VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 7800 of 53233, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mobile Celeron, that's why. 😀 They actually went all the way down to 1.2 GHz in mobile form. The TDP is "only" 30W, which isn't that different to the PIII laptops of the time (indeed, it's less than the top-end Coppermine PIIIs), which is probably why it is still alive, and why it doesn't get too warm, even without super-aggressive cooling. Interestingly, the mobile chips actually had 256kB of cache, which is probably why it didn't feel all that sluggish.

Reply 7801 of 53233, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh neat, I didn't know they had the extra cache, brings them up to Willamette standards, plus cooler on the Northwood core. I know my old P4 Samsung V25 laptop was an oven, that had a northwood P4, lap was not an option, fireproof table was a better choice! 🤣

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 7802 of 53233, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a free motherboard and bits today, ASUS P5S800 VM/S with a Celeron D341 it's skt 775 but still has AGP and a Skt 478 Heatsink/fan, must be an early one at a guess. also has the dedicated card reader. All works fine, friend has just upgraded board and chip to a new cheap Celeron from ebuyer. Not that exciting, but free is free 😀

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 7803 of 53233, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BSA Starfire wrote:

Oh neat, I didn't know they had the extra cache, brings them up to Willamette standards, plus cooler on the Northwood core. I know my old P4 Samsung V25 laptop was an oven, that had a northwood P4, lap was not an option, fireproof table was a better choice! 🤣

I *think* the earliest mobile Pentium 4s, those badged Pentium 4-M, were generally OK, or at least not that much worse than some of the PIII systems, as they were designed to be mobile chips and their TDPs were really not all that high. However, the "Mobile Pentium 4"s are significantly more power hungry and run a lot hotter - much more like the desktop equivalents - so those gave the P4 laptops the bad rep (well, that and the desktop chips). I know for a fact that I'd much rather use this laptop on my lap than a 1 GHz Coppermine PIII, because those run way hotter.

Here's a video of the old girl powered on.

Reply 7804 of 53233, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More laptop stuff!
$_12.JPG

Untested, cost more than I'd like but I'm confident I can fix anything that is busted. No hard drive; dual floppy. It's a Zenith SuperSPORT but has an unusual feature you may notice, comes with a stack of floppies related to said quirk... The branding does not say Zenith, it has been re-badged with something familiar to anyone from any UK city except mine;
British-Telecom.jpg

Hmm...

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7805 of 53233, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:

However, the "Mobile Pentium 4"s are significantly more power hungry and run a lot hotter - much more like the desktop equivalents

Some actually have TDP higher than their desktop equivalents.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pe … 2890.C2.A0nm.29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pe … ott_.2890_nm.29

I've been researching my new Mobile P4 352 in a kind of giddy disbelief.

Reply 7806 of 53233, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:
Some actually have TDP higher than their desktop equivalents. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pe … 2890.C2.A0nm.29 ht […]
Show full quote
Lukeno94 wrote:

However, the "Mobile Pentium 4"s are significantly more power hungry and run a lot hotter - much more like the desktop equivalents

That's also true, and it was a similar situation with many of the Mobile Pentium III CPUs (those based off the Coppermine core). Not entirely sure why Intel went down that road/how it happened, but there we go. I just played Mobil 1 Rally Championship on the Packard Bell for about ten minutes, without realizing that an anti-virus scan was running (oops, definitely made the game lag), and there was no obvious throttling, the fan didn't go crazy and nothing blew up.

Reply 7807 of 53233, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there was no obvious throttling, the fan didn't go crazy and nothing blew up

Does the fan change at all? This sparked my curiosity since the later 532's datasheet stated "The processor introduces a new methodology for managing processor temperatures through fan speed control." Checking yours, it does seem more simple.

"The thermal monitor controls the processor temperature by modulating (starting and stopping) the
processor core clocks. The processor clocks are modulated when the thermal control circuit (TCC)
is activated. The thermal monitor uses two modes to activate the TCC: Automatic mode and On-
Demand mode. Automatic mode is required for the processor to operate within specifications
and must first be enabled via BIOS. Once automatic mode is enabled, the TCC will activate only
when the internal die temperature is very near the temperature limits of the processor. When TCC
is enabled, and a high temperature situation exists (i.e. TCC is active), the clocks will be modulated
by alternately turning the clocks off and on at a duty cycle specific to the processor (typically
30-50%). An under-designed thermal solution that is not able to prevent excessive activation of the
TCC in the anticipated ambient environment may cause a noticeable performance loss. Cycle times
are processor speed dependent and will decrease linearly as processor core frequencies increase.
Once the temperature has returned to a non-critical level, modulation ceases and TCC goes
inactive."

