Topic actions

Reply 6043 of 53138, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:

I just bought a Radeon X1950XTX for 10 Euro 😀

These cards are as common as hen's teeth and unicorns, at least in Sweden.
Its arguably the fastest single GPU DX9 video card.

Jealous!

Any chance you could try out Pandora Tomorrow on a XP machine and check that the lights and shadows work correctly?

How does it compare to the 7900 GTX?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6044 of 53138, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this Packard Bell microphone off ebay for 6$ (Shipping included) because I collect the Packard Bell computers and I had one just like it when I was a kiddo. 😜

I remembered them being pretty good microphones and after fiddeling with linux's mixer and finally finding the Mic boost by using console commands, I wasn't wrong! These are actually pretty decent microphones! I totally thought it was going to sound muffeled and horrible but I am actually quite impressed.

1_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8chc3n.jpg

Face of Technology logo is a nice added bonus. 🤣

3_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8chc3a.jpg

2_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8chc3g.jpg

No my room is usually not this messy, I was working on getting some of my older computers to network so that's why the computer screws are there and the linksys hub is set on top of the tower.

The only problem with this mic is that it has absolutely NO wind stopping material. Which means if you talk directly at the mic you get lots of distortion thanks to breathing into the mic. So for now I have it set next to me so I won't talk into it and it sounds just as good.

Also it lacked rubber feet on the base to keep it from sliding around on a desk, so I added two and that takes care of that. 😜

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 6045 of 53138, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:
Jealous! […]
Show full quote
Skyscraper wrote:

Jealous!

Any chance you could try out Pandora Tomorrow on a XP machine and check that the lights and shadows work correctly?

Some days ago i had bought a sapphire 9800XT 256 AGP with a Zalman VF-700 cooler, but thinking off replacing it with an original one.. I know that the zalman has a better cooling performance, but i dont really like these logy unmanageable coolers that takes two pci bracket heights.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 6046 of 53138, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:
Jealous! […]
Show full quote
Skyscraper wrote:

Jealous!

To answer that I will paste the conclusions from Xbitlabs review.

"Highs:

The highest performance in a majority of games
Excellent performance with enabled FSAA and in extreme resolutions
Simultaneous support for FSAA and floating-point HDR formats
Superb anisotropic filtering quality
Support for temporal antialiasing
Support for adaptive antialiasing (super-sampling is used to smooth out transparent textures)
48 pixel processors ensure a reserve of performance for the future
Support for hardware decoding of H.264 and other HD video formats
Dual-link DVI
VIVO functionality
Efficient cooling system
Quiet operation
Nice looks
Low recommended price at $449

Lows:

High power consumption
Will only be available for purchase in September

"
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/dis … i-x1950xtx.html

It was not easy to find any "Lows" it seems 😀
The only thing this card had against it was that the Geforce 8800 GTX was released a few months later.

I think I own Pandora Tomorrow, if I find it I will test it. I dont think I ever played it.
Im looking at the install discs for the original Spliter Cell right now but I doubt it would push the card.

I have bought most of my "modern games" in bulk from Ebay/Tradera so Im not totally up to date when it comes to what games I actually own.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 6047 of 53138, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if it's the right place for it,but I got a freebie today:

ASUS Radeon HD3450 on AGP8X. It had a seized fan but I fixed that.
No idea about how much memory it has.

Back on topic,bought a Premier LC-B400ATX PSU that doesn't power on. Hope I can get it to work,as it has a -5V rail 😀

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 6048 of 53138, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:
Bought this Packard Bell microphone off ebay for 6$ (Shipping included) because I collect the Packard Bell computers and I had o […]
Show full quote

Bought this Packard Bell microphone off ebay for 6$ (Shipping included) because I collect the Packard Bell computers and I had one just like it when I was a kiddo. 😜

I remembered them being pretty good microphones and after fiddeling with linux's mixer and finally finding the Mic boost by using console commands, I wasn't wrong! These are actually pretty decent microphones! I totally thought it was going to sound muffeled and horrible but I am actually quite impressed.

