VOGONS

Reply 40 of 48, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
Thank you. What I meant by "isn't easy to get" is pricing and availability : LINK <= This is my card (1GB DDR3 1600MHz). Who spe […]
Show full quote
meljor wrote:

@_007 Kudos for sticking to the facts and keep on showing stuff that is relevant for the discussion. Btw i have the cib Club3d hd4670 agp 1gb gddr3 version so i think the 1gb versions aren't that uncommon? Also have the hd3850 agp but mine is the Sapphire. I guess both are normal clocked versions. Best system i can come up with is an Asrock 865PE board with a C2D@3ghz and both cards will be a bit bottlenecked on that.

Thank you.
What I meant by "isn't easy to get" is pricing and availability : LINK <= This is my card (1GB DDR3 1600MHz). Who spends that much $ on a AGP GPU ?
I bought my card few years back locally for ~70$ (that's with with shipping).
Does your Club3D have VRAM clocked at 1333MHz ?
EDIT : Here's ASUS version of 4670 1GB AGP, with DDR2 memory : LINK

Didn't check the specs, just tested the card to see if it was functioning ok. Specs that i find on the web say: 750mhz gpu, 1600mhz gddr3 memory

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 41 of 48, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not entirely sure if said individual is intentionally trolling, or if he is just particularly emotional and overly passionate, perhaps subconsciously, about wanting to 'be right' that it fogs any incoming information. We have all likely gone through this phase in our own lives - I suspect it is part of the human development process. Some people figure this out along the way and realise that humility is far more honourable than "being right", whereas there are those in their 70's who are just as self-righteous as they were when they were 20. The choice of words on both sides of this discussion could have been crafted more respectfully such that drama is eliminated, while still addressing the core points. This is mostly rhetorical - with the vast range of user backgrounds on an open, mostly unmoderated forum, it is impossible to maintain coherency.

Last edited by feipoa on 2018-01-27, 22:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 42 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

@_007 Kudos for sticking to the facts and keep on showing stuff that is relevant for the discussion. Btw i have the cib Club3d hd4670 agp 1gb gddr3 version so i think the 1gb versions aren't that uncommon? Also have the hd3850 agp but mine is the Sapphire. I guess both are normal clocked versions. Best system i can come up with is an Asrock 865PE board with a C2D@3ghz and both cards will be a bit bottlenecked on that.

@Emosun Could you make this less personal and just stick to the facts? What about doing some benchies on your own and show the results? What about commenting on what's given to you like benchmarks on sites like Anandtech or the fact that the pci-e version were also pretty close in the TPU review? Both cards have their strong points but the hd3850 seems to be a bit quicker on the highest settings with AA.

The funny thing is that I also have both these exact cards 🤣
The HD4670 AGP I bought when it was new, but most that were for sale were the slower DDR2 HD4650's which I actively avoided.
I later got a Sapphire HD3850 second hand but it ended on my pile of to-do-stuff which I never got around to.

The HD4670 barely made things faster compared to a GF7600GS when used on a sA Barton 3200+. Maybe it did for a little, but it wasn't very noticeable 😀

Btw, I always thought the HD3850 was faster then the HD4670.

feipoa wrote:

I'm not entirely sure if said individual is intentionally trolling, or if he is just particularly emotional and overly passionate, perhaps subconsciously, about wanting to 'be right' that it fogs any incoming information. We have all likely gone through this phase in our own lives - I suspect it is part of the human development process. Some people figure this out along the way and realise that humility is far more honourable than "being right", whereas there are those in their 70's who are just as self-righteous as they were when they were 20. The choice of words on sides of this discussion could have been crafted more respectfully such that drama is eliminated, while still addressing the core points. This is mostly rhetorical - with the vast range of user backgrounds on an open, mostly unmoderated forum, it is impossible to maintain coherency.

Well said 😀

Last edited by Tetrium on 2018-01-27, 22:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 43 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
agent_x007 wrote:
Thank you. What I meant by "isn't easy to get" is pricing and availability : LINK <= This is my card (1GB DDR3 1600MHz). Who spe […]
Show full quote
meljor wrote:

Thank you.
What I meant by "isn't easy to get" is pricing and availability : LINK <= This is my card (1GB DDR3 1600MHz). Who spends that much $ on a AGP GPU ?
I bought my card few years back locally for ~70$ (that's with with shipping).
Does your Club3D have VRAM clocked at 1333MHz ?
EDIT : Here's ASUS version of 4670 1GB AGP, with DDR2 memory : LINK

I suspect the information in your link is incorrect. The part number actually suggests it uses 1GB of GDDR3.

Yes, the Club3D uses 1333MHz, at least mine does.

