VOGONS

First post, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I got wondering, did anyone use backplates for socket 478? If yes, did they stop the warping from cooler, or at least slow it down? And will it work on already warped boards? I found one on ali here: https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/10050027182247 … 7Cquery_from%3A
Is it gonna last, or break right after i put it on?

Socket 478 totally sucks.

Reply 1 of 2, by nhattu1986

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

from my experience with the plastic backplate for the AM2/940 board, even the steel backplate get bend after years of use, those plastic backplate will not help the board much if you are using the stock pentium 4 cooler.
you had better result by reduce the force on the motherboard by grinding the arm, or pre-bend the steel clip.

Reply 2 of 2, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nhattu1986 wrote on 2024-04-20, 12:35:

from my experience with the plastic backplate for the AM2/940 board, even the steel backplate get bend after years of use, those plastic backplate will not help the board much if you are using the stock pentium 4 cooler.
you had better result by reduce the force on the motherboard by grinding the arm, or pre-bend the steel clip.

100% agree.

Problem with most stock Pentium 4 coolers is that they are made to keep pressure on the cooler by relying on on the motherboard's PCB to flex / bend by design... which is a really poor design decision, IMO. And this is not unique to s478. FWIW, stock pushpin coolers for LGA775 are even worse. On the AMD side, socket 754, 939, and AM2/3 stock coolers can sometimes also be equally bad.

In regards to stock s478 coolers, you'd have to examine yours to see what kind of mounting mechanism it uses. If the cooler has the plastic latches on each side with a "lobe" on each, then the above mentioned backplate will achieve absolutely nothing. There's nothing that can be done to properly fix these types of coolers. However, you can do as nhattu1986 suggested, and grind away some of the plastic on the lobes to make the cooler flex the PCB less when it's installed.

As for stock AMD 754/939/AM2/3 ones, I find those are easier to deal with, as I usually just loosen the holding bolts a little. If they are too short, I replace them. This also often allows me to install a spacer behind the bracket so that the return force from the cooler is distributed right directly under the CPU, thus removing stress on the CPU socket BGA.

And for LGA775, I just avoid pushpin coolers - plain and simple as that. The few good (full height) ones I saved are modified with a custom flexible backplate and I remove the pushpins and replace them with screws.