VOGONS

Reply 5460 of 27624, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well today I started tearing down one of the P100 machines apart. First thing was checking the now 22 year old Macase PSU. Good thing I did! Every cap is a fuhgyuu. Oddly enough no bulged secondaries. But the two primaries are bulged to hell 😮

So if anyone wants a couple AT supplies to recap let me know! May end up replacing the primaries and keeping as emergency spares.

In any case, fixed the sticky front panel buttons with a spurt of WD-40, swapping in a 6.4gb Bigfoot, swapped a new Athena 300watt AT PSU in, and swapping the stock Mach64 out for a matching Diamond V1 and S3 Trio. Might try to get a P166 working in there as well.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5461 of 27624, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Umm, what do the Athena PSUs have for caps? I'm guessing they're not Panasonic.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5462 of 27624, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Umm, what do the Athena PSUs have for caps? I'm guessing they're not Panasonic.

Cheap Chinese. Difference is a manufacture date of 2013 vs 1995

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5463 of 27624, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hopefully they're not Fuhjyyu. Caps one tier up (like Teapo) usually don't fail in the packaging.

Reply 5464 of 27624, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The caps are all "Theng" branded

Reply 5466 of 27624, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Got a va-503+ in today and tested it, but couldn't get it to boot no matter what (blank screen and no boot, have to trust different speaker tomorrow) Couldn't finish testing everything but started out with:
- disconnected everything
- replaced PSU (knew it worked with other FIC but no effect)
- replaced vga card (agp and pci) no effect (both cards previously worked)
- different memory and slots (only tried DIMMS as of yet so SIMMS need testing)

So I ordered a POST card off the bat to save me the trouble in the future only a few euros including postal costs.

Reply 5467 of 27624, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Yeah, I have no idea. Never heard of "Theng".

Ya just to be safe I think I'm going to go with the DTK Technologies 250 watt that I just found in my PSU stack. Weighs 5x more and has a temp controlled fan. Also looks like it may be thengx in the Athena.

Reply 5468 of 27624, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Richo wrote:
Got a va-503+ in today and tested it, but couldn't get it to boot no matter what (blank screen and no boot, have to trust differ […]
Show full quote

Got a va-503+ in today and tested it, but couldn't get it to boot no matter what (blank screen and no boot, have to trust different speaker tomorrow) Couldn't finish testing everything but started out with:

So I ordered a POST card off the bat to save me the trouble in the future only a few euros including postal costs.

Jumper settings manual for the FIC VA-503+ for ya: http://www.outfoxed.net/a4_2.pdf Hope it helps! I own one of these as well and have the manuals downloaded and stashed on my file server from back when the FIC FTP server was active (It's dead now). I also have one for the FIC VA-503A if anyone needs that. I have all the manuals for the 503A, bios settings too in different languages... just the one jumper settings for the 503+ though.

Reply 5469 of 27624, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
kithylin wrote:
Richo wrote:
Got a va-503+ in today and tested it, but couldn't get it to boot no matter what (blank screen and no boot, have to trust differ […]
Show full quote

Jumper settings manual for the FIC VA-503+ for ya: http://www.outfoxed.net/a4_2.pdf Hope it helps! I own one of these as well and have the manuals downloaded and stashed on my file server from back when the FIC FTP server was active (It's dead now). I also have one for the FIC VA-503A if anyone needs that. I have all the manuals for the 503A, bios settings too in different languages... just the one jumper settings for the 503+ though.

Jumper settings was the first thing I checked and need to change them once I start using edo ram. The FIC ftp is still up, downloaded the manual and bios updates from there.
Also replaced cmos and reset de bios (forgot to mention). The only difference with my other broken va503+ (need to replace din 5 for keyboard) is the cache used otherwise the are the same(revision of this one is lower though as cache is lower and also has no ATX psu connector) Going to ponder about this in the afternoon (first up is replacing the speaker so I may discover what beep code is bugging me).