Reply 7808 of 53233, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:
Some actually have TDP higher than their desktop equivalents. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pe … 2890.C2.A0nm.29 ht […]
Show full quote
Lukeno94 wrote:

WTH?

I cannot even imagine 89 watts on my lap. How is it possibly cooled?
And what was Intel thinking?

Reply 7809 of 53233, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

I cannot even imagine 89 watts on my lap. How is it possibly cooled?
And what was Intel thinking?

Probably trying to release processors that were competitive performance-wise to the AMD top-tier alternatives. Why didn't they just focus on Pentium Ms for that is a mystery, though... they packed quite a punch.

Reply 7810 of 53233, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The fan speed does indeed change, but based on what/at what temperature, I couldn't say... Speedfan can't get anything other than the HDD temp at the moment, and nor can AIDA64 (I blame the SIS chipset). Not certain about throttling, but I've seen desktop Northwoods throttle enormously, not by dropping the clockspeed though.

Some of those P4 systems were cooled reasonably well, but they were desktop replacements, not "lap"tops, and the weight alone would have made them very uncomfortable to use. As for why they released the highly-clocked P4 chips in mobile form; well, Pentium M was expensive (at least initially), lower scale, and couldn't clock anywhere near as high; the top Mobile P4s were quicker in most operations than the top Pentium Ms, I believe. It's also worth noting that the Pentium M platform was very new when the first high TDP Northwood Mobile P4s came out - only a few months old - whilst the Prescott Mobile P4s (which had the daftest TDPs) came out around the same time as Dothan hit. Plus Intel had to get the mileage out of the very expensive Netburst somehow...

Reply 7811 of 53233, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

YEAH!!!!!
I have one Gigabyte GA-5AX heading my way now. It will be shipped friday.
Now I can actually rebuild that elusive/evasive machine, wich have been haunting me since I can't remember when.
That machine is the one, that I had the most fun with of all homemade computers that I have ever owned.
That piece of hardware, is the hardware that I regret selling, most of all the hardware that I have ever had.

Thanks 1.000.000.0000 times to the seller. 😀 😀 😀 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7812 of 53233, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some of those P4 systems were cooled reasonably well, but they were desktop replacements, not "lap"tops, and the weight alone would have made them very uncomfortable to use.

This unit is 8.2lbs, and has a 1.6lb power-brick that you need to carry along because the rated battery life was 1-2 hours....

All quite true about the M. It's under-emphasized that while the hardware largely overlapped in useful lifetime, the M release schedule was about a year behind the P4. Case in point, my awesome little M 1.73ghz is actually a 2005, a year newer than this P4 3.06ghz Sony it beats.

From Hardinfo, [lower is better except for CryptoHash]

M		352	
CPU Blowfish 19.623 32.869
CPU CryptoHash 64.173 39.991
CPU Fibonacci 5.521 6.138
CPU N-Queens 13.379 15.476

Important Exception - the 352 is being throttled to 1.86ghz here. That's not fair, except it is because otherwise the Sony overheats and crashes. That maximum throttle rating is required to hover at 75-76 degrees -- which happens to be the chip's maximum in the datasheet.

Reply 7813 of 53233, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

YEAH!!!!!

Nice!

I've ordered a 1 GHz Slot 1 Pentium IIIs. Always handy to have one. Also a PCIe 6600GT and 9600GT.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7814 of 53233, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:
brostenen wrote:

YEAH!!!!!

Nice!

I've ordered a 1 GHz Slot 1 Pentium IIIs. Always handy to have one. Also a PCIe 6600GT and 9600GT.

Did you find one for a good price? I decided to go with a 900MHz model + slot adapter because they're tough to find at a reasonable cost.

Reply 7815 of 53233, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boxpressed wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:
brostenen wrote:

YEAH!!!!!

Nice!

Did you find one for a good price? I decided to go with a 900MHz model + slot adapter because they're tough to find at a reasonable cost.

