Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 28040 of 53040, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Not exactly hardware but a happy coincidence; after years of searching I found a SS7 board not long ago.. and only months later I ran across a manual for it in a thrift bookstore for just 50 cents.

Happy times.

Now that is what I call destiny!

destiny.gif
Filename
destiny.gif
File size
497.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 28041 of 53040, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IMG_20190331_123518.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190331_123518.jpg
File size
597.32 KiB
Views
File license

Sunday local flea market, bought these sound cards for 3 Eur each. Seller has dozens of audio cards and many early 2000-2004 Agp cards.

Unfortunately this seller treats his own merchandise badly, I fear that at least half of those won't work. Months ago i've tried 3 video cards,2 of them weren't working.Good thing is that accepts refunds/replacements.

I've taken the ones with less scratches and bent pins,hoping for the best. I'll probably test'em this week.

Reply 28042 of 53040, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Not exactly hardware but a happy coincidence; after years of searching I found a SS7 board not long ago.. and only months later I ran across a manual for it in a thrift bookstore for just 50 cents.

Happy times.

Can you scan it?

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 28043 of 53040, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
respect2759 wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Happy times.

Can you scan it?

Already out there:

https://www.infania.net/misc/moboarchive/Tmc% … al/mi5vp411.pdf

Reply 28044 of 53040, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah a decent OCR scan of the manual is already out there, though that is 1.1 and mine is 1.0B but I doubt it makes a difference.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 28045 of 53040, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:
Thrustmaster Fragmaster (new) […]
Show full quote

Thrustmaster Fragmaster (new)

eSUK3Oyl.jpg

I still have mine (unboxed) which I bought refurbished 15+ years ago because it looked like a record-setting crap game controller.

It WAS a record-setting crap game controller. 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 28047 of 53040, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

YrfIiYQm.jpg?1
The Gravis Ultrasound CD3 I bought arrived today. Since this card basically should act identically to the GUS Classic that's already in my 486, I quickly set the jumpers identically and swapped it in there quickly to test and indeed, it works beautifully. However, I bought the Ultrasound CD3 to use in my Socket 7 build that'll replace the Dell PC linked in my signature. Put it in there, and while it works great in DOS, under Windows 95 it's causing conflicts with my 3Com 3C509 card that I've not yet been able to resolve. Haven't given up yet, but definitely an annoyance I was not expecting. Grrr... 😒

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 28048 of 53040, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I found Might and Magic VI in paper case on two CDs. I am unlucky, the third CD with demo games and Czech language packs are missing. I will send some photos, now gonna post only an istall prinscreen

Attachments

• Névtelen.png
    Filename
    Névtelen.png
    File size
    300.14 KiB
    Views
    File license

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 28049 of 53040, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got delivery today 😀
First out IBM PS2 Model 55SX

IMG_2581s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2581s.jpg
File size
915.02 KiB
Views
File license

I actually didn't think the IBM would show up. Paid 2 weeks ago and the seller never contacted me or so. I emailed after one week asking when he would ship. He answered that he was sick and was gonna ship it asap when he got better. That's when I checked his feedback. Tons of negative on not delivered, broken and late. I was gonna give it one more week before acting, then yesterday my phone pinged and it said that DHL had recieved the package and today it got here. Seems undamaged but reeks of tobacco so I put it in the basement for now. 😵

And second, a socket 4 motherboard, sold as "untested" aka broken.

IMG_2582s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2582s.jpg
File size
1.53 MiB
Views
File license

And sure enough, someone has tried to pry the socket of with a screwdriver 😳

IMG_2583s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2583s.jpg
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_2584s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2584s.jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license

But a quick "axehack" with thin strands of copper and a steady (well) hand later

IMG_2586s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2586s.jpg
File size
1.12 MiB
Views
File license

Yaay, so now I have another socket 4 motherboard.

Reply 28050 of 53040, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh man, that PS/2 55SX..... I had one of those as a child and as a youngun let it go when we moved. I would love to get another one, along with another NEC MultiSync 3Ds to match the one I had. I still have the Model M.

