VOGONS

First post, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have to rebuild my first Voodoo 3 system because I hav lost the mainboard for my first system. This time I want to give the Slot A some love.

I have already purchased a Gigabyte GA-7IXE motherboard. I already have some other components in my position. I will re use the V3 graphics cards the 256 mb of ram and the audigy zs sound card from my first system.

I am now shopping for the athlon cpu. I will get either get a 700 or 800mhz cpu. Was not able to locate a 1 ghz athlon as of now. So the 1 ghz model is out the question.

Now to me question. is there a reason to lock specifically for a second generation athlon (thunderbird) or would I be well served with the first athlons with the pluto core.

So far I have only found athlons with a Pluto core at a good price and I want to pull trigger to get one as soon as possible. I know just want to ask in case if there is reason (performance wise) to look for a thunderbird or not?

Last edited by predator_085 on 2024-04-25, 15:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it to be honest. You'll have seen my benchmark results in the other thread comparing a Pluto 700MHz chip against a Thunderbird 700MHz chip in 3DMark (with a Voodoo3 3000), and while the Thunderbird is faster as I would expect, it's not a huge jump.

If I recall, the Pluto has twice the amount of L2 cache as the Thunderbird but it's not on the die, and runs at a slower speed. The Thunderbird has on-die L2 cache, but only half as much of it. But because it runs at full speed it tends to mean the processor does better in some tasks.

I'd buy the best you can find today and not worry too much about it 😀

Reply 3 of 17, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shadzilla wrote on 2024-04-25, 07:40:

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it to be honest. You'll have seen my benchmark results in the other thread comparing a Pluto 700MHz chip against a Thunderbird 700MHz chip in 3DMark (with a Voodoo3 3000), and while the Thunderbird is faster as I would expect, it's not a huge jump.

If I recall, the Pluto has twice the amount of L2 cache as the Thunderbird but it's not on the die, and runs at a slower speed. The Thunderbird has on-die L2 cache, but only half as much of it. But because it runs at full speed it tends to mean the processor does better in some tasks.

I'd buy the best you can find today and not worry too much about it 😀

Yes I have seen your benmarks in the other thread. The difference was not big enough to go the extra miles for finding a early thunderbird. the Pluto Athlons are available at a good price . So they are the most logic choice to be honest. I just wanted to make sure if it might be worth the extra mile trying to find a early Thunderbird.

Good to to know that my initial gut feeling was right.

@The Serpent Rider Thx as well for the information.

Reply 4 of 17, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Voodoo 3 stops scaling well except in fringe cases like Deus Ex (in which you can benefit from going up to a 2GHz AthlonXP) beyond Athlon/Pentium III 800 so if you get something in that ballpark you will not experience any bottlenecks.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 17, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2024-04-25, 11:07:

Voodoo 3 stops scaling well except in fringe cases like Deus Ex (in which you can benefit from going up to a 2GHz AthlonXP) beyond Athlon/Pentium III 800 so if you get something in that ballpark you will not experience any bottlenecks.

Thanks for the info. Then the K7700MTR51B I have just ordered should suit me very well then.

Deus Ex is indeed a very demanding game. it was not running well on my first version of the V3 System with Pentium 3 800mhz despite my system being beyond the recommended System specs. I wonder how well it will run on the Slot A....

Reply 6 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd say, aim to pick up a 1200 / 1266 with 133/266 FSB .. it's away from the expensive hotspots like 1.4Ghz fastest or magic 1Ghz.... will be 9x or 9.5x then you can run it at 900/950 and most boards are quite comfortable at 115 if you want the Ghz. Then you know the CPU okay is to shoot the moon at 124 to 133+ if you can tune your board to do it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 17, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-25, 14:45:

I'd say, aim to pick up a 1200 / 1266 with 133/266 FSB .. it's away from the expensive hotspots like 1.4Ghz fastest or magic 1Ghz.... will be 9x or 9.5x then you can run it at 900/950 and most boards are quite comfortable at 115 if you want the Ghz. Then you know the CPU okay is to shoot the moon at 124 to 133+ if you can tune your board to do it.

Unfortunately none of that will work in the Slot A board the OP has purchased (the mention of Socket A in the first post is a mistake).

Reply 8 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gah, yah anything to go in a slot is nasty spendy, the 600s were hailed as the overclockers though if you wanna multi clock them to something decent.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 17, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes my bad for the typo. I have corrected it it already. @Shadzilla Thanks for mentioning it. @BitWrangler Thanks for your recommendations . Not viable unfortunately due my typo.

I have not researed about the possibility to overclock the Pluto Athlons but I will read into it. Maybe worth a try. I have been active into overclocking as of now but it is a topic I want to learn more about in the future.

Reply 10 of 17, by goofyahhuncle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Snagging a first-gen Athlon with the Pluto core sounds like a solid plan, especially if they're easier to find and at a good price. While second-gen Athlons (Thunderbirds) might offer a tad more oomph, the difference might not be huge for your retro gaming rig

Reply 11 of 17, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are Thunderbirds 1400's (A1400AMS3C) pretty expensive these days?

Reply 12 of 17, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zuldan wrote on 2024-04-26, 06:39:

Are Thunderbirds 1400's (A1400AMS3C) pretty expensive these days?

Nope, the 266 FSB models are pretty cheap, one up right now for 20USD with crazy cheap shipping, its the Thunderbird 1400 A1400AMS3B 100 FSB model thats expensive and kinda hard to find.

Reply 13 of 17, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-26, 06:44:

Nope, the 266 FSB models are pretty cheap, one up right now for 20USD with crazy cheap shipping, its the Thunderbird 1400 A1400AMS3B 100 FSB model thats expensive and kinda hard to find.

Interesting. Why is that version desired?

Reply 14 of 17, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zuldan wrote on 2024-04-26, 07:01:

Its rarity is more due to very few were made before AMD switched to 133/266 FSB than people wanting them over the faster FSB ones.

Reply 15 of 17, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
goofyahhuncle wrote on 2024-04-26, 06:22:

Snagging a first-gen Athlon with the Pluto core sounds like a solid plan, especially if they're easier to find and at a good price. While second-gen Athlons (Thunderbirds) might offer a tad more oomph, the difference might not be huge for your retro gaming rig

Thanks for your reply. I am not against to idea to get as much power as possible. But everything has price. The 700mhz Athlon I have ordered offered the best bang for buck so to speak. I have read that 700mhz athlon should be very good partner for a Voodoo 3 and I do not want to pay a Premium when it is uncertain if the power difference is really noticiable for the games i wanted to play.

I am rather certain that I will be very happy with my choice.

My retro budget is also limited and I have decided not to re use the audigy card from my first v3 build but go for Aureal Vortex card instead. From a historical point view Aureal Vortex and V3 should be really good game. I also want to have a ad3d card in my collection.

Nothing wrong with EAX and the audigy card. though. The audigy is going to be re used in my upcoming p4 system.

Reply 16 of 17, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-26, 07:07:
zuldan wrote on 2024-04-26, 07:01:

Its rarity is more due to very few were made before AMD switched to 133/266 FSB than people wanting them over the faster FSB ones.

Ok thanks. I thought I may have been missing out on something.

Reply 17 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keep in mind that all high-end Thunderbirds have unlocked multipliers. So your limitations in only motherboard mutlipliers.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.