Topic actions

Reply 80 of 88, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I feel so dizzy, but here we go:

• FX-60 ---> Super rare
  • Opteron 190 ---> Expensive

Let's talk about cost/performance ratio, shall we ? This time I am not striving for the absolute MAX.

What i have:
Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice) 2Ghz - I got these days for 6 bucks (19 reais) / 8800GS / 2Gb of RAM Dual Channel

Possible upgrade:
Opteron 180 2,4Ghz for 55 bucks (180 reais in my currency):
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-811631 … 0-dual-core-_JM
Or the same processor for 46 bucks (162 reais)
https://pt.aliexpress.com/wholesale?spm=2114. … tId=32462341157

This is crazy, just to echo what Phill told us. They are very expensive (Opteron).
I cannot pay up this huge amount of money without knowing the performance gain.

What occurs: I know it is hard to pick up and decide about these things. I'm running
Windows XP 32-bit and some games (Far cry, 3DMark 2006 and Heroes 5). They are
presenting stuttering and animations of magic are lagging ! (Heroes 5 is not well optimized)

I want more performance in this pretty ASUS ... 😈

Possible solutions:
- Any cheap dual core will do the trick
- A native DX9 card to speed things

Reply 81 of 88, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Frasco wrote:
I feel so dizzy, but here we go: […]
Show full quote

I feel so dizzy, but here we go:

• FX-60 ---> Super rare
  • Opteron 190 ---> Expensive

Let's talk about cost/performance ratio, shall we ? This time I am not striving for the absolute MAX.

What i have:
Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice) 2Ghz - I got these days for 6 bucks (19 reais) / 8800GS / 2Gb of RAM Dual Channel

Possible upgrade:
Opteron 180 2,4Ghz for 55 bucks (180 reais in my currency):
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-811631 … 0-dual-core-_JM
Or the same processor for 46 bucks (162 reais)
https://pt.aliexpress.com/wholesale?spm=2114. … tId=32462341157

This is crazy, just to echo what Phill told us. They are very expensive (Opteron).
I cannot pay up this huge amount of money without knowing the performance gain.

What occurs: I know it is hard to pick up and decide about these things. I'm running
Windows XP 32-bit and some games (Far cry, 3DMark 2006 and Heroes 5). They are
presenting stuttering and animations of magic are lagging ! (Heroes 5 is not well optimized)

I want more performance in this pretty ASUS ... 😈

Possible solutions:
- Any cheap dual core will do the trick
- A native DX9 card to speed things

Your chip VS the 180: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Athl … 80/m7063vsm3409

Reply 82 of 88, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I picked an Opteron 170 up for $10 on Ebay at one point. Only bidder oddly enough, upgraded a friend's single core 3200 chip. My advice is to look at the next step down in performance from the top end and be patient for a deal, or get good cooling and OC and 2.0ghz dual core chip.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 83 of 88, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The FX-60 is dual core. Might not be necessary depending on what games you play, Far Cry certainly doesn't need it. And it's also a power hog, you will need a decent cooler.

The FX-57, 55 and 53 are single core.

I found that 939 chips are rarer and more expensive compared to AM2 versions. So it might be cheaper to get an AM2 board with AM2 CPU and a PCIe card.

But if you don't want to do that, just got to search on eBay. For example here is a 2.4 GHz 3800+: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AMD-Athlon-64-3800 … QYAAOSwy4hURoKn

That should be a nice upgrade, and if you are into a bit of overclocking there is more performance to be had.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 84 of 88, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hope this isn't weird but.. is this AMD 939 computer your main / newest computer there, Frasco ? The way you worded your post above it sort of reads like it might be.

Reply 86 of 88, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nah, here I am just displaying my love about motherboards I own.
I developed a strange routine: I usually buy defective stuff and perfect them. They respond to the
treatment and then I get attached to it.

So I guess I overreacted. 🤣

Besides, I am descendant of Portuguese people, so I don't have to tell you the rest. Portuguese people
are economics beasts. 😜

My main rig is an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, i5 3570K and GTX 650Ti Boost.
This Asrock Z77 I bought in the same terms (defective). It reduces the ASUS AN8 SLI to tears.
Really, the difference is as-tro-no-mi-cal.
And I didn't even overclocked (K) and installed drivers correctly; Lucid, Smart Response and other features
are just waiting for me cause I am losing time with old hardware and old OS.

Could I play those games in this modern computer ? Of course I could ! Man! 😠
Give me some hesitation !

Reply 87 of 88, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Frasco wrote:
Nah, here I am just displaying my love about motherboards I own. I developed a strange routine: I usually buy defective stuff an […]
Show full quote

Nah, here I am just displaying my love about motherboards I own.
I developed a strange routine: I usually buy defective stuff and perfect them. They respond to the
treatment and then I get attached to it.

So I guess I overreacted. 🤣

Besides, I am descendant of Portuguese people, so I don't have to tell you the rest. Portuguese people
are economics beasts. 😜

My main rig is an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, i5 3570K and GTX 650Ti Boost.
This Asrock Z77 I bought in the same terms (defective). It reduces the ASUS AN8 SLI to tears.
Really, the difference is as-tro-no-mi-cal.
And I didn't even overclocked (K) and installed drivers correctly; Lucid, Smart Response and other features
are just waiting for me cause I am losing time with old hardware and old OS.

Could I play those games in this modern computer ? Of course I could ! Man! 😠
Give me some hesitation !

I'm the same way. I do have my 4.8 ghz 37770k system and the R9 290X, and some games I could easily run on there. But I kinda like the idea of playing some of em on an older system too, more fun sometimes.

Reply 88 of 88, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC I did pick an Opteron 190 a while ago from ebay (maybe 2 years ago or so), never got around to actually try it as my s939 rig was at the time buried under about 3 feet of other stuff. Now I've moved most of that stuff off, perhaps I should try it at some point. See what difference it makes compared to the 4400+ I had in there by default.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O