VOGONS

First post, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My PS/2 to USB keyboard and mouse converter seems to have stopped working.

My motherboard has a USB 1.x header, but is there a driver to use those USB inputs in DOS?

Reply 2 of 6, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2024-04-28, 21:43:

Seems my motherboard and add-in card are incompatible with Bret's solution.

And I have no experience compiling programs, I'm having trouble following the instructions for USBDDOS. Perhaps somebody can assist me?

Reply 3 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What motherboard ? some have Legacy USB support for keyboard in the bios.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 6, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2024-04-29, 02:43:

What motherboard ? some have Legacy USB support for keyboard in the bios.....

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/asus-p5s-b

Reply 5 of 6, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lylat1an wrote on 2024-04-28, 22:53:

And I have no experience compiling programs, I'm having trouble following the instructions for USBDDOS. Perhaps somebody can assist me?

usbddos locks up my kt133a system on execution. crazii said he would help me diagnose, but he hasn't gotten around to it yet.

bret johnson's driver works without issue on my onboard uhci controller, but like you i'm looking for a solution for ohci or ehci add-in cards which are incompatible.

in other words, right now i'm stuck like you.

Reply 6 of 6, by vajskids

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Lylat1an wrote on 2024-04-28, 22:53:
stanwebber wrote on 2024-04-28, 21:43:

Easy, your mainboard has a PS2 port. Get a PS2 to USB adapter. I grabbed one today after a quick look at this old single core laptops inputs but it is not PS2. Same circumference, has a picture of a phone on it. I've never seen it until now. Looks like a sega saturn AV out or something!

Second to this, you don't need to compile it. Click on releases. Move that file somewhere and just run it 'usbddos /HID'

I tried the latest release and went back to V1 to be certain. It works partially then causes an error and locks up.

The other drive by Brett works perfectly. The predicament I am in? I've set this old single core laptop that was given to me as a straight (free)DOS/ XtreeGold retro gaming PC. XTG is just for applications menu so my Son has a GUI and can just highlight a game and press enter once I make all the entries. It's WINXP era, 512MB RAM.

The issue? The built in keyboard has several keys that don't work. Page up, +/=, Left, Right.

It's just not good for DOS games, you can't be expected to remap every single games keys. You may not even get a key remap in option in every game. My laptop has built in USB legacy support, but when playing Doom2 (the only game I've installed out of ~3000 large DOS game collection) it's all silly and you can't navigate properly. It's either laggy, or it over shoots ...so it takes your left input for example and swings your character 45 degrees to the left instead of a touch. It make's it impossible to play properly. I was right in my assumption about legacy drivers as running Bretts USBUHCMI followed by USBKEYB (or adding it to FDAUTOEXEC for drivers at launch) and we are all sweet. Only issue, it doesn't work the developer of USBDDOS's other project. SBEMU.

I think we are nearly there, but he seems busy and this is probably just something he does here and there.

Basically, I can get perfect USB keyboard support and no sound (other than bleeps n boops)
Or I can get full sound and can't play the game properly. I haven't even bothered installing any other games yet.

Edit: i've also installed HWINFO 6.2.3 to check DMA channels and IRQ's in use. It's not a conflict with these. I tried all combinations, SBEMU just doesn't like running with Bretts USB driver. As for USBDDOS driver, I have lodged an issue on github.