VOGONS

First post, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried out some cheap SATA to IDE adapters with 12gb SSD disks . The speed improvement was huge . Both in install and run of windows 98 . But I had several issues during install with some motherboards. Install on a socket 370 Pentium 3 was flawlessly without problems . In a Pentium 4 motheboard was also without issues . I another one specific a GA-8SMML stucks on install after first reboot , the same with Matsonic MS9107C+ V3.2 a motherboard that supports AGP 3.3v . Both of these complete installations using old mechanic HDD's . However I used already installed ssd's with win98 (installations from the Pentium 3 motherbord) and they worked fine . So to summarize the problem focus on installation of win98 on ssd on some motherboards . Had anyone this problem or know what it causes it ?

Pentium III 1ghz Coppermine 750mb SBLive! Voodoo 3 3000 AGP

Reply 1 of 2, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you re-partition the drives when moving them between motherboards? I've seen some BIOSs detect different addressing methods (CHS, LBA, LRG) and so sometimes partitioning doesn't work right unless it is recreated. Or perhaps if the BIOS will let you force LBA and you can keep that the same on every board.

Otherwise, the overall compatibility of the SATA PATA adapters vary across boards too.

In the modded XBox world, Startech's SATA PATA adapter is the most revered for compatibility.

Reply 2 of 2, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you re-partition the drives when moving them between motherboards? I've seen some BIOSs detect different addressing methods (CHS, LBA, LRG) and so sometimes partitioning doesn't work right unless it is recreated. Or perhaps if the BIOS will let you force LBA and you can keep that the same on every board.

No I used a disk already win 98 made from the pentium 3 mobo . Only continued installing the specific drivers for any of the other motherboards . In any case on all systems the ssd was recocgnized in the bios and start win 98 installation . The problem starts after first reboot the disk not recognized as bootable and stucks . One detail to mention is that I already formated the ssd in a modern machine as FAT32 .

Pentium III 1ghz Coppermine 750mb SBLive! Voodoo 3 3000 AGP