$30. The auction was linked in another thread. I've got a slot adapter already and various coppermines, including the top 1.1 GHz 100 FBS chip, but I wouldn't mind having a fast slot 1 that is ready to go. It's NIB, so that's cool.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7816 of 53233, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
philscomputerlab wrote:

That's cool. P3's are great. Hope the GFX's are cheap compared to what you can find elsewere. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7817 of 53233, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:
This unit is 8.2lbs, and has a 1.6lb power-brick that you need to carry along because the rated battery life was 1-2 hours.... […]
Show full quote

Some of those P4 systems were cooled reasonably well, but they were desktop replacements, not "lap"tops, and the weight alone would have made them very uncomfortable to use.

This unit is 8.2lbs, and has a 1.6lb power-brick that you need to carry along because the rated battery life was 1-2 hours....

All quite true about the M. It's under-emphasized that while the hardware largely overlapped in useful lifetime, the M release schedule was about a year behind the P4. Case in point, my awesome little M 1.73ghz is actually a 2005, a year newer than this P4 3.06ghz Sony it beats.

From Hardinfo, [lower is better except for CryptoHash]

M		352	
CPU Blowfish 19.623 32.869
CPU CryptoHash 64.173 39.991
CPU Fibonacci 5.521 6.138
CPU N-Queens 13.379 15.476

Important Exception - the 352 is being throttled to 1.86ghz here. That's not fair, except it is because otherwise the Sony overheats and crashes. That maximum throttle rating is required to hover at 75-76 degrees -- which happens to be the chip's maximum in the datasheet.

Ouch, that's a pretty hefty throttle. By comparison, this Packard Bell is really not that heavy (3kg or so), and I've been using it with my 90W universal charger on a temporary basis, which doesn't technically provide enough current at the 19V rating, but it's close enough for a short-term thing since I'm not absolutely maxing it out. The Vaio is surprisingly lightweight for something like that, to be honest; I'd expect something closer to 10 lbs.

Reply 7818 of 53233, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a Iiyama ProLite B1906S for 25$ - great working order, but it's extremely yellowed. Nothing a little peroxide cream and some sunlight won't fix.

Also got a couple of 5.25" IDE hot swap racks to use in cases that are missing bay covers, a 20GB seagate ATA drive, a Creative Audigy 2 ZS and an SFF HP Vectra VL420 SF. Payed ~14$ for the audigy2 and 12$ for the HP.

IMG_20150603_151822.jpg
IMG_20150603_215041.jpg

The machine is a 1.7GHz Willamette with 512MB of SDRAM and 20GB HDD. I was hoping it would come with a 3.3v AGP slot to use a Voodoo 3 in, but it's 1.5V only. The fact that it uses low profile cards didn't bother me since I have a low-profile voodoo 3 out of a Compaq system (at least I think it's low profile - could have a proprietary height bracket).

Also found a weird Gigabyte GA-7VRXP board for sale online and got it + an Athlon XP 1900+ and a nice big cooler for 12$. It has a couple of swallen caps (3300uf 6.3v) but I have the parts so I'll replace them this weekend.

IMG_20150603_212137.jpg

I found the motherboard is interesting because it sports the VIA KT333 chipset (FSB400, unofficial DDR400 support) + Universal AGP (3.3v and 1.5v). That means I can use a Voodoo 3 or a Voodoo 5 5500 (if I ever get one) in it for some speedy glide action.

It also has a Promise PDC20276 RAID controller, a built-in card-reader (witch is worthless since I don't have the headers it's supposed to come with), built in CREATIVE CT5880 (Sound Blaster PCI128???) audio 😁 and USB 2.0 witch is a little rare on KT266/KT333 chipset boards. Now if I can only source a decently priced Voodoo 5 5500 locally, I can stick my 3200+ in it and finally build my 3DFX dream rig.

Last edited by kanecvr on 2015-06-03, 19:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7819 of 53233, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A friend of mine gave me a box of old assorted computer stuff. It was mostly cables, but there were a few good things in it. An old external Mac modem, an external SCSI Zip drive, and this:

IMG_20150530_191049704.jpg
IMG_20150530_190706723.jpg

I don't have a compatible power adapter though, so I don't know if it works or not.