1_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8chc3n.jpg

How do those speakers sound anyway? (Not that I buy the 180 watts claim on them. 🤣 )

Reply 6049 of 53138, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They sound amazing. Seriously I think they are the best speakers I've ever had and they do get excessivley loud. 🤣

Reply 6050 of 53138, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

They sound amazing. Seriously I think they are the best speakers I've ever had and they do get excessivley loud. 🤣

Won't requite the pic, but they look like a rebadge of the Goodmans Active 75 - and they were a really stunning set.
http://img.2dehands.be/f/preview/203231330-mu … r-active-75.jpg - under many names

I have a pair of Active 25's, and while quite small, they sound good for their size

Reply 6051 of 53138, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

We used to drink beer and listen to carnivore, manowar, danzig and Black sabbath in 95.
Using those speakers. Yup. They are good speakers.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6052 of 53138, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah it was quite the find because I picked them up for 3$ at a local thrift store. I wasn't quite satisfied with the other speakers I had been using (I don't remember what they were) and so I thought these beasts aughta do it and bought them completely on looks alone. 🤣

Reply 6054 of 53138, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just purchased a complete socket 754 system for 8 dollars. (without mouse, keyboard and monitor)

MSI K8MM-V mobo.
Sempron-something CPU.
2x512 megabyte DDR1 memory.
CD-Rom drive.
40 gig of samsung HDD.

Complete in running condition. They wanted to give it to me, and I refused.
They needed to get at least something in return for the system.
Yeah... I know it is not retro, as this is a 2005 system, yet I can use the
300 watt PSU for my 1999 build, currently in the progress of being finished.
It's got -5v and allmost dustfree.

The rest of the system need a new psu, and then installed as a Linux NAS. (New HDD's too)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6056 of 53138, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Neat find on the X1950XTX - very nice for DX9 if the power load isn't a problem for your PC (which it shouldn't be with a modern PSU). Should do HDR+AA in a number of games, and provide generally good performance for most games (I wouldn't be surprised to see it running much more modern games up until the lack of DX10 support disqualifies it).

King_Corduroy - you can probably get a windsock for that mic pretty easily, I would just look for something designed for a headset or lapel mic.

Reply 6057 of 53138, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got two Taiwanese 64GB 800x CF cards, seller claimed they support UDMA6 with 120MB/s read and 60MB/s write speeds.
HA! No way. They run in UDMA4 and 40MB/s read and 10MB/s write is the best they can do. Reason enough to return them.

edit: or, maybe not... There's a jumper on the CF adapter to run it at 3.3V. With that set, the controller does detect them as being UDMA6 capable. But now neither DOS or Windows will boot. Any ideas?

Reply 6058 of 53138, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

Got two Taiwanese 64GB 800x CF cards, seller claimed they support UDMA6 with 120MB/s read and 60MB/s write speeds.
HA! No way. They run in UDMA4 and 40MB/s read and 10MB/s write is the best they can do. Reason enough to return them.

edit: or, maybe not... There's a jumper on the CF adapter to run it at 3.3V. With that set, the controller does detect them as being UDMA6 capable. But now neither DOS or Windows will boot. Any ideas?

Have you reinstalled Windows on them after the change? I could see that a UDMA change could plausibly confuse the OS that much.

Reply 6059 of 53138, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here comes a short rant.

Some sellers on the Swedish "Ebay" are just totally messed up in the head.

I bought a motherboard from a seller and because he was shipping with a carrier that allows 10KG for a fair price I put in a 0.1 Euro bid on the rest of his auctions. I won a few but the seller wont ship the stuff together so I have to pay ~6-7 euro for every 0.1 Euro item I won. He wont allow me to just pay for the stuff and let him throw it away or sell it to someone else either. I can choose between getting a negative rating for every auction I won or pay up. Swedish "Ebay" allow sellers to rate buyers. The seller only do this because he feels I got the stuff too cheap but for me a DVD-RW is hardly worth 7 Euro shipping and a PCI 100mbit network card is for sure not worth 4 Euro shipping 🙁

I will not buy from this retard again.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.