VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 8100 of 53196, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Time Computers (British) used to use that case, though with various different front panels, sometimes labelled "Time" and other times as "Colossus". It has one of those weird PSU mounts that is rotated 90 degrees and overlaps the motherboard, doesn't it? I liked those, I modified one to have 80mm fans in the top and mounted a dual Slot 1 mobo years ago.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 8101 of 53196, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

Time Computers (British) used to use that case, though with various different front panels, sometimes labelled "Time" and other times as "Colossus". It has one of those weird PSU mounts that is rotated 90 degrees and overlaps the motherboard, doesn't it? I liked those, I modified one to have 80mm fans in the top and mounted a dual Slot 1 mobo years ago.

indeed the psu is at a 90 degree angle and covers the cpu slot. My psu has a big fan above the cpu. Don't know if it blows or sucks air.

Reply 8102 of 53196, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I seem to remember hearing that the original ATX spec stated that the PSU fan was meant to be mounted there and would cool the CPU... Though I do not remember if it stated which direction the airflow was meant to be in, if it did I am sure the PSU makers didn't listen anyway because I have seen ones which run different ways depending on who built it.

Strange when you think about it, most PSUs made in proceeding years had the fan at the back like the older AT type, but in recent years they have started placing a ~120mm fan at the bottom again.

Reply 8103 of 53196, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AFAIK, the original ATX spec called for a fan blowing air onto the CPU to help it cool. Eventually people realized that blowing hotter air on top of the CPU wasn't that great of an idea (especially as CPUs started needing better cooling and systems started drawing more power), so it got switched back to the old AT-like style of having the PSU as an exaust. I believe having the exaust at the bottom was mostly introduced back to cater for cases where the PSU is mounted at the bottom, so they draw cooler air from the outside and take no part in the case cooling solution.

EDIT: Also, I believe having an exaust at the bottom of a PSU would actually hurt CPU cooling in an old ATX case where the PSU is mounted facing the CPU. In the original specs the PSU would blow air onto the CPU cooler, therefore helping it. An exaust fan would create a low pressure zone, reducing the amount of air the CPU cooler would be able to blow. On newer-style ATX cases with the PSU on top this would likely not be a factor, as the exaust would also help remove hot air coming from the sides of the heatsink.

Reply 8104 of 53196, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ugh, my old P4 tower came with a case like that - except the PSU was solid bottomed, and thus cut off a large amount of the airflow to the CPU fan. Thankfully, 2 GHz Northwoods don't run all that warm, although it definitely made the CPU fan head into the 5k RPM range under load...

Reply 8105 of 53196, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The as-absolutely-inexpensive-as-I-could-get custom build I did in 2002 also used a cheap (Likely NOS) ATX case with the power supply oriented so it "hangs down" in the manner described. It was very annoying because it blocked the air intake to the CPU. This wasn't a major issue when it was loaded with a Duron 1GHz, but once I tried upgrading it to an Athlon XP 2400+, then it began causing serious overheating problems. I must confess though, I failed to recognize this as the cause until after I had already gone overkill with a massive solid copper heatsink with stupid-fast Delta fan and four additional case fans (I was kinda dumb back then). Of course, a larger heatsink only meant the fan was even closer to the PSU housing, which basically meant the fan was trying to pull against a near vacuum. :p

Last edited by torindkflt on 2015-06-26, 04:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8106 of 53196, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For a time I ran an Athlon 64 X2 in a case like that too... It used to hit 65C and upwards regularly, I didn't really care though because the system sucked anyway. Perhaps this case was a factor in the system not working anymore. I still think they were good for Slot 1 boards though, given the fan was also turned 90 degrees.

Reply 8107 of 53196, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up this PCV-W20 which was recently reloaded with a fresh copy of XP, but it crashes for obvious reasons. No worries because I have a bag of Polymers to fix it with. I think I'll opt for a small SSD as well.

Attachments

• 20150430_102441.jpeg
    Filename
    20150430_102441.jpeg
    File size
    198.83 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Back to the shadow from whence you came, faulty electrolyte.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20150430_102344.jpeg
    Filename
    20150430_102344.jpeg
    File size
    156.44 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    PCV-W20
    File license

Reply 8109 of 53196, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is a view inside with the psu blowing air onto the cpu. I could reverse the airflow by flipping the fan in the psu, but i will testrun this system first to see how hot it gets.

20150626_091015.jpg
Filename
20150626_091015.jpg
File size
2.19 MiB
Views
File license

I'm going to add a dual voodoo2 12mb sli setup to it, maybe swapping the vga with a 16mb vanta card, already installed 512mb ram. Going to put in a 20gb hdd. But i have to get a ultra66 controller first.

Attachments

• 20150626_091025.jpg
    Filename
    20150626_091025.jpg
    File size
    2.25 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 8110 of 53196, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this for 20 pounds.

CIgF7zWW8AEScQk.jpg:large

Will be more than enough for my GM gaming, i will certainly pass off on a Roland SC7. I would prefer the MU10 but those have been selling for double the price. It supports XG and i have quite a few XG midis songs that will rock on this. I'm flipping the finger to Roland this time. 🤣

Reply 8111 of 53196, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

Got this for 20 pounds.

[*img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIgF7zWW8AEScQk.jpg:large[*/img]

Will be more than enough for my GM gaming, i will certainly pass off on a Roland SC7. I would prefer the MU10 but those have been selling for double the price. It supports XG and i have quite a few XG midis songs that will rock on this. I'm flipping the finger to Roland this time. 🤣

FFFFUUUU 😜

My YouTube Channel

Reply 8112 of 53196, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Solarstorm wrote:

FFFFUUUU 😜

Ahaha you Roland junkie. If it makes you happy you can donate me a CM-32L. I will gladly take it and not flip the finger to it. 🤣

Reply 8113 of 53196, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:
Solarstorm wrote:

FFFFUUUU 😜

Ahaha you Roland junkie. If it makes you happy you can donate me a CM-32L. I will gladly take it and not flip the finger to it. 🤣

Nuuu! I can't give one away, it's 2 different firmware versions, so completely different CM-32Ls. 😜
But i'm searching for a MU15 for a while now and they're about 80 euro here hence the FFFFUUUU! 😁

My YouTube Channel

Reply 8114 of 53196, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Solarstorm wrote:

Nuuu! I can't give one away, it's 2 different firmware versions, so completely different CM-32Ls. 😜
But i'm searching for a MU15 for a while now and they're about 80 euro here hence the FFFFUUUU! 😁

Naaahh you can EEPROM your CM-32L and it's better to use 1.02 anyways... If you want we can trade the MU15 for a CM-32L. 😎 🤣

Reply 8115 of 53196, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:
Solarstorm wrote:

Naaahh you can EEPROM your CM-32L and it's better to use 1.02 anyways... If you want we can trade the MU15 for a CM-32L. 😎 🤣

I know, i made a video about it. 😜
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O83qd4JcVNQ

My YouTube Channel

Reply 8117 of 53196, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

^ Cool but why to use those old EPROM's? Much more of a pain to erase in my opinion.

Because cheap and available.^^

My YouTube Channel

Reply 8118 of 53196, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

Got this for 20 pounds.

Nice find! Do you plan to use the sequencer function too? Wonder if it's any good. I tried the MT-100 sequencer once, but that doesn't have anything more to offer than a tape recorder.

Reply 8119 of 53196, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

Nice find! Do you plan to use the sequencer function too? Wonder if it's any good. I tried the MT-100 sequencer once, but that doesn't have anything more to offer than a tape recorder.

I'll probably play guitar over it. I love to solo over backing music.