VOGONS

Reply 40 of 48, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
swaaye wrote:

It kicks around the Pentium though at the same clock speed.

Even in FPU performance?

Pentium MMX slaps the K5 FPU around unfortunately. It's about the same as K6 in this way. Intel was the only company taking x87 seriously at the time.

But what's interesting is in Quake a K5-133 beats a K6-3+ @ 133! Interesting huh? I guess K5's mean ALU performance isn't for naught.

Reply 41 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:
My parents have a nearly silent 2.66 Northwood and I have one at work as a web kiosk. They are both Dell boxes and are cooled by […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

Netburst had the tendency to underclock itself when it got to a certain temperature, so when it's heatsink gets too ineffective at cooling it (dust is one reason) it would simply start performing worse.

My parents have a nearly silent 2.66 Northwood and I have one at work as a web kiosk. They are both Dell boxes and are cooled by a plain aluminum heatsink and a quiet ducted 92mm case outlet fan. The cases even have crap airflow as I found out when I tried putting a Prescott in one.

Prescott is the furnace. Before that core, P4 really was not that hot. But Prescott is like a quad core without the excitement of actual performance.

ux-3 wrote:

Apologies if it got mentioned before, but one chief advantage of the Athlon/Duron chips was there huge L1 cache. 4 times as much as a P3 of any kind.

It's just AMD's take on caching. Their L1 may be huge but it's also slower and less associative than Intel designs so it's less effective. It was a huge benefit for the Duron though because losing some L2 cache wasn't as big of a deal.

BTW, Sandy Bridge is doing away with AMD's decade old 128K L1 design.

After having done some more reading, it seems you have a point about the Northwoods. Actually, I've been looking for Northwood chips myself (already had a couple s478 boards) and already got myself a couple, I consider the Northwood one of the more interesting Netburst CPU's around.
Preshot is probably the worst. I'd actually prefer Williamette as it was the very first P4 (yes, I want a s423 rig 😁 ).

Btw, I think Cedar Mill might also be interesting in some way.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 42 of 48, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember working on a guy's PC which was a 423 1.6GHz Willamette, with SDRAM. It was a real dog. The whole system just seemed sluggish.

Obviously an RDRAM 423 system would be the one to go for but they seem pretty rare- even back in the day I don't remember seeing one around this neck of the woods.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 43 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

I remember working on a guy's PC which was a 423 1.6GHz Willamette, with SDRAM. It was a real dog. The whole system just seemed sluggish.

Obviously an RDRAM 423 system would be the one to go for but they seem pretty rare- even back in the day I don't remember seeing one around this neck of the woods.

s423 seems to be about as uncommon as Socket 4 was, or is.
I've found 478's in the wild quite often now, see them for sale, but s423's I've only seen on Ebay.

Report spammers here!

Reply 44 of 48, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got a free Socket 478 i845 SDRAM box with a Willamette 1.8 in it. It was so slow that I didn't even want it in my collection. I even had PC133 CL2 in it and it still felt like a P3 500.

Last edited by swaaye on 2011-03-09, 23:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 45 of 48, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

Agreed, my first P4 was about the same, but it was a 478 Willamette...

Pretty woeful stuff.

DonutKing wrote:

RDRAM systems are a bit of a red herring, you get equivalent or better performance with the later DDR based boards with the 865PE chipset.

I upgraded from my Willammete on an i845 board to a 2.4GHz Northwood on an 865PE board, and the difference was profound, well beyond the rise in clock speed.

Reply 46 of 48, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well yeah, but I don't think there is such thing as a 423 board with DDR... is there ?

I wouldn't bother with a 478 RDRAM system beyond the curiosity value of the esoteric RAM type.

When I worked for a hospital they paid BIG money for a PC attached to a medical scanner- pentium 3 with 128MB RDRAM 😳 such a waste of money but that's government for you 😒

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 47 of 48, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

well yeah, but I don't think there is such thing as a 423 board with DDR... is there ?

I wouldn't bother with a 478 RDRAM system beyond the curiosity value of the esoteric RAM type.

No, of course not! 😀 I was just wondering why you'd bother to get any RDRAM system, considering that dual-channel DDR is as fast or faster, not to mention hugely more available.

If not for the curiosity value, of course! 😁

(Actually, as I type this, I remember hearing that maybe RDRAM systems had better latency properties than DDR systems? But are there any RDRAM motherboards that also support 800MHz FSB Northwoods?)

Reply 48 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a very few s423 DDR boards, they had a VIA chipset.
Gotta luv VIA!! 😁

Anyway, I haven't been able to track one down yet

Report spammers here!