VOGONS

First post, by Atr3ju

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