VOGONS

Reply 40 of 46, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh well 🤣 I have windows 98SE on there now so I would be reluctant to go back to windows 95 anyhow.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 41 of 46, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Aztech combo card has very clean output if you ever put win95 back in it.
The installer doesn't work correctly under 98se for some odd reason.
Had the same issue, got everything to work, but its software wave-table sound under 98se.
By manually installing the drivers under device manager.

I then replaced it haha, the CPU tab after years of pressure from the OEM heatsink and its sharp terrible clip, cut through the prong on the socket.
I had to replace it with a cooler with a 3 prong tab, and that cooler is tall enough to obstruct that long combo card. Or any long ISA card for that matter.
Its a desktop model with a riser card.

Reply 42 of 46, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh weird, I wonder why packard used the riser cards so much? 🤣
I'm definitely going to have to put a real cooling fan on this computer too when the 200MMX gets here, the only thing that is currently on the CPU is a green passive cooling fin. It surprisingly runs pretty cool though overall, not at all like my PCjr or some of my newer computers. That PCjr is like a furnace after only using it for a few hours.

The "Designer Tower" cases are quite nice, they have a massive riser card in them with 4 PCI slots and 2 or three ISA slots near the top so even if I loaded it up I could still fit my isa cards in, I probably wont be adding isa cards to this though. 🤣

Reply 43 of 46, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not? thats the point of an old machine!
You really need a ISA Sound card with good dos support. Or just for the FM synth sound.
You can run a PCI\ISA sound card together. I do it in many machines.
Pick up a Sound Blaster 16 or one of the Vibras that have the YMF chip on it, or something for cheap.
ESS 1688\186x cards can also be a good choice if you get one with a good build quality, they sound almost identical to a Sound blaster pro2, and cost almost nothing.

Reply 44 of 46, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I may buy an ISA sound blaster 16 for my DOS games (Especially Earth 2140 which is super finicky) , I didn't know you could use both though! How does that work?
I say I probably wont because my Live! card is very nice for Pentium era games, and the pseudo surround is amazing. 🤣

I wish I could get that tuner card working though, I watched Road Geek set up one on his computer and it was so cool! I think that's definitely something I must have on my Packard. 🤣

Reply 45 of 46, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool! The guy let me cancel the transaction. 😀

Also I just won an auction with 2 P200mmx cpus for less money than the original listing I posted this about. 🤣

Reply 46 of 46, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. Run the Live! into the SB-16 - Line-In, with a mini jack cable, will get a quality loss for this, easiest way, and you can run dos games in dos.

2. Run the SB-16 into the Live! - Line-In, with a mini jack cable, do this if you don't care about dos, you can also go digital if you want with the live!
This will let windows games and normal midi music Use the Live! for audio playback and the SB-16 for OPL-3 if you wish in windows. So will option 1, but quality loss from the 16 again from option 1. Tho if you have a good 16 you can barely tell.

3.Run the SB-16 and Live separately into a RCA switch with a 3.5mm mini jack to RCA cable or preferably run it into an Audio Video receiver with some good speakers and proceed to switch between them as needed.

They sell Cd-audio cables with multiple connections on ebay for this purpose, so you will get Cd-audio on both cards. You can also just use a cd-cable into the 16, and the 2pin- S/pdif into the Live! from the Cd-rom\Dvd if your drive has it.