The POST card should come in handy anyway, never read about them here 😲

Reply 5470 of 27624, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ODwilly wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Yeah, I have no idea. Never heard of "Theng".

Ya just to be safe I think I'm going to go with the DTK Technologies 250 watt that I just found in my PSU stack. Weighs 5x more and has a temp controlled fan. Also looks like it may be thengx in the Athena.

ChengX is a junk cap brand. Maybe that's it.

Reply 5471 of 27624, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally I've put to work my HP Proliant ML350 G6, found time ago aside the street bin... It's running Debian 8 Testing, and currently it has 1x Xeon E5520, and 24GB DDR3 1066 ECC, after my upgrade. It missed the PSU, so I've found a new one on eBay for cheap. No server drives, just a common SATA hard-disk I had spare. It is working 24h/7d since a month, almost quiet and cool - I've managed to setup my personal dedicated game server of:

- Minecraft (Forge modded server) with MCMyAdmin web interface;
- Space Engineers (dedicated server running on VirtualBox Windows 7 VM);
- Urban Terror (Linux native);
- DOSBox IPX (to emulate serial and modem connections on DOS titles in DOSBox);
- More to come... (Half-Life, Project Zomboid, etc.).

Others:

- Mumble VOIP server (Murmur);
- My PHPBB3/Apache2 hosted forum and Webalizer for stats;
- Seti@Home (but to limit heat and consumption I've chosen to suspend for now).

IMG_20170321_184357.jpg

IMG_20170321_184419.jpg

IMG_20170321_184507.jpg

IMG_20170321_184526.jpg

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 5472 of 27624, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kadath wrote:
- Minecraft (Forge modded server) with MCMyAdmin web interface; - Space Engineers (dedicated server running on VirtualBox Window […]
Show full quote

Others:

Tis a talented box, to be sure, and is fair begging for a second CPU. Makes me think I could put my dual Tualatin server to better use than just files.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 5473 of 27624, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:
Kadath wrote:
- Minecraft (Forge modded server) with MCMyAdmin web interface; - Space Engineers (dedicated server running on VirtualBox Window […]
Show full quote

Others:

Tis a talented box, to be sure, and is fair begging for a second CPU. Makes me think I could put my dual Tualatin server to better use than just files.

Thanks, I already have another spare Xeon E5520 CPU, but mounting it will rise consumption, generated heat and mostly I'll have to find the correct HP heatsink kit and baffle, pretty expensive... maybe I can try to use common heatsink/fans, but I don't think it is that easy. I want to find a good Xeon X5675 (3.06 GHz, 12MB L3 Cache, 95w, 6 cores), I think it is preferable to the dual-CPU solution. The E5520 already draws 80w, and it's a quad (8 th.).

If I'm right it's a machine from 2009-ish, pretty nice for dedicated gaming server and other misc servers - much happy to have found and saved it from the destruction. Is there anyone interested in these games?

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 5474 of 27624, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I caressed Batman! He arrived in a box from Nevada.

It turns out Dells OEM version of the original Batman has the Dallas RTC package socketed so I do not even need to dig out my soldering iron! 😀

From what I can tell there isn't even a decent picture of the original Batman on the Internet! Almost all images of the Batman shows the "Batmans Revenge" motherboard. The best picture of the Batman I could find is the one used in this article about Intel motherboards and it's 640*418 pixels and not very sharp.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/146458- … it-of-computing

We used to have a link to the Batman manual here on Vogons in the Intel motherboard thread but the link is dead. If anyone has the manual I would be greateful if it could be uploaded somewhere.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2017-04-11, 20:08. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5475 of 27624, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kadath wrote:
brassicGamer wrote:
Kadath wrote:
Show full quote

Others:

Thanks, I already have another spare Xeon E5520 CPU, but mounting it will rise consumption, generated heat and mostly I'll have to find the correct HP heatsink kit and baffle, pretty expensive... maybe I can try to use common heatsink/fans, but I don't think it is that easy. I want to find a good Xeon X5675 (3.06 GHz, 12MB L3 Cache, 95w, 6 cores), I think it is preferable to the dual-CPU solution. The E5520 already draws 80w, and it's a quad (8 th.).

