Reply 3680 of 27655, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenerb wrote:

I have a lo-tech XT-IDE compact flash adapter I'm also using

Cool.... 😜

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3681 of 27655, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can the serial port be disabled on this board? Looks like it could be a useful piece of kit and I might have to put one on my to obtain/make list.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3682 of 27655, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

Can the serial port be disabled on this board? Looks like it could be a useful piece of kit and I might have to put one on my to obtain/make list.

Yeah your don't have to build the serial port circuit.

Reply 3683 of 27655, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tested out the Asus CUSL2-M board with unknown CPU and ram as it was sold as untested/not working. Plugged in a ATI Rage Pro card and powered on first time. Pentium III 733mhz with 128mb Ram. Not bad for 99p 🤣

20160518_102910.jpg

Reply 3684 of 27655, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bancho wrote:
Just tested out the Asus CUSL2-M board with unknown CPU and ram as it was sold as untested/not working. Plugged in a ATI Rage Pr […]
Show full quote

Just tested out the Asus CUSL2-M board with unknown CPU and ram as it was sold as untested/not working. Plugged in a ATI Rage Pro card and powered on first time. Pentium III 733mhz with 128mb Ram. Not bad for 99p 🤣

20160518_102910.jpg

Wow I'm glad it finally works, quite a good deal!!

PD: Only replaced a PSU noisy fan, I like it silent 🤣.

Reply 3686 of 27655, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Put some parts I no longer have space for out for the recyclers coming round today. Pretty painless and cathartic.

Last edited by ratfink on 2016-05-19, 14:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3687 of 27655, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got my office cleaned up and organized after a tear-down and rebuild of a few vintage systems and tried to install a 4-port KVM for my systems. However, I ran into numerous issues.

Firstly, Serial to PS2, then PS2 back to serial did NOT work with my belkin KVM, as the mouse didn't work at all. Also, AT keyboard to PS2 and then from PS2 back to AT didn't work either, though the power from the AT motherboard to power the KVM did work. VGA switching had no issues.

I bought an older KVM switch that has both AT and PS2 keyboard ports for in and outs, plus PS2 and Serial mouse:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-OmniView-Keyboar … ailpage_o00_s00

I'm hoping that fixes my issues and allow me to have a few different systems hooked up at once.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 3689 of 27655, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Repaired one of my vintage head phones, a Cherry KS-208.
The cord was broken, so I replaced it with a new one and added a shiny new plug.
There's not much to say except it was made in Japan somewhen in the mid/late 20th century (1970s ?).

Sx4dThY.jpg

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3690 of 27655, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My "Mendocino" Celeron came in today specifically a 466mhz one just to test out my Shuttle Hot 687z i got a few weeks back. Happy to say board works fine. Does anyone have any experience with the 687 series of boards? I've managed to find a Manual for the 687 Which relates to the Z board and found the initial bios. Apparently the board can fun FSB speeds upto 133. Strangely you can select 3 speeds in the Bios, 66/75/83. Computer will boot at 83fsb to give 582mhz. Not tested further than booting to bios mind so whether that's stable or not is another question. Will have a good play with this board as it seems like a decent board for cellys. SB Link too.

Reply 3691 of 27655, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a board with the ZX chipset, right? If I remember correctly there are 2 variants of this chipset, one that support a maximum FSB of 100MHz and one that supports only 66MHz. 133MHz will be a stretch, even if it is the 100MHz one.

Bancho wrote:

My "Mendocino" Celeron came in today specifically a 466mhz one just to test out my Shuttle Hot 687z i got a few weeks back. Happy to say board works fine. Does anyone have any experience with the 687 series of boards? I've managed to find a Manual for the 687 Which relates to the Z board and found the initial bios. Apparently the board can fun FSB speeds upto 133. Strangely you can select 3 speeds in the Bios, 66/75/83. Computer will boot at 83fsb to give 582mhz. Not tested further than booting to bios mind so whether that's stable or not is another question. Will have a good play with this board as it seems like a decent board for cellys. SB Link too.

1982 to 2001

Reply 3692 of 27655, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

It's a board with the ZX chipset, right? If I remember correctly there are 2 variants of this chipset, one that support a maximum FSB of 100MHz and one that supports only 66MHz. 133MHz will be a stretch, even if it is the 100MHz one.

Yeah its the ZX 100mhz variant. There is a jumper you remove to allow 100mhz which is set manually. Its more that the 466 has a 7x multiplier so there's no chance it would run at 700mhz. I might keep a look out for the lower multi chips and grab one to see if it runs at 100mhz. I reckon it would make a nice dos/98 machine paired up with a Voodoo card.

Reply 3693 of 27655, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ugh..... 😒

So for years I've been trying to build a power supply for a Supermicro P6DNF. IT has the usual two plug AT connectors, plus another header for 3.3v and another for 5V. I could never find any indication about how mandatory they were, so I was taking an AT form factor power supply, transplanting in an ATX power supply and splicing in all the cabling to make it work.
Just like how we've all come across pages glued together in a book or manual the PDF I had seemingly had pages 2-5 and 2-6 missing and I never noticed it.
I misplaced my copy of the PDF so I downloaded it again and low and behold...

Attach power supply cables to J20 for 5V power supply or J21 for a 3.3v power supply. (optional for OEM customers only)

So....I'm guessing there's an OEM power supply that handles 3.3v externally for some reason instead of regulation happening on the board itself. Meaning I could of had this machine built and running years ago.
Guess what I"m building this weekend? 😁

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 3694 of 27655, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Played Xargon on my IBM PS/2 today... haven't played that in years!

Oh and I rendered this the other day (was meant to post here but forgot 😵 )

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcqwmn0451mji5n/201 … 51802a.png?dl=0

Hope you guys like it!

Reply 3695 of 27655, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
orinoko wrote:

Oh and I rendered this the other day (was meant to post here but forgot 😵 )

Wait. You said rendered. But it's a photo, right? 😉

Very nice!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 3696 of 27655, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you brassicGamer 😀 have a heap more of detail to add to those and a heap more machines to model... I'll probably end up handing them over to the community once I'm done...

And now I'm building a Pentium 4 system to play early 2000s games and watch old demoscenes... not too retro I guess but it's been ages since I built up a P4 system!

Reply 3697 of 27655, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

orinoko--love that render! Would you mind sharing in layman's terms how you did it? Software used, etc? 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3698 of 27655, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

orinoko--love that render! Would you mind sharing in layman's terms how you did it? Software used, etc? 😀

Thanks 😀 I use Blender with the Cycles engine to model it all as separate objects and then I import them all into this scene for a 'group photo's to see how the materials (the shaders and textures) play off each other.

Each model is measured to the millimetre to ensure accuracy, although I can tell you there are some parts that are a tiny bit off due to various reasons, but I do spend hours putting them all together. This is a few weeks worth off and on doing it.

Great thing about it is I set up the machine next to me and play with it as I'm modelling so that's a plus!

Reply 3699 of 27655, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
orinoko wrote:

Great thing about it is I set up the machine next to me and play with it as I'm modelling so that's a plus!

Wow, so it's not just a fantasy lineup - you have these machines for real? Would love to see a pic of the actual articles too. The attention to detail is incredible, like the line of light leaking in through the case of the far-right IBM that's visible through the grille.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.