VOGONS

Reply 40 of 45, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The DOS driver isn't really a driver, but rather just some startup utility that initializes the card and configures a few things (like the mixer). It does not stay resident and shouldn't crash stuff by itself. Have you tried keeping it on IRQ7, but change the DMA to 0 or 1?

Reply 42 of 45, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
krivulak wrote:

No, I grabbed DOS 6.22 on internet, writed it to floppy and installed it, nothing more, nothing less.

Your confidence about this not being virus-related seems a bit misplaced.

ETA:
The MSD diagnostics suggest IRQ 0 and IRQ 3 are handled by "E.EXE". That looks mighty fishy.

jwt27 wrote:

You could still try some different memory managers. HimemX and Jemm386 are good IMO. Granted, I don't know if they'll work with windows 3.1.

I'm pretty sure Jemm386 doesn't play nicely with Windows at all.

Reply 43 of 45, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Your confidence about this not being virus-related seems a bit misplaced.

Nah, it's from my friend, and I scanned it before writing to floppy with ESET and then with MSAV few times after instalation.

And the E.EXE is part of a Microsoft Driver for serial mouse, it shows that mouse is not installed, but it is there and it's working. Also tried about 15 more drivers, none of them worked, even original software from Genius (I have Genius MouseOne Serial 3B)

Reply 44 of 45, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
krivulak wrote:

And the E.EXE is part of a Microsoft Driver for serial mouse, it shows that mouse is not installed, but it is there and it's working.

It wasn't in the autoexec.bat or config.sys that you posted.

Also tried about 15 more drivers, none of them worked, even original software from Genius (I have Genius MouseOne Serial 3B)

CuteMouse is generally the go-to solution, though in some cases an older version is required. (I forget the specifics.)

Reply 45 of 45, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
krivulak wrote:

Ok, this is SUPER weird. When I disabled the sound driver, Wolf started running. Even the sound came from speakers, but only some of them. Like picking up medkits and golds did, but guns and nazi shoutings didn't.
But now it's clear. There is the problem. So I can trash the only driver for that sound card that I found compatible with DOS/Win 3.11. Any ideas?

The OPL portion of your Sound Blaster will work without any drivers, so you'll still get AdLib music and sound effects. Just not the digital samples.

In this instance, Commander Keen should give you music+SFX capability too.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread