Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 6880 of 53137, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Godlike wrote:

Anyone know exact Asus P5S-B release date?
1997? 1998? 1999?

From the manual:

p5sb-date.png

EDIT: Lukeno94 beat me to it, oh well :>

Reply 6883 of 53137, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lukeno94 wrote:

Why so specific? Manual Revision 1.01 E364 was published in April 1999, if that helps.

I have checked that manual before my post but didn't believe it. It has isa/pci without any agp and I thought is older ~1998. Thanks anyway

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 6884 of 53137, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a reason it has no AGP; the onboard VGA uses it. My PIII 450 MHz 440BX HP Vectra system is from around 1999 and has an identical sort of setup (built-in graphics uses the AGP interface, only PCI and ISA available on a riser card due to the form factor).

Reply 6885 of 53137, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got it in my paws, so here's a better picture with my nice camera.

r_ga-7n4000-pro2.jpg

Larger Version (Quite Large): http://www.outfoxed.net/ga-7n4000-pro2.jpg

And seems I'm the luckiest guy in the entire damn world today.. 😎 😎 😎

Popped the heatsink off to see what CPU It comes with and...

r_ga-7n4000-pro2-cpu.jpg

Larger: http://www.outfoxed.net/ga-7n4000-pro2-cpu.jpg

So for $16 with free shipping, I got not only one of the fastest ever AthlonXP motherboards, with all the extra bells and whistles on it (IDE Raid chipset, SATA raid chipset, AGP 8x, Dual-ddr-400), but I also got a 512KB 3200+ Barton chip, and the stepping code is the second-best for overclocking to boot.

I'm feeling pretty darn good today. I haven't tested it yet, might get to it later tonight but the motherboard looks spotless to me and in perfect condition.

I just wanted to share my loot with the vogons folks.. off to check out free Star Citizen.

Reply 6886 of 53137, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Got it in my paws, so here's a better picture with my nice camera. […]
Show full quote

Got it in my paws, so here's a better picture with my nice camera.

Larger Version (Quite Large): http://www.outfoxed.net/ga-7n4000-pro2.jpg

And seems I'm the luckiest guy in the entire damn world today.. 😎 😎 😎

Popped the heatsink off to see what CPU It comes with and...

Larger: http://www.outfoxed.net/ga-7n4000-pro2-cpu.jpg

So for $16 with free shipping, I got not only one of the fastest ever AthlonXP motherboards, with all the extra bells and whistles on it (IDE Raid chipset, SATA raid chipset, AGP 8x, Dual-ddr-400), but I also got a 512KB 3200+ Barton chip, and the stepping code is the second-best for overclocking to boot.

I'm feeling pretty darn good today. I haven't tested it yet, might get to it later tonight but the motherboard looks spotless to me and in perfect condition.

I just wanted to share my loot with the vogons folks.. off to check out free Star Citizen.

You lucky bastard 😁

How about some fancy CPU cooler like Cooler Master Aero 7+?

Reply 6887 of 53137, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

Nice pickup. I've been thinking about an nForce 400 Ultra board myself. You'll have to tell us how the rebuild goes.

Reply 6888 of 53137, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was it a few years ago that Athlon MB's were going for next to nothing on ebay? I was grabbing the ABIT models for under $12 shipped. The last generation 400 FSB Athlons are fun to mess with.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 6889 of 53137, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

You lucky bastard 😁

How about some fancy CPU cooler like Cooler Master Aero 7+?

Solid-Copper with mirror bottom 462 heatsink I have for now. Probably use it long-term in here until I find something better.

QBiN wrote:

Nice pickup. I've been thinking about an nForce 400 Ultra board myself. You'll have to tell us how the rebuild goes.

To both of you: I'm planning to do a simple POST Test on it here in about 45 minutes and run phil's DOS BENCH suite on it with a Kyro II if it gets that far.

EDIT: For you two (and anyone else curious) I created my own thread for this system, and we can continue discussing it over here: ... So I don't de-rail this thread any further.

Reply 6890 of 53137, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmmmmm..... I threw out my Gigabyte N-Force Ultra board with 2500XP chip & DDR 400 ram, hope I don't come to regret that decision.... Seemed like a good idea at the time, also a triplex Gefroce 4 ti4200 nice silver pcb....