I paid €140 for mine iirc 🤣!

edit:
Googling the part number got me to the ASUS website itself and there it's stated this card uses DDR3
https://www.asus.com/nl/Graphics-Cards/EAH4670DI1GD3/

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 44 of 48, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

I'm not entirely sure if said individual is intentionally trolling, or if he is just particularly emotional and overly passionate, perhaps subconsciously, about wanting to 'be right' that it fogs any incoming information. We have all likely gone through this phase in our own lives - I suspect it is part of the human development process. Some people figure this out along the way and realise that humility is far more honourable than "being right", whereas there are those in their 70's who are just as self-righteous as they were when they were 20. The choice of words on both sides of this discussion could have been crafted more respectfully such that drama is eliminated, while still addressing the core points. This is mostly rhetorical - with the vast range of user backgrounds on an open, mostly unmoderated forum, it is impossible to maintain coherency.

Well i guess maybe he is just trying to proof something maybe...

Im normally way worse when it comes to today tech AMD vs Intel/nVIDIA, as many uneducated people did call AMD garbage, trash, junk and other crap, while in reality AMD is one of the leading technology companies out there, as they have invented great things with the small amount of resources they have, like Infinity Fabric, the x64 architecture that all computers use today, and other.
And many favor the intel only bcuz of fanboysm, while intel s*** all over the consumer, with every possible effort, last 2 years was so bad for intel, but at least they get now what they deserve...
So people calling AMD to be low quality and trash is just dumb....

Still in the end both HD4670 or 3850 will do fine, with tons of bottleneck from old systems, 4670 is better in terms of power required compared to 3850, so ppl with lower class PSU will be able to use this card if they can find it.. Even the x1950 Pro will be ok for most of the AGP systems..

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 45 of 48, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

'eh - how does the x1950 AGP compare to the 3850 and 4670 AGP cards? What are the pros and cons of each?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 46 of 48, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

'eh - how does the x1950 AGP compare to the 3850 and 4670 AGP cards? What are the pros and cons of each?

X1950 Pro has lower driver load on cpu, so it' better suited for single core agp setups.
It does require more power than hd 4670 and doesn't accelerate video decoding as good. Best perf/$ solution for older agp platforms. It's enough for most agp users. If you prefer NV 7800/6800 gs or 7600 gt are your best bet.
HD 3850 has best performance but requires a powerfull cpu (likely oc'ed), and has highest power requirements.
It can help with video decoding and can use newest drivers available. Prices are usually ok.
HD 4670 is newest of the bunch, gets best video acceleration and delivers best perf/watt ratio.
It's expensive, and can be easy emulated by hacked 4650 (i think that's how 4670 ddr2 was born). It's similar to HD3850 with cpu and drivers.

157143230295.png

Reply 47 of 48, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well depend on the used system, but systems like Pentium IV and AthlonXP will be ok with x1950 Pro, as the HD3850 is just way over their league..

agent_x007 wrote:
X1950 Pro has lower driver load on cpu, so it' better suited for single core agp setups. It does require more power than hd 4670 […]
Show full quote
feipoa wrote:

X1950 Pro has lower driver load on cpu, so it' better suited for single core agp setups.
It does require more power than hd 4670 and doesn't accelerate video decoding as good. Best perf/$ solution for older agp platforms. It's enough for most agp users. If you prefer NV 7800/6800 gs or 7600 gt are your best bet.
HD 3850 has best performance but requires a powerfull cpu (likely oc'ed), and has highest power requirements.
It can help with video decoding and can use newest drivers available. Prices are usually ok.
HD 4670 is newest of the bunch, gets best video acceleration and delivers best perf/watt ratio.
It's expensive, and can be easy emulated by hacked 4650 (i think that's how 4670 ddr2 was born). It's similar to HD3850 with cpu and drivers.

Is interesting to see that the x1950 Pro have lighter CPU load. More interesting is as i did run on my 462 build both 1950 and 3850 on NFS most wanted on max settings without some lag and stuttering was only possible on the 3850, also the 1950 was not able to run that game on max settings, without lagging....

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 48 of 48, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

@Emosun Could you make this less personal and just stick to the facts?

why bother they won't read it.

I could literally type anything , and they wouldn't read it.

they can't even see that they themselves are doing what they are acusing me of doing

feipoa wrote:

perhaps subconsciously, about wanting to 'be right' that it fogs any incoming information.

exactly , I could type anything and they'd do the exact same

I've even seen them ask questions regarding things that I've already typed , which means they aren't reading what I typed or just skipping large parts of the thread.

forget it , why bother? even right now , they skimmed this very post. Not a solveble problem