Cyrix 5x86 120GP with Biostar MB8433 Version 2

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 64, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

This one looks like it has burnt pins. I wouldn't put much faith in it's functionality.

That's just the interposer board though. He mentioned something about his lousy soldering skills. I'm sure the PGA Cyrix 5x86 that came with it is fine. I think that guy's chip came with a 5x86-100/4x though.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 61 of 64, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rgart wrote:
Hey Feipoa!! […]
Show full quote

Hey Feipoa!!

I now have a new purchase.

bqj1.jpg
8ecv.jpg

whooo hooo 😜

Its difficult to see in the pic (second row first pin). But the evergreen board is missing a pin and I am unable to get the PC to boot when I use it along with the 133 CPU.

Really disappointed about that.

Happens to be the CLK MUL pin.

Feipoa believes this pin has possibly been removed deliberately but I'm not so sure.

No matter what jumper settings I change on the evergreen board I cant get a post or anything....No beeps. Just nothing.

I've tried setting the jumper to OD or Normal too.

So I have set the voltage trimmer to 3.6 volts exactly and Im using the CPU without the evergreen board.

Feipoa is it your bios update that cycles through bios colours automatically? It's a nice touch.

Cache timings are at there fastest.

PCI CLCK Divider 1:1

FP_FAST, RSTK_EN and BTB_EN = on
LSSER=off

2asw.jpg

5ub9.jpg

lrfi.jpg

ugps.jpg

lauq.jpg

lkan.jpg

Last edited by rgart on 2016-06-12, 02:47. Edited 5 times in total.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 62 of 64, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Feipoa is it your bios update that cycles through bios colours automatically? It's a nice touch.

Never seen that happen on any of my boards. Try using the other pre-flashed BIOS chips for this v2012 Biostar.

If you are using EDO memory at some point, I think you first should start out ta 4-2-2-2 before testing 3-1-1-1. Have you tested both of these with EDO memory? It's on my list, but I haven't gotten aroudn to it yet.

Step 0, Rev 5. It seems like this is the latest version for this chip. It would be interesting to see if any of the IBM 5x86c chips which came out in 1997 or 1998 had a later revision/stepping.

EDIT: For EDO RAM, 4-2-2-2 vs. 3-1-1-1 showed no speed difference in cachechk. I'm not really sure what it is for, but it is disabled by default, so perhaps the function was never implemented.

Last edited by feipoa on 2013-08-02, 02:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 63 of 64, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't tried EDO ram. Im just using 1 x 64MB simm of Fast Page Memory.

Are you using EDO? Is that why your benchmarks seem to have better results with memory bandwidth?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 64 of 64, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, I'm not using EDO RAM. Which particular CPU, system, and configurations are you comparing? If you are comparing 4x33 vs. 2x66, then the later will naturally have faster memory bandwidth. Also, you are probably using different Cyrix bit settings as well.