Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JidaiGeki wrote:
Picked up this lot for AUD10 ... […]
Show full quote

Picked up this lot for AUD10 ...

1fzeki.jpg

All untested, but includes 6 Voodoo 1 cards, 3 Voodoo 2, Matrox m3d, couple of SB 2.0s, an SB16, PAS, Video Blaster RT300, etc. Also a bunch of VESA cards, which I have never owned before. Looking forward to some long weeks of testing 😁

Six Voodoo1 cards? Are they all still working?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4921 of 53038, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Man, Christmas came early!

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 4922 of 53038, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JidaiGeki wrote:

<snip>

All untested, but includes 6 Voodoo 1 cards, 3 Voodoo 2, Matrox m3d, couple of SB 2.0s, an SB16, PAS, Video Blaster RT300, etc. Also a bunch of VESA cards, which I have never owned before. Looking forward to some long weeks of testing 😁

If there's any voodoo2's in that pile, they're most likely dead. I remember having a pair of voodoo2's way back when and I just barely touched one of em to the other while installing and it was enough to damage it and cause both to have horrible rainbow color effects while running and I had to RMA both of em. (Even using a wrist strap for static). They're extremely sensitive to touching other cards apparently. So.. if they're in that pile, they're most likely already beyond dead.

Reply 4923 of 53038, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JidaiGeki wrote:

Picked up this lot for AUD10 ... All untested, but includes 6 Voodoo 1 cards, 3 Voodoo 2, Matrox m3d, couple of SB 2.0s, an SB16, PAS, Video Blaster RT300, etc. Also a bunch of VESA cards, which I have never owned before. Looking forward to some long weeks of testing 😁

Congrats, great... but... where is the PAS ? Can't see one. Show it or it didn't happen 🤣

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 4924 of 53038, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
JidaiGeki wrote:

<snip>

If there's any voodoo2's in that pile, they're most likely dead. I remember having a pair of voodoo2's way back when and I just barely touched one of em to the other while installing and it was enough to damage it and cause both to have horrible rainbow color effects while running and I had to RMA both of em. (Even using a wrist strap for static). They're extremely sensitive to touching other cards apparently. So.. if they're in that pile, they're most likely already beyond dead.

Never had any issue with my Voodoo 2 in that regard...

Reply 4925 of 53038, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

Never had any issue with my Voodoo 2 in that regard...

They've always been -far- more sensitive to static and touching other cards than any other card made by anyone that I've ever encountered, I'm not sure why. But I'll always handle them with kid gloves and be extra careful.

Reply 4926 of 53038, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I second that - The voodoo cards from Generation 1 and 2 (Voodoo Graphics, Voodoo Rush and Voodoo 2) are extremely sensitive to static electricity.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 4927 of 53038, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up this this nice little combo this morning, the last and only Slot A cpu and mobo on Mercadolibre (Ebay lookalike), $10.
Athlon 700.
This is going to be for the Voodoo 2 SLI rig.
20140920_142029_zps60c53981.jpg

20140920_142110_zps0e344e41.jpg

Last edited by Splinter on 2014-09-20, 18:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4929 of 53038, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No idea mate.
I thought it could be a PC wholesaler in Buenos Aires, but there is one in Nairobi.
It's quick, that's for sure.
Very pleased as it's the only 'retro' AMD kit I've got, all the rest is Intel.

Reply 4930 of 53038, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMG_20140920_115230902_zpsefec41bc.jpg

got a Tyan Trinity 400 board for £6 boxed with everything included. One of those boards with both a socket370 and slot 1 (not SMP) . Originally came with a 1 GHz celeron , but I replaced it with this 1 GHz Slot1 coppermine (native 133Mhz FSB) . Doesnt have a fan but it does have a giant heatsink (I think this used to be in a Dell machine of some kind) , overall its been ok.

