VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 600 of 53176, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I was at the thrift store again this weekend, and I saw from the front of the store a blue Imac, on the shelf in the back. YAY! I thought to myself. However, it was NOT an Imac. Hell, it wasnt even an mac. I found for $12 a Imac CLONE, made by Emachines. The eOne.

I got to play with it tonight, and it looks like I have a project on my hands. Now, the specs claim is has a 433mhz celeron processor. Which I thought would be fine, I have a 850 and a 1000mhz chip can I can toss inside, and LOTS of dimms. So I was planning on taking it from 64mb of ram to its max.

First off, I found the monitor doesn't turn on. The computer sounds like it boots fine. I hear the hard drive click away, and the windows 98 splash sound plays after a few seconds. So at least the power supply and the computer parts are working.

So I pulled it apart. (This SUCKED) it LOOKS like the computer part connects to the rest with standard connectors. So on one side i have a hd-15 monitor connector and a 20 pin atx power. and on the other side I have everything else. So the news goes from bad to worse. The chipset is a 440LX. And for those that dont know, the LX is the red-headed stepchild of the 440 family. limited to 66mhz fsb, and 512mb of ram. I had planned on putting a coppermine celeron but I don't think its going to be compatible. The ram is mounted on the motherborad with a single so-dimm slot. "SHIT" I said to myself as I realize I only have ONE other so-dimm in my collection and its likely only another 64mb stick. Not what I had hoped for. The onboard chip is a ati rage XL, which is fine. i LOVE how it has 2 pcmcia slots. and onboard Ethernet is fine, even though its only 10mbit.

I put it back together, and I'll poke around in the monitor bits after a while. I dont have any good pictures of it, but this should help: http://my2cents4theday.blogspot.com/2008/12/b … past-e-one.html

So if anyone has a spare 766/66/128 celeron and/or 256mb so-dimm that they would let go for cheap, let me know.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 601 of 53176, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So if anyone has a spare 766/66/128 celeron

That won't do you any good. The eOne is limited to Mendocino Celerons, 533mhz is as good as you're gonna get.

Reply 602 of 53176, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The LX has the exact same memory limitations as the BX btw 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 603 of 53176, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been waiting for one of these to come along just for the novelty of owning the machine that Apple sued out of existence. They rarely appear on auction sites and when they do the shipping is a deal killer.

Reply 604 of 53176, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was going to post that there was a complete eONE system on ebay for $25 ad $9 shipping, but it was only the keyboard. Misleading pictures make me want to kick my dog.

Reply 605 of 53176, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up some old Acer tower yesterday for about 8 bucks. Pentium 1 socket 5 based. Had a full size SB 16 ISA card and some Cirrus Logic 2d card in it. Have not fired it up yet, and don't plan to until I have the time to deal with the Dallas RTC stuck in there. I gather all you have to do is mod a new battery onto it, go into the bios screen and reset settings and you are good to go, no?

Reply 606 of 53176, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ProfessorProfessorson wrote:

Picked up some old Acer tower yesterday for about 8 bucks. Pentium 1 socket 5 based. Had a full size SB 16 ISA card and some Cirrus Logic 2d card in it. Have not fired it up yet, and don't plan to until I have the time to deal with the Dallas RTC stuck in there. I gather all you have to do is mod a new battery onto it, go into the bios screen and reset settings and you are good to go, no?

If you're really careful you can cut the Dallas clock battery casing open and wire up a either a AA or a coin cell battery holder to it.

Reply 607 of 53176, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah that was what I was seeing on diff videos, so I figured Id give it a go maybe this weekend if I got time. I have a extra CR2032 battery holder here. Can you use the CR2032 batteries ok on this mod?

EDIT: Also forgot to mention, a 32 meg Winfast GF2 GTS and another 64 meg GTS arrived yesterday. Still need to test out the 32 meg one, but the 64 meg one did fine during a couple hrs of 3dMark 2k and 2k1 test last nite. On a P4 2.5ghz system it got around 7,800 on default on 2k, and about 4,450 on 2k1 on default. Pretty much what I expected it to get.

Reply 608 of 53176, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_ch … .2FIII_chipsets

actually no. 512mb of sd ram MAX. 1gb if you use EDO. 😜

I'm going to "try" to get around to testing this board but I have another project on the main burner. That and I keep getting distracted with building things in minecraft...

Reply 609 of 53176, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_ch … .2FIII_chipsets […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_ch … .2FIII_chipsets

actually no. 512mb of sd ram MAX. 1gb if you use EDO. 😜

I'm going to "try" to get around to testing this board but I have another project on the main burner. That and I keep getting distracted with building things in minecraft...

The LX officially doesn't support 256MB modules when in fact it does. I'll go do some testing when I have time. I know LX supports 256MB modules and 4 of those modules make 1GB

Report spammers here!

