VOGONS

First post, by sydres

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On an impulse I bought the above motherboard with what appeared to be a standard ATX connector. After thinking about it I remembered that Dell liked to do weird things with proprietary PSUs, so now I'm questioning whether my purchase was a mistake. Is anyone familiar with this particular motherboard? My searching has come up mostly empty, and haven't even been able to find the original documentation.
If it is a Dell PSU abomination I seem to recall there being adapters for these, since I have 4 or 5 ATX PSUs available I'm quite able to modify one for the situation if necessary!

Reply 1 of 5, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sydres wrote on 2024-04-22, 12:06:

On an impulse I bought the above motherboard with what appeared to be a standard ATX connector. After thinking about it I remembered that Dell liked to do weird things with proprietary PSUs, so now I'm questioning whether my purchase was a mistake. Is anyone familiar with this particular motherboard? My searching has come up mostly empty, and haven't even been able to find the original documentation.
If it is a Dell PSU abomination I seem to recall there being adapters for these, since I have 4 or 5 ATX PSUs available I'm quite able to modify one for the situation if necessary!

Previous versions of this board used the old-style AT P8/P9 connector rather than ATX, and from the available pics it looks as if Dell just swapped one style for the other but you're right, Dell do love their own funky wiring layouts (hopefully not on this one though) so it may be prudent to check for standard ATX wiring with a multimeter just in case.

Dell P75T PWR Con.jpg
Filename
Dell P75T PWR Con.jpg
File size
134.49 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

On a side note, if planning on using the onboard video, did you get the VGA breakout card?

Dell P75T VGA Port.jpg
Filename
Dell P75T VGA Port.jpg
File size
51.03 KiB
Views
File license

If you're looking for more info on the board, its on The Retro Web here - https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/dell-d … -p___t-minitowe - they don't list any BIOS updates but I've attached the latest one anyway should you get the board booting.

Filename
DIMPXXT5.EXE
File size
145.35 KiB
Downloads
2 downloads
File license

Reply 2 of 5, by sydres

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks I did find that website and as far as I can tell no I didn't get the breakout but I plan to use a PCI card anyway. I'm not sure how I would use multimeter to plot out ATX wiring without a PSU, other than tracing continuity from feeds to known component values, but while I'm handy with electronics I'm not sure I trust myself. I guess I will know more when it arrives.
It would be fantastic if it turns out to be regular ATX otherwise I will probably be dropping a lot more money on a Dell PSU than I'd like. Oh well.
Thanks for the bios update I really appreciate the help!
If nothing else it came with ram and a coast module

Reply 3 of 5, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sydres wrote on 2024-04-23, 06:20:
Thanks I did find that website and as far as I can tell no I didn't get the breakout but I plan to use a PCI card anyway. I'm no […]
Show full quote

Thanks I did find that website and as far as I can tell no I didn't get the breakout but I plan to use a PCI card anyway. I'm not sure how I would use multimeter to plot out ATX wiring without a PSU, other than tracing continuity from feeds to known component values, but while I'm handy with electronics I'm not sure I trust myself. I guess I will know more when it arrives.
It would be fantastic if it turns out to be regular ATX otherwise I will probably be dropping a lot more money on a Dell PSU than I'd like. Oh well.
Thanks for the bios update I really appreciate the help!
If nothing else it came with ram and a coast module

Another thing maybe worth noting is that both versions seem to supply / use a soft power connector (the small 2 pin white or red one in the middle of each pic - this might be an additional direct cable connection from the PSU)

Reply 4 of 5, by sydres

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With the board in hand it appears that Dell had the manufacturer install an ATX header which directly routed to AT style power. I'm thinking I might be able to remove the ATX header and replace it with AT style header

IMG_20240425_091647611_HDR.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240425_091647611_HDR.jpg
File size
888.02 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_20240425_091639516_HDR.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240425_091639516_HDR.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 5 of 5, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The version I have is just an Intel Atlantis without onboard sound. If you ID the correct board from the PBA # you flash a better MR-BIOS on it to support 128GB drives and faster memory timings.