Reply 4931 of 53038, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure this qualifies as retro (VGA is becoming a thing of the past, after all) but I picked this up today for next to nothing:
vgasplitter.jpg?w=600
Will come in useful for things like side by side display comparison, color calibration, lag measuring, among other experiments I'm planning to do.
It has always bugged me how these things were/are so expensive for what amounts to a mediocre video buffer amp because of their somewhat niche applications. I had a look at the internals and I seriously doubt it can do the 250MHz stated in the front of it. 🙄

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 4932 of 53038, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this mobo today with a 1.4ghz Tbird on it.
Ali based accepts DDR or Sdram. Looks in good shape but, haven't tested it yet.
Someone broke one of its pips off but a triple sloted clip should still work, or I can dig up a cooler that actually uses those 4 holes around the socket 😎 .

ASUS A7A266

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2015-08-13, 04:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4933 of 53038, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Indeed, six V1s; three Orchid, two Canopus and one unknown. No chance to test them yet had to hide them from the wife!

Reply 4934 of 53038, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FGB wrote:

Congrats, great... but... where is the PAS ? Can't see one. Show it or it didn't happen 🤣

You're right, it didn't happen - just realised it's a PAS16 not the 8 bit. Guessing the PAS is pretty rare?

Reply 4935 of 53038, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JidaiGeki wrote:
FGB wrote:

You're right, it didn't happen - just realised it's a PAS16 not the 8 bit. Guessing the PAS is pretty rare?

The 8 bit PAS is the rarer of the two, but that doesn't necessarily mean the 16-bit card is common. It's harder to find than your average Sound Blaster, but probably not quite as hard as a GUS.

Reply 4937 of 53038, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JidaiGeki wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Indeed, six V1s; three Orchid, two Canopus and one unknown. No chance to test them yet had to hide them from the wife!

Two Canopus? Lucky bastard! 🤣

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 4938 of 53038, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Holering wrote:
@Darkman That is a great looking heatsink you got on that Tyan mobo Darkman. I wonder what the temps would be on it. […]
Show full quote

@Darkman
That is a great looking heatsink you got on that Tyan mobo Darkman. I wonder what the temps would be on it.

@JidaiGeki
Holy moly that is one heck of a find! All those voodoo cards and you don't even need a voodoo 3 or 4/5. That is a really good price you paid btw.

thats a good question actually, for whatever reason there is no temp sensor on this board, Ive looked online and its one of the few things people seem to complain about at the time because otherwise its a very nice board. Fast and stable. The flexible CPU option and ISA slot make it a nice one. I will say that after several hours of working, both just in windows and games. the heatsink is certainly not too hot. In fact it seems to be cooler than the Zalman copper heatsink I was using for my Athlon.

Reason I got this was that my Athlon Gigabyte board was playing up a bit (occasional failure to detect drives, BIOS not being saved even after a battery replacement, etc) , and its interesting to see the performance difference between the P3 1000 and Athlon 1000. For instance in 3DMark99 my CPU mark is lower , but my overall 3D mark is higher. How that works is beyond me. Likewise Evolva lost some 5 frames, while Sacrifice and Giants was faster on the P3 by around 6 or 7 frames.

Quite odd.

Reply 4939 of 53038, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry I missed these posts, have been ill since last week.

Stojke wrote:

Why are they so special?

Well, tweeters are the first to get fried if you have clipping, so a pair of spare tweeters is a must. JBL 044Ti tweeters are rarer than hen's teeth, though.

borgie83 wrote:

Are these tweeters some sort of super pc speaker? I'm a little confused as well...

Since I use these speakers for my PC, then I guess the answer is "yes". 😉

10514749_10204996470457958_4571985148746942959_n.jpg?oh=7108461ebc40b332a47287d258a9e9b1&oe=548B44BC&__gda__=1422307130_143df7341e99a2fa90c6d83fcc75ee88

obobskivich wrote:

Those are tweeters for full-size speakers - they'd go into a multi-driver system with a crossover.

😎