Reply 610 of 53176, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know LX supports 256MB modules and 4 of those modules make 1GB

And two of those modules make 512MB, which is the maximum the 440LX can support. You can install four256MB modules, and it'll boot, but it'll only recognize 512MB. I've tried it.

Reply 611 of 53176, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up two slot 1 towers today. One was a Dell Pentium II 333mhz system with a Fire 1k pro Agp card (Permedia 2 Im guessing???), Awe64, cd drive and hp cd burner, ram, etc. The other was a Pentium III tower used by Daewoo, cpu in the 700 mhz range, with some crappy forgettable SIS agp card and onboard audio, etc. 15 bucks for everything.

Reply 612 of 53176, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Picked up two slot 1 towers today. One was a Dell Pentium II 333mhz system with a Fire 1k pro Agp card (Permedia 2 Im guessing???), Awe64, cd drive and hp cd burner, ram, etc. The other was a Pentium III tower used by Daewoo, cpu in the 700 mhz range, with some crappy forgettable SIS agp card and onboard audio, etc. 15 bucks for everything.

Yup. That would be Permedia 2. I have an AccelGraphics card from a Gateway here with that chip. They're a professional card, but not too bad on the OpenGL side of gaming. Not a gaming powerhouse, but acceptable for a little light gaming now and then when the boss isn't looking. I'd really like to find a Permedia 3 card, though. They were supposed to be worlds faster than the Permedia 2.

Reply 613 of 53176, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is the Fire 1k faster then the standard Permedia 2V pci card? I have one of those in a box here. Actually used to have two of them. Not too bad a card for such a old one. And yeah, noticed Open gl support was pretty decent on Permedia. Biofreaks ran in Open Gl on the 2V card without any visual bugs, which usually isn't the case with that game running in normal Open gl.

Reply 614 of 53176, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

I know LX supports 256MB modules and 4 of those modules make 1GB

And two of those modules make 512MB, which is the maximum the 440LX can support. You can install four256MB modules, and it'll boot, but it'll only recognize 512MB. I've tried it.

This is something interesting to test, normally LX is very similar to an underclocked BX. There were a couple budget chipsets based on BX that had a 512MB linit though, but these were later.

Report spammers here!

Reply 615 of 53176, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the Fire 1k faster then the standard Permedia 2V pci card? I have one of those in a box here. Actually used to have two of them. Not too bad a card for such a old one. And yeah, noticed Open gl support was pretty decent on Permedia. Biofreaks ran in Open Gl on the 2V card without any visual bugs, which usually isn't the case with that game running in normal Open gl.

I only have the one Permedia based card, so I have nothing to compare it to. I'm sure there must some old reviews of the FireGL 1K on the hardware review sites.

Reply 616 of 53176, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did a very big catch today. Bought 3 AT computer cases with stuff in it for 7,50 euros each.. I have got them from a company in my neighborhood about 1km from my house..

I like the bigtower the most.. And bought an Baby AT case and a Desktop AT case with 6 expension slot ( i think its little space for expension cards, but oke i don`t need to lot place to putt stuff in this case.. The desktop AT case has a UMC Chipset 386 motherboard in it with an AMD 40mhz soldered to the motherboard with 4MB of ram in it.. Its only not having an vintage hex display..(but yes its having an turbo button!!) But the case itsnt really bad at all.. Further its having an tape drive in it. Iam thinking
of removing it.

54dsc00191.th.jpg

Next case..

46dsc00194.th.jpg

Its a baby AT case with vintage HEX led.. Normally those cases where used in the Pentium Time.. Its was included with an very cheap Target AT PSU and an Abit AB-PT5 Pentium socket 7 motherboard With an Pentuim 100Mhz in it..

Inside the case...
54dsc00195.th.jpg

This is hardly the best case i found:

59dsc00199.th.jpg

I think it was used in the 386 computer time.. because its very old case...
It has an very big psu (i know those are hardly to get)

Its has an black door in the front with an vintage Hex display as well..

The case comes from G computer (says the badget on the front panel)

I need to test the vintage display first.. And need to clean it up.. I was thinking of sanding the case to get the dirt of the base of the case and then polish it to get it to orginal state.. I only think of respraying some parts..

And then putting my 386 system in it..

Need to clean inside the psu and replacing the noisy fan in it..

More pictures:

17dsc00196.th.jpg

To dirty on the back (i dont really like this, want to sand it with very fine sanding papier (maybe adding some water to polish it) And than polish it with polishing paste...

94dsc00197.th.jpg

Inside to case and big PSU block..

73dsc00198.th.jpg

Also included with an Abit AB- PT5 motherboard. ( having 2 now.. but)

One having and broken socket 7 mounting clip ( i want to remove a very sucked cooler, but cant getting it off.. So i thought a flat screwdriver will help in this case, NOT!!!..

