VOGONS

Reply 40 of 46, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GuyTechie wrote:

Can you replace the setup EXE with something that can still execute but not do anything? Like notepad.exe

It looks like the disc image is now available on VOGONSDrivers:

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=52,0

I don't have any pending Win98SE builds to test this out on. If I get some time to play around, I'll test it out for fun. Of course, you could always try it out too.

Ideally, if this worked, it would make a nice official auto-update utility.

Reply 41 of 46, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Bios has no Option for Deactivating ACPI, but I think I can deactivate it in Win98se
Dos=high does not work. It's alway vmm32.sys activatet. If I add himem.sys to the config.sys
it simply does not change anything.

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2016-10-27, 20:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 42 of 46, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

The Bios has no Option for Deactivating ACPI, but I think I can deactivate it in Win98se
Dos=high does not work. It's alway vmm32.sys activatet. If I add himem.sys to the config.sys
it simply does not change anything.

I don't think you can deactivate ACPI in Win98SE once it is already installed. The only way to do it is during installation:

setup.exe /p i

Reply 43 of 46, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I changed the config.sys. "Emm386 ram I=b000-b7ff i=e000-efff frame=e000". Now it works with ems.

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2016-10-27, 22:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44 of 46, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Geforce is gonna bottleneck your C2Q big time. What games do you plan on playing?

Reply 45 of 46, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

x300 shared ati gfx and because of mostly no sound it's only about some demos and pc-beeper stuff.

Reply 46 of 46, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wasn't expecting my old thread to get necro'd, interesting.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

That Geforce is gonna bottleneck your C2Q big time. What games do you plan on playing?

Well, you were entirely correct. I eventually went to a geforce 6800, then a geforce 7800 when I redid it and got the unofficial drivers working.

For those curious, with rlowe's patches and a number of other tweaks, I got the rig working perfectly. Unfortunately, due to quite a number of life events and changes of interests, I decided to part it out and sell it on eBay as I'm currently doing. Compatibility of Win7/10/What games don't have fixes. Had absolutely nothing to do with its effectiveness, I worked beautifully with dos, windows ME(how I solved the problem of this thread, its far easier and has far less patching options while benefiting more from them.), and XP in every game I tested. I just hated the fact that I needed a dedicated desk, and was trying to reduce the physical presence of nostalgia/vintage hardware from my bedroom in general. I'm basically replacing all of said hardware with an extremely small XP/win10 mini itx for emulation and a low maintenance vintage pc gaming os. At the same time I regret nothing, I've learned a lot and I had more fun with the challenge than the actual finished product.

I also agree that the uploaded cd looks like it would be pretty damn useful for future builds if it works.