If I'm right it's a machine from 2009-ish, pretty nice for dedicated gaming server and other misc servers - much happy to have found and saved it from the destruction. Is there anyone interested in these games?

I think you will find that the E5520 does not really draw 80w, at least 95% of the time. The TDP is 80w. It will only approach that when running full tilt.

I may have a few slightly faster Quad E55xx CPUs if you want them for the price of shipping. I'll have to double check the exact model when I get home.I replaced them with X5675s in a couple of Dell dual CPU servers I have and have no use for the quads.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5476 of 27624, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fitted my Voodoo 3 with a spare 60mm fan (actually did this a while ago..)

med_gallery_60983_11505_528203.jpg

And fitted my GF4 Ti 4200 with a 40mm fan (this one came with a big ass case fan bolted on it and a Ti 4400 firmware flashed onto it; the fan has been fixed, now I'll flash it back to the default Siluro Ti 4200 firmware)

med_gallery_60983_11505_191187.jpg

Lately, I'm in love with using zip ties for mounting fans everywhere!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5477 of 27624, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I decided to swap the "Busted" Hard Drive and the 30GB Western Digital I had in my iMac G3/600 Graphite, did some tests, and it turned out the partition was jacked up. So, I reformatted the HDD that originally was in the system, installed Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, and it's been running ever since.

Now it's time for me to replace the 320GB HDD that I have in my Athlon 64 machine since it got jacked up... again, and reformatting the hard drive didn't work out too well, or maybe when running the live version of Xubuntu uses the swap partition causing an error to appear when trying to install Linux onto the Hard Drive.

Also, I got my AMD K6-2 system a better Dell computer screen from late 2013 since the one I had installed stretched the picture, causing a big blur, and the screen I have installed has three different aspect ratios to choose from (4:3, 5:4, and 16:10), as well as VGA, DVI, and DisplayPort to hook up an Apple computer from 2006 or earlier (I could be wrong) and onward to the monitor.

I have the 16:10 used for another computer I'm going to be using, a Dell Dimension 4550 that I purchased a few months ago, which does work really well, and the 4:3 is used for my K6-2 computer, which the whole system is actually clearer than the other Dell monitor I have.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 5478 of 27624, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

I think you will find that the E5520 does not really draw 80w, at least 95% of the time. The TDP is 80w. It will only approach that when running full tilt.

I may have a few slightly faster Quad E55xx CPUs if you want them for the price of shipping. I'll have to double check the exact model when I get home.I replaced them with X5675s in a couple of Dell dual CPU servers I have and have no use for the quads.

You're really kind - please let me know about these models, thanks again! Maybe, waiting for those extra 6-cores models, I can do some little clock upgrade.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 5479 of 27624, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Richo wrote:

Jumper settings was the first thing I checked and need to change them once I start using edo ram. The FIC ftp is still up, downloaded the manual and bios updates from there.
Also replaced cmos and reset de bios (forgot to mention). The only difference with my other broken va503+ (need to replace din 5 for keyboard) is the cache used otherwise the are the same(revision of this one is lower though as cache is lower and also has no ATX psu connector) Going to ponder about this in the afternoon (first up is replacing the speaker so I may discover what beep code is bugging me).

The POST card should come in handy anyway, never read about them here 😲

If I remember right, these motherboards have a "dual" voltage regulator selectable by a jumper. One side for Intel, the other side for AMD. Make sure you get that one part more than anything. And AMD K6-III's have two voltages printed on top of em.. the lower one is the v-core, not the higher one. Both of these things used to trip me up configuring this board. Also it's really, -REALLY- picky about it's ram. I would say also try different ram if you can't get it to POST. At the bare minimum 1 x PC-133 CL2 SDRAM stick @ 128 MB. These boards were already really tight on their ram strappings via bios and like to only run at all with the fastest ram.