Reply 28051 of 53040, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Coworker of father (Texas Instruments) worked on the TIGA graphics adapters in the late 80s. He had this original TIGA promotional kit laying around, and gave it to me.
It's basically what they would give to salespeople when they went to setup a booth at a trade show to market their products.

eZPxG9Nh.jpg

Original Promo disks with demo software and paint program
LV6Zjoyh.jpg

Plastic table signs with the TIGA logo
qMXVmmhh.jpg

Various TIGA stickers
RQXKzNph.jpg
JLow7XGh.jpg

Promo Photos
vXhbZZZh.jpg
N09nSxOh.jpg

Original promo feature overview book
hYGQWMdh.jpg
hyqd4xLh.jpg

He also has a couple of TIGA cards that he's going to dig up. I believe he kept all the original designs for the TI TMS34020 chip that powered the whole thing, too.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 28052 of 53040, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That deserves to goto a museum. OR at the very least to someone who can image the disks, and digitize the manual.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 28053 of 53040, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I plan to image the disks and to make high-res scans of the manual. What would be the best place to upload the stuff once I get it imaged?

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 28054 of 53040, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dkarguth wrote:

I plan to image the disks and to make high-res scans of the manual. What would be the best place to upload the stuff once I get it imaged?

Right here on Vogons and I would also message modem7 over at Vcfed so he can upload them to minuszerodegrees.net.

Reply 28055 of 53040, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, that's a nice kit! What an obscure item. Can't be too many of those around any more...

Anyone else think the "BYTE Award of Excellence" missed a great opportunity for a lame computer pun though? Should have been "BYTE of Excellence Award"...

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 28056 of 53040, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dkarguth wrote:

Cool! Also very interested in the disk images! Thank you!

Reply 28057 of 53040, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mailman arrived today.

3com 3c509's
Sound Blaster AWE32's
Advent speakers
AMD Duron 1.2ghz on VIA chipset motherboard. ( PCchips).
VLB controllers

Attachments

• IMG_0925.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0925.JPG
    File size
    1.18 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0922.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0922.JPG
    File size
    833.11 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 28058 of 53040, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vegge wrote:

...but reeks of tobacco so I put it in the basement for now. 😵

Aaaaand.... That is why I smoke my 6 to 10 cigarettes outside. Bad habit, true, yet no need to pest the house. On the other hand. The Playstation2 that I bought brand new in 2001, are still working and I used to smoke extremely heavy back then. (And inside) We are talking anything between 20 and 35 cigarettes a day. After 10 years of daily use and exposure to heavy smoking, it is still working just as good as the day it was bought. Except for the laser, that I had to clean one time.

To make it short. Don't worry. It will not be dead by cigarette smoke, more likely from battery damage or something.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 28059 of 53040, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
Vegge wrote:

...but reeks of tobacco so I put it in the basement for now. 😵

Aaaaand.... That is why I smoke my 6 to 10 cigarettes outside. Bad habit, true, yet no need to pest the house. On the other hand. The Playstation2 that I bought brand new in 2001, are still working and I used to smoke extremely heavy back then. (And inside) We are talking anything between 20 and 35 cigarettes a day. After 10 years of daily use and exposure to heavy smoking, it is still working just as good as the day it was bought. Except for the laser, that I had to clean one time.

To make it short. Don't worry. It will not be dead by cigarette smoke, more likely from battery damage or something.

I built a computer for a lady that smoked a lot (at her computer). It was a pretty decent AMD A6-3670K based system. It ended up with overheating problems because all of the fans were clogged with gunk within a couple years. A year after I cleaned the system out it was apparently dead. Not sure whether to blame AMD or the excessive smoke, but the smoke certainly didn't help. This is the only computer I've ever built that had problems like this and its the only one that was ever exposed to tons of cigarette smoke.

Whenever I get a computer item that smells like smoke I usually end up junking it because the smell never comes out. Unless it's something rare... 🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.