VOGONS

First post, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hoping for some helpful idea(s) on this problem. I have a Soyo 7VMA-B that was destined for scrap with bad capacitors. I replaced all of the capacitors that were visibly failing and, happily, the board seemed to work just fine. But as time has gone on, I've discovered a strange problem: with more than a certain amount of RAM installed it generates memory errors in Memtest86. Memory sticks that will test fine alone will have errors at the end of test 5 when combined together. This has persisted with different power supplies, CPUs, and every stick of PC133 I have. It will pass with a pair memory sticks so long as the total memory is 384 Megabytes, but add one more and the errors come back. I have a single 512 that will pass alone, but add a 128 stick that passed the test alone and it will fail.

Looking at the PC health in the CMOS settings: 2.5 is 2.54, 3.3 is 3.31, five volt is 5.17 and 12 volt reads 12.42.

I know that capacitors can look fine and still fail, so I replaced ten Teapo 6.3 volt 1000 microfarad caps yesterday which I had previously left alone because they looked fine, but no change. There are still the five 6.3 volt 1500 Microfarad caps near the CPU socket that haven't been replaced, but it seems like a stretch to blame those for this issue.

If I leave just the one 512 stick of memory installed, I can install Windows 2000 or 98 and it will function perfectly. For all I know this is an issue that the motherboard had even before the caps began to fail.

I've had numerous posts on this board before, but to be clear, this photo is from before it was recapped. I've added a more recent photo.

Attachments

Last edited by Repo Man11 on 2024-04-17, 23:05. Edited 3 times in total.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 1 of 15, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My general rule of thumb is that if the board POSTs but is known to use garbage/ low quality caps, an complete recap is worth the effort. Especially as I see one bulger among those 1500s.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 15, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think its gonna be an issue with the chipsets, although not sure which one. You could also check for any broken/missing components. Seems like theres also some caps bulging near the gameport.

Last edited by kotel on 2024-04-17, 17:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FYI, TheRetroWeb still has no photo of this board. https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/soyo-sy-7vma-b

Deksor wrote:

Oh BTW, you might want to indicate which caps you already replaced. Looking at that photo there still seem to be some that should be replaced and likely those parallel to it as well.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 15, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2024-04-17, 17:32:

FYI, TheRetroWeb still has no photo of this board. https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/soyo-sy-7vma-b

Deksor wrote:

Oh BTW, you might want to indicate which caps you already replaced. Looking at that photo there still seem to be some that should be replaced and likely those parallel to it as well.

Okay, I'll take a better photo and submit it to them.

There are the five 6.3 1500 caps near the socket that are original, four 16 volt 470s (all Teapo), and then the tiny caps - I've never gone so far as to replace the tiny capacitors on any motherboard so far. There were actually eleven of the 6.3 volt 1000 caps but one was physically damaged, so I replaced it when I replaced the 6.3 volt 2200 caps by the socket months ago.

Reply 6 of 15, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why I suspect it is a power issue: while it works fine with 512 megabytes, that's only if a single 512 is installed - if I install a pair of 256 DIMMs (both of which passed alone) it will fail at the end of test five. I'm assuming that a pair of DIMMs draws more power than a single of the same capacity, but I could be wrong.

Reply 7 of 15, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably no the same thing, but I had a problem that drove me mad trying to track down, with sticks working fine on their own, but not together. Changed caps, rejigged the RAM power supply voltage to bypass the FET that switched between normal and standby, changed power supplies, carried on like this for hours. Errors appeared to be mostly random addresses, and only on the slow memtest tests (mod20 I think) but exactly which bit was always clustered in the same area. Turned out to be bad airflow and one chip overheating. Put 4 sticks in, pointed a case fan at them, left it for 24 hours and no errors.

Reply 8 of 15, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont think old boards like that are effected but I had a socket 1366 system that got/gets memory errors using mixed manufacturers memory of same spec. Since its triple channel if I put 3 matched sticks from one vendor in it and 3 matched sticks from another vendor in the other 3 slots - all the exact same specs timings and everything I get errors in memcheck.

If I test the 3 sticks from one manufacturer alone they check fine, do the same thing with the other they are fine but combined they error and its not the motherboard mem slots. I later bought a set of 6 sticks of match memory from one manufacturer and it works perfect. It just didnt like mixed manufacturers even if the sticks were all the same spec.

I never had that problem on older motherboards but thought I would mention it.

Reply 9 of 15, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried downclocking the memory from 133 MHz to 100 and et voila 768 megabytes with no Memtest errors! But I still want to run it at 133 (this is all PC133)...

Reply 10 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had some 47 and 100uF caps go nasty on one board a while back, think it was a Shuttle though.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 11 of 15, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-18, 03:58:

I had some 47 and 100uF caps go nasty on one board a while back, think it was a Shuttle though.

What was the symptom that caused you to decide that they were at fault?

Reply 12 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't actually get as far as memtest, I recapped the main caps then the board got going, but it was 50/50 it got to a dos prompt, freezing in a random place after "Starting MSDOS" message, backed off some memory timing in CMOS and it got to prompt reliably, then it was crashing out of doom timedemo with either early termination or lockup... and the timings were as slack as they got, so examined board super carefully again and there were just hints of bulge and a very tiny brown speck on two of the smaller caps, but after I pulled them all, only 2 out of 12 still seemed functional on the component tester. .... After fresh ones went in, RAM timings could be set to something reasonable, got to prompt, ran Doom correctly, ran quake, and passed memtest.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 13 of 15, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have replacements for the nine remaining Teapo caps on the way, but I don't feel at all confident that replacing them is going to solve this issue.

Reply 15 of 15, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-04-18, 19:21:

Quickest diagnosis is with scope on all voltage rails.

Sadly, I do not have one. My electronics repair experience seems to be quite limited in comparison to some of the members of this forums that's for sure.