VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 702 of 53172, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't bother with a co-processor on that board unless you have software that actually uses it. Otherwise it's just going to sit there and wear out faster from being powered up and down all the time.

Reply 704 of 53172, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

The CMS upgrade for the SB 2.0?

I've got a programmer and the appropriate GALs in the mail, hoping to have them here soon 😀

Chuck at vintage computer got it working and he knows his stuff - I imagine the only problems one would have would be with the cheap and nasty chip programmers 😀

Reply 705 of 53172, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love the local Salvation Army on some days. This is the 2nd in as many weeks that I found. This one still in the box for $1.

dcp01537.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 706 of 53172, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

LOOK AT THIS HUGE MONITOR!

MZFaw.jpg

OK, so that might just be a tiny laptop mouse. 😉 I nabbed this ProView PRO-458 14" LCD. 1024x768 max res, 4:3.. seems to have a tiny issue with DOS-era low resolutions (certain colors at low res appear "wiggly" for lack of a better term; I'm guessing it's interference in the analog signal being upscaled; I need to try a more shielded VGA cable), but for everything else it's great. I was concerned about ghosting on a 9-year-old LCD, but there doesn't seem to be any. Weird. The built-in speakers are super tinny, but also pretty convenient.

Reply 707 of 53172, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stull wrote:
LOOK AT THIS HUGE MONITOR! […]
Show full quote

LOOK AT THIS HUGE MONITOR!

MZFaw.jpg

OK, so that might just be a tiny laptop mouse. 😉 I nabbed this ProView PRO-458 14" LCD. 1024x768 max res, 4:3.. seems to have a tiny issue with DOS-era low resolutions (certain colors at low res appear "wiggly" for lack of a better term; I'm guessing it's interference in the analog signal being upscaled; I need to try a more shielded VGA cable), but for everything else it's great. I was concerned about ghosting on a 9-year-old LCD, but there doesn't seem to be any. Weird. The built-in speakers are super tinny, but also pretty convenient.

The 'wiggly' colours could be caused by dithering, as many LCDs can only display 6 bit colours.

Reply 709 of 53172, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Just bought a box of old parts locally for $20, not much exciting but there was a POD 83 in it so that alone made the deal worth it.

Nice one! 😁

Any more details about the parts you gotten?
I always find it interesting to know for some reason 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 710 of 53172, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
Nice one! :D […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

Just bought a box of old parts locally for $20, not much exciting but there was a POD 83 in it so that alone made the deal worth it.

Nice one! 😁

Any more details about the parts you gotten?
I always find it interesting to know for some reason 🤣

Just some 30 and 72 pin RAM, a few power cords (one can never have too many of those), a half dozen hard drives of questionable reliability, and 4 mice badly in need of disassembly and cleaning, one of which is a serial port mouse.

Reply 711 of 53172, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This stuff i bought this MONTH 😵

91b8r90wb2kkgrhquokpqey.jpg

80MB IBM SCSI PIN50 harddisk for my XT computer.. (its very quiet harddrive) Only waiting on Terminator, because drive doesnt have one..

46kgrhqjige32wonsbbolph.jpg

NEC T128 SCSI HOST ADAPTOR WITH WORKING ROM. I think this is the best 8-bit card available, because its very easy to setup it.

39kgrhqjjye2heyfnbfbnnk.jpg

First HD 8 bit floppy drive controller for XT computer.. It do A: 1.2MB , B: 1.2MB for now.
Trying a other bios chip and hoping it will do A: 1.44MB, B: 1.2MB.

18kgrhqrhqe1fctgblsbnnk.jpg

Second HD floppycard 8-bit for XT computer. Need to receive it. Its from the same seller i have bought the first one to..
I hope this card will work out of the box.. (And saving the ROMS offcourse)

98kgrhqeokpoe6wtzoikpbo.jpg

12PCS in 1 LOT of Texas Instruments Eproms..

I know why my kouwell floppy cards bios wasnt working..
I needed this kind of eprom on that card. I tried an other bios from the 6610 one and then the rom is working.. So i save the ROM thats included the good rom en write it back on the Texas instruments chip and hoping it will come back to life.. Otherwise trying another ROM image..

And bought 3 boxes of 50 pin SCSI cable (different types) and 34-pins floppy cables..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 712 of 53172, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow...I still can't believe my luck.

I've been looking for this thing for ages. Seen it twice up for sale in the past couple of years. Always at high prices and I even took a shot at bidding on a couple of these, but was always outbid.

Today I bought this thing...the seller said it was the package without the cd drive but the package was unused. Of course I doubted it, especially when he told me his price.

clipboard01gj.jpg
When I got back home, I opened it up, and behold...it's really NIB. Completely unused, everything is still sealed or in the original unopened bag. Absolutely incredible.

And the best part? I only paid 60€ (~80$).

Now I need to get my hands on a compatible drive (or a workaround if there is one).

On the other hand, I don't think I'll dare to use this thing considering the rarity of a completely new unit.

::42::

Reply 713 of 53172, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mystery wrote:
Wow...I still can't believe my luck. […]
Show full quote

Wow...I still can't believe my luck.

I've been looking for this thing for ages. Seen it twice up for sale in the past couple of years. Always at high prices and I even took a shot at bidding on a couple of these, but was always outbid.

Today I bought this thing...the seller said it was the package without the cd drive but the package was unused. Of course I doubted it, especially when he told me his price.

clipboard01gj.jpg
When I got back home, I opened it up, and behold...it's really NIB. Completely unused, everything is still sealed or in the original unopened bag. Absolutely incredible.

And the best part? I only paid 60€ (~80$).

Now I need to get my hands on a compatible drive (or a workaround if there is one).

On the other hand, I don't think I'll dare to use this thing considering the rarity of a completely new unit.

Wow, I never even knew these things existed. I gotta have one. 🤣

Reply 714 of 53172, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good luck!

They do exist, but they're ridiculously rare and usually really expensive (seen them go up to a couple hundred bucks on some occasions). Not many were produced (expensive hardware, for a very specific target audience) and even less were sold (the 3do was pretty much a flop, even though its hardware was really good and only matched by the PS1 which was released years later).

Reply 715 of 53172, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Holy Fucking Shit... A mint 3DO Blaster for 60E... Mystery you're one lucky man, would you be so kind to do a review with perhaps videos and photos and explain how it works? This is very awesome!

Reply 716 of 53172, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still need a few components to get it running.

I've got a computer more or less set up for this (Dos 6.22 with Win3.11) but I don't have a graphics card with a VESA feature connector (yet, it's not hard to get one) and I'm missing a compatible CD drive, which are slightly more difficult to find.

Reply 717 of 53172, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Videocards with VESA feature connector are indeed quite easy to find. I think S3 cards like the Virge have them. Getting a CR-563 is going to be a little bit tougher, I wonder if this one will work: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matsushita-CR-563-B … #ht_1823wt_1297 . It seems to be the same drive, but renamed. You'll also find the drivers here : http://www.cdinteractive.co.uk/3do/forum/view … 77200a2b49c08ff

Reply 718 of 53172, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a NOS CR-563-B that came as part of a "3DO READY" Creative SB16/CD-ROM package, if you're interested. I don't have any plans for it, and have another one besides, so if you want to pay for shipping (from the US), it's yours.

Reply 719 of 53172, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That would be great! I'm highly interested!
I'm not sure how much the shipping is (Europe, Germany), but as long as it's somewhat reasonable. Hopefully we can work something out.