VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 3000 of 53082, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The first AT system is a no brainier, socket 5/7 with a sound blaster and it has been worked on several times. The second system is a nice find as AT slot 1 builds are pretty scarce these days and the third is a nice gem with a lovely case.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3001 of 53082, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hauls like this are the best because you can do so many things and you get spare parts that are otherwise hard to hunt down. Shame no such opportunities come my way, living in the middle of nowhere 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3002 of 53082, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Shame no such opportunities come my way, living in the middle of nowhere 😀

96825-036-707B1102.gif
If you live in anything beside a black dot I see why...

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3003 of 53082, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And of course you have cool & exotic animals all over the place that we don't have here in the US. So... that's a perk right??

😀

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3004 of 53082, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

If you live in anything beside a black dot I see why...

I live in an "under 2 people / sqm" region 😀

The PostOffice + PO Box is my friend 🤣

My YouTube channel

Reply 3005 of 53082, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

And of course you have cool & exotic animals all over the place that we don't have here in the US. So... that's a perk right??

😀

Sure, except most of them are actively trying to kill you.

I visited my parents over Christmas. I've had to chase a few Eastern Brown snakes away from the house and you always check for redback spiders under the seat before sitting on the toilet... and they live in a '25-60' area.

On the positive side though, we don't have poison ivy/poison oak, which seemed to be EVERYWHERE outdoors when I visited USA.

Back on topic, I bought myself a NIB sealed AWE64 Gold from ebay for christmas. I paid top dollar but I had a paypal voucher that took the edge of a bit. I had been looking for a NIB one to add to my collection for a while now, and whenever they come up they seem to be USA only.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3006 of 53082, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

😀

Except for them, they see those animals every day so it's no big deal any more than a squirrel or a rabbit would be to us. We could be surrounded by them and not even notice (until they attacked!)

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/75nA/directv-attack-of-the-squirrels

Reply 3007 of 53082, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
Artex wrote:

😀

Except for them, they see those animals every day so it's no big deal any more than a squirrel or a rabbit would be to us. We could be surrounded by them and not even notice (until they attacked!)

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/75nA/directv-attack-of-the-squirrels

Always laugh when I see that commercial.. 🤣

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3008 of 53082, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

I visited my parents over Christmas. I've had to chase a few Eastern Brown snakes away from the house and you always check for redback spiders under the seat before sitting on the toilet... and they live in a '25-60' area.

Wow, those ARE big. 😀

428px-Big_Redback_8MP.jpg

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3009 of 53082, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

[/quote]

On the positive side though, we don't have poison ivy/poison oak, which seemed to be EVERYWHERE outdoors when I visited USA.

[/quote]

Where I live poison ivy doesn't bother us much and the only thing we have to watch out for is snakes, the only other major pest is suicidal drivers from the big cities and truck drivers that drive like bats out of hell 😵

Where I live hurricanes are good news (we always need the rain).

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3010 of 53082, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Saw 4 of these for $5 each, no bids. Asked the seller if he'd post them combined, said yes, bid on all of them and got them all 😀

Now I need to learn how to remove the stock coolers on these slot 1 bastards...

6xRUfGph.jpg

My YouTube channel

Reply 3011 of 53082, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got a Commodore 128D. They're getting pretty scarce and the price was reasonable so I figured I better pop for one now because they're only going to go up and they're great retro game machines. Who had more games in the 80's and early 90's than Commodore? Nobody, I think, not even PC.

Also got in the mail that Diamond Monster Sound MX300 that I paid $15 for.

Reply 3012 of 53082, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Saw 4 of these for $5 each, no bids. Asked the seller if he'd post them combined, said yes, bid on all of them and got them all 😀

Now I need to learn how to remove the stock coolers on these slot 1 bastards...

1.5 mm Allen key if I remember correctly

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3013 of 53082, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:

Turns out the coolers are for Celerons. I didn't know they take different coolers 😒

I'm just rendering a video about removing the cooler 😀 At least on the Pentium 2 models I had.

My YouTube channel

Reply 3014 of 53082, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Turns out the coolers are for Celerons. I didn't know they take different coolers 😒

I'm just rendering a video about removing the cooler 😀 At least on the Pentium 2 models I had.

if you have a bit of imagination and some hardware about, you mount anything to anything. Those coolers you linked are SECC 1's, its easy to mount them onto a slot-1 celeron.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3015 of 53082, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

if you have a bit of imagination and some hardware about, you mount anything to anything. Those coolers you linked are SECC 1's, its easy to mount them onto a slot-1 celeron.

Helpful for any tips!

I made a video here which shows you all the gear:

Removing and replacing Slot 1 CPU cooler

My YouTube channel

Reply 3017 of 53082, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Will those coolers work with Slot A Athlons?

SECC 1 coolers fit perfectly on slot-a cpus. however most can't handle the heat. The ones pictured above look a bit small for anything above 750mhz.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3018 of 53082, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2e5m555.jpg

Three more AT cases. I think there is hardware in too.. (the three on the right) I give them a good scrub.. Then i going using the BBlond stuff to get the yellowing from the cases.. If the paint of the metal base is damaged or rust i think i going sandblast it and painting it over again, so it would new again.. Only need to wait i got these cases here, iam going to use the best cases for my build.. The other i keep in backup, or the ugliest iam going to sell again. The seller also found the missing front cover.. So i will see if it arrived it here. For now only wait, wait, wait..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3019 of 53082, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey that's a white Escom? Or just a computer with an Escom sticker. They usually did black computers. It was their "signature".

My YouTube channel