LCD displays and that is why he was selling it just for 4 euros.
I think I made a good deal because I don't have many isa video cards.

trident8900d.jpg

Anyond knows what MG is because it says "MG product" on the card?

MG is a brand, pretty common Taiwanese stuff in the early 1990s.

Reply 27075 of 53038, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

MG is a brand, pretty common Taiwanese stuff in the early 1990s.

Thanks, I thought MG would be abbreviation of some company name that I didn't know about.

Reply 27076 of 53038, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:

Downside: integrated (crappy) VGA eating memory bandwidth, and even if you avoid that using discrete PCI VGA, generally very limited OEM designs.

Well, it's not that bad a board by the looks of it? TMC MI5VP4 1.10.. Has 1MB cache according to its manual.. Better or worse than a Tyan Turbo S1573S? Worth it for 100MHz FSB and 64MB extra on a Voodoo 2 SLI system?

Got it for 20 bucks including a K6-2/350 CPU (already owned a 400), not a great deal but not terribad either I suppose.

Attachments

• TMC MI5VP4-1.10.jpg
    Filename
    TMC MI5VP4-1.10.jpg
    File size
    376.81 KiB
    Views
    File license

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 27078 of 53038, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
dionb wrote:

Well, it's not that bad a board by the looks of it? TMC MI5VP4 1.10.. Has 1MB cache according to its manual.. Better or worse than a Tyan Turbo S1573S? Worth it for 100MHz FSB and 64MB extra on a Voodoo 2 SLI system?

Good question, these are polar opposites - a rock-solid workstation-grade (but probably non-overclockable) i430TX vs a rather obscure brand MVP4, albeit with a nice, clean layout and lots of expansion options. If you have both, the best way is just to try. Even if you're using V2 SLI, I'd recommend a discrete PCI VGA card in the MPV4 too, to save CPU bandwidth.

Got it for 20 bucks including a K6-2/350 CPU (already owned a 400), not a great deal but not terribad either I suppose.

Better than a kick in the teeth, as they say 😀

Reply 27079 of 53038, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rescued this Terratec sound card with a Crystal CS4630. Aparently it can do A3D really well and rivals the Vortex chips. Will have to put it in a PC and test it out when I have the chance.

P_20190204_204655.jpg
Filename
P_20190204_204655.jpg
File size
647.18 KiB
Views
File license

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7