So one board have a broken cpu clip, the other one has an dead real time clock cmos battery.. So i was thinking to use the board with broken cpu clip as for the spare parts.. So i need to remove the bios from it.. And need the real time clock to solderd it on the good one.. I dont what iam going to do
with this board. But thinking to put those stuff in anti- electric shock bags an putting it in boxes.. Few years later it could be worth a lot of money..

Inside this case..

62dsc00192.th.jpg

The light on the AMD 386 DX 40mhz processor, it could by upgraded with co-processor as well.. Iam only think this wasnt the orginal motherboard.. Because the case can only use 6 slots on it.. I was thinking of placing an 286 motherboard in it.. 😜

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 617 of 53176, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice catch. AT style cases are getting a bit thin on the ground these days and usually worth picking up if you can find them locally for cheap. Paying to have them shipped makes them prohibitively expensive.

Reply 618 of 53176, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:

Did a very big catch today. Bought 3 AT computer cases with stuff in it for 7,50 euros each.. I have got them from a company in my neighborhood about 1km from my house..

WOOOOOOOO!!!

FINALLY A LUCKY BREAK FOR YOU!! 😁

TIME TO PAAARTEEE
banana09.gif

Robin4 wrote:
I like the bigtower the most.. And bought an Baby AT case and a Desktop AT case with 6 expension slot ( i think its little space […]
Show full quote

I like the bigtower the most.. And bought an Baby AT case and a Desktop AT case with 6 expension slot ( i think its little space for expension cards, but oke i don`t need to lot place to putt stuff in this case.. The desktop AT case has a UMC Chipset 386 motherboard in it with an AMD 40mhz soldered to the motherboard with 4MB of ram in it.. Its only not having an vintage hex display..(but yes its having an turbo button!!) But the case itsnt really bad at all.. Further its having an tape drive in it. Iam thinking
of removing it.

54dsc00191.th.jpg

Next case..

46dsc00194.th.jpg

Its a baby AT case with vintage HEX led.. Normally those cases where used in the Pentium Time.. Its was included with an very cheap Target AT PSU and an Abit AB-PT5 Pentium socket 7 motherboard With an Pentuim 100Mhz in it..

Inside the case...
54dsc00195.th.jpg

This is hardly the best case i found:

59dsc00199.th.jpg

I think it was used in the 386 computer time.. because its very old case...
It has an very big psu (i know those are hardly to get)

Its has an black door in the front with an vintage Hex display as well..

The case comes from G computer (says the badget on the front panel)

I need to test the vintage display first.. And need to clean it up.. I was thinking of sanding the case to get the dirt of the base of the case and then polish it to get it to orginal state.. I only think of respraying some parts..

And then putting my 386 system in it..

Need to clean inside the psu and replacing the noisy fan in it..

More pictures:

17dsc00196.th.jpg

To dirty on the back (i dont really like this, want to sand it with very fine sanding papier (maybe adding some water to polish it) And than polish it with polishing paste...

94dsc00197.th.jpg

Inside to case and big PSU block..

73dsc00198.th.jpg

Also included with an Abit AB- PT5 motherboard. ( having 2 now.. but)

One having and broken socket 7 mounting clip ( i want to remove a very sucked cooler, but cant getting it off.. So i thought a flat screwdriver will help in this case, NOT!!!..

So one board have a broken cpu clip, the other one has an dead real time clock cmos battery.. So i was thinking to use the board with broken cpu clip as for the spare parts.. So i need to remove the bios from it.. And need the real time clock to solderd it on the good one.. I dont what iam going to do
with this board. But thinking to put those stuff in anti- electric shock bags an putting it in boxes.. Few years later it could be worth a lot of money..

Inside this case..

62dsc00192.th.jpg

The light on the AMD 386 DX 40mhz processor, it could by upgraded with co-processor as well.. Iam only think this wasnt the orginal motherboard.. Because the case can only use 6 slots on it.. I was thinking of placing an 286 motherboard in it.. 😜

Very very well done!!

You hit a little goldmine and the price was right also! Very cheap!

Your catch is so similar to mine LoL! Only difference was mine was further to pick up, was even cheaper (but hey, €7,50 is VERY cheap anyway!), were 2 mini and 1 full tower and only 1 had a LED display I think.

Congratulations!![/quote]

Report spammers here!

Reply 619 of 53176, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up the following today:
Microsoft SideWinder Precision Racing Wheel complete in retail box $3
Hammerhead FX USB gamepad $2
HP tower (socket 370 board with Celeron 900ish cpu,hd, disc drive, ram, etc)$5
Hp external cd burner$1

Loving the racing wheel. My son and I just finished off 2 hrs worth of the newer Need for Speed Hot Pursuit title with it and had a blast. For a wheel from 2000, it works great, even in Win 7 64-bit without a hitch.