Reply 6891 of 53137, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dirkmirk wrote:

hmmmmm..... I threw out my Gigabyte N-Force Ultra board with 2500XP chip & DDR 400 ram, hope I don't come to regret that decision.... Seemed like a good idea at the time, also a triplex Gefroce 4 ti4200 nice silver pcb....

OK, let's make a topic "Thrown away these (retro) hardware today".

Reply 6892 of 53137, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To be honest, I threw that exact board out years ago after having it less than two weeks... But only because mine didn't work and the store would not accept returns.

I don't know if it was just mine, but that board really sucked when I tried it, the performance was lacking, I could never get it to run stably, the RAID did not work properly and the SIO chip burned itself out. Hopefully kithylin has better luck. It felt like it could have been a decent low-cost board anyway, so maybe I just had a faulty one.

I would NEVER throw a Triplex 4Ti out, even if it didn't work, those cards were beautiful. I've never forgotten my friend's 4800.

The Athlon XP 3200+ isn't such a big deal though, at best it was 3-5% faster than the 400MHz version of the 2600+, even in faster motherboards like the DFI LANParty series.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 6893 of 53137, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I junked an Athlon XP 2200+ system, but only because I was completely unable to get it going properly and I was about 12. Pretty much everything on it was knackered - it was the first system I stripped and put back together.

Reply 6894 of 53137, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lukeno94 wrote:

There's a reason it has no AGP; the onboard VGA uses it. My PIII 450 MHz 440BX HP Vectra system is from around 1999 and has an identical sort of setup (built-in graphics uses the AGP interface, only PCI and ISA available on a riser card due to the form factor).

Yes. onbord SiS 8Mb, that's could be useful for office, but to play games need to be one of pci populated with proper graphics card I presume. I have in it similar to yours CPU AMD K6-2 400Mhz

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 6895 of 53137, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (socket 939) board from eBay, along with the components the seller had used with it. It was an as-is not working lot. They said it was working until they heard a pop, reportedly from their power supply, and then the board stopped POSTing. I did some testing of the parts yesterday.

The video card, an XFX AGP 6600GT, works great. I'm surprised how fast the fan runs, but I don't really mind it.

I thought the RAM was a pair of 1GB Kingston HyperX DDR400 CL2 modules, which I was excited to get hold of. Turns out they're 512MB each - their size is labeled based on the "kit" size. I hate when manufacturers do that. I already had a pair of the same 512MB HyperX modules, but mine had been labeled by their individual size, so that fooled me. Minor letdown but they pass memtest so that's good.

I'd really like to use the motherboard, but sadly it doesn't work. Just as reported by the seller, it powers up but no POST. What I found is that the input voltages are intact, but the CPU VRM isn't outputting anything. It's getting 12V in but only sending 0.004V to the CPU. Pretty sure they need electricity to run. I'm hoping I'll be able to figure this out, but I'm afraid it will be beyond me.

CPU is an Athlon64 3500+. I have no idea if it works. I don't have any other Socket-939 boards or CPUs to try swapping with. I'm just relying on my assumption that CPUs rarely die.
It came with a nice heatsink, fan, backplate/bracket assembly which I can use to add a 2nd CPU on my 940 board, if that's ever needed.

Overall it was a decent buy without the motherboard, but if I get lucky with trying to revive the board it will be a lot better.

Reply 6896 of 53137, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Evert wrote:

Are you going to use that in your 440BX build?

This is the plan, yes. Deciding factors are DOS compatibility and noise. Since (I think) its 2D core is identical to the Voodoo3, the first part shouldn't be an issue. These fans though... ugh.

Reply 6897 of 53137, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just swapped my 19inch Viewsonic LCD for a 17inch Viewsonic p75f+ CRT 1600x1200 w/ 75 Hertz refresh is pretty cool! For whatever reason there are not proper 7 drivers for my LCD so some games give an out of range error message on it. Thus the swap

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6898 of 53137, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Point of interest: not counting laptops, I have yet to purchase a non-CRT display device.

Waiting for OLED and 4K to be affordable.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 6899 of 53137, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

Just swapped my 19inch Viewsonic LCD for a 17inch Viewsonic p75f+ CRT 1600x1200 w/ 75 Hertz refresh is pretty cool! For whatever reason there are not proper 7 drivers for my LCD so some games give an out of range error message on it. Thus the swap

Why CRT's are no more produced? I hate LCD's, even the latest ultra super-duper ones. Ever heard of InterView 28hd96 fullHD 1080p CRT from mid-90's? i wish to have one!

5xv2YSm.png