VOGONS

Reply 40 of 45, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's back!
I tried to reflow the nb, no success...
Now while I tried to boot over and over moved I moved the memory sticks in the slot and it booted!
So now I think the problem lies in the memory slot, question is... there is anything I can do about it?
I tried to do it again but the second time it didn't boot.
I obviously tried different memory sticks, just to be sure

Reply 41 of 45, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At least you know it isn't dead.
You could try going through all the ram solder joints. Long tedious work.

Or push and pull and see if you can get the exact combination.

I waited 10+ years to see a few motherboards come back to life, unless it's a matter of life and death, don't stress too much, you'll get there.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 42 of 45, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are definitely right, at least I didn't kill it for good!
Finding what's wrong it's still tricky without proper knowledge and equipment, I always used slot 1-3 when it booted (but one of the first time it did also with 1-2), on a second thought a slot can be gone but the other should be fine, instead even when I swap them around it doesn't boot most of the time.

I bought it because it came with his full bundle, box, manual, cabled, as non working but this thing that it works on random basis just drive me crazy 😁

Reply 43 of 45, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-08-17, 18:02:

Finding what's wrong it's still tricky without proper knowledge and equipment, I always used slot 1-3 when it booted (but one of the first time it did also with 1-2), on a second thought a slot can be gone but the other should be fine, instead even when I swap them around it doesn't boot most of the time.

I bought it because it came with his full bundle, box, manual, cabled, as non working but this thing that it works on random basis just drive me crazy 😁

Updates?

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 44 of 45, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2021-08-20, 18:09:
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-08-17, 18:02:

Updates?

No updates so far, I stopped messing with it.

Next week I give it to someone who has some equipment and I hope we can solve the issue, or declare it dead for good

Reply 45 of 45, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bad news... we tried to boot it many times today, apparently it was working if pushed\bent the high side near the back ports, but it stopped working after the cpu was removed and put back in the socket.
Apparently the problem is in the cpu socket itself, which is smd, so not even easy to replace.