VOGONS

First post, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reorganizing part of my stock I came across this card that I had completely forgotten about.

MM_TOP.jpg
Filename
MM_TOP.jpg
File size
870.48 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
MM_BOT.jpg
Filename
MM_BOT.jpg
File size
764.75 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Apparently the card was manufactured in March 1994. It is using a Crystal Semiconductor CS4248 audio codec, probably a OPTi 82C928 (aka MAD16) controller and a true Yamaha YMF262 (aka OPL3).
I have looked everywhere I could think of but found nothing about this card.
Also if anyone knows anything about this card, any information is welcome. Here is what I'm looking for :

• The commercial name. (if one exists as it can be only OEM)
  • The model name. (except a PCB ref HL2-VO and dates there is nothing)
  • The confirmation the controller chip is a OPTi 82C928. (I don't want to remove the sticker)
  • The purpose of the second 26-pin connector (14 on the right), J2 (13) being the wave table header.
  • The purpose of the jumper J1, on top of J2.
  • The purpose of the connector J3. (4-pin bellow controller chip)

Thank you for your help.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 1 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking at the location of J3, I'm guessing it's PC Speaker Out. The two wavetable headers (or something that looks a lot like it) are very unusual, I'm willing to wager that J1 is related to the function of the second header.

As for confirmation that it's an OPTi 928 / MAD16... try and run the initializer software for MAD16 and see if it registers.

Reply 2 of 5, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2024-04-23, 12:27:

As for confirmation that it's an OPTi 928 / MAD16... try and run the initializer software for MAD16 and see if it registers.

Thanks! I'll try to see it this weekend.

The two wavetable headers (or something that looks a lot like it) are very unusual, I'm willing to wager that J1 is related to the function of the second header.

I'm pretty sure this is not a secondary wave table header because the grounds are not where they should be. And I think if it was a secondary wave table header they should be serialized with pin 1 connected to pin 1 and so on. That's not the case. So I think it is some sort of I/O connector digital or analog with not all pins connected to something. And indeed J1 can be a pass through of some sort to "configure" J2 but how? Big, flappy, messy mystery...

Looking at the location of J3, I'm guessing it's PC Speaker Out.

That's interesting! I've never seen something like this. Speaker In is common, but Speaker Out for internal speaker, despite being a good idea seems uncommon. If correct, that would be the first sound card I have to do that 😁

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 3 of 5, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I have a slightly older version of that card:

IMG_20240423_195320.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240423_195320.jpg
File size
251.25 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20240423_195332.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240423_195332.jpg
File size
204.74 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It says "MediaMagic ISP-16" on the PCB and indeed has a MAD16 (manufactured by Mediachips???). It also seems to have jumpers for configuration so I'm not sure that it actually the same card as yours.
I kept the contents of the driver disk.

Attachments

• Filename
    Mm0042b.zip
    File size
    1.24 MiB
    Downloads
    3 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 5, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Datadrainer wrote on 2024-04-23, 14:02:
Thanks! I'll try to see it this weekend. […]
Show full quote

Thanks! I'll try to see it this weekend.

The two wavetable headers (or something that looks a lot like it) are very unusual, I'm willing to wager that J1 is related to the function of the second header.

I'm pretty sure this is not a secondary wave table header because the grounds are not where they should be. And I think if it was a secondary wave table header they should be serialized with pin 1 connected to pin 1 and so on. That's not the case. So I think it is some sort of I/O connector digital or analog with not all pins connected to something. And indeed J1 can be a pass through of some sort to "configure" J2 but how? Big, flappy, messy mystery...

Looking at the location of J3, I'm guessing it's PC Speaker Out.

That's interesting! I've never seen something like this. Speaker In is common, but Speaker Out for internal speaker, despite being a good idea seems uncommon. If correct, that would be the first sound card I have to do that 😁

The "Media Magic" brand seems to have been associated with IPC Technologies Inc (source: PC Mag)...

"(Austin Computer Systems, Austin, TX) A PC manufacturer founded in 1985 by Robert Diwan that sold a full line of PCs via direct marketing and through the dealer channel. In 1993, it was acquired by IPC (Integrated Processors & Communications), a Singapore PC manufacturer founded in 1985 by Patrick and Benjamin Ngiam. In 1997, it went out of business. "

See Driver for MediaMagic Telemetry-32 OPTi 82C950

Reply 5 of 5, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pyrogx wrote on 2024-04-23, 18:02:

I kept the contents of the driver disk.

Thanks! During my search I found this card, but having clear nice picture confirm they seems very similar indeed. My opinion is mine has to be a OEM variant of the ISP-16. But for what brand?

@pyrogx, thank you for the original Win3x/DOS driver. I'll try that this we and report my discovery.
@PC Hoarder Patrol, thank you for the info. I don't think the Telemetry driver can apply as it is an OPTi based card but anyway thank you for the link to that interesting topic as it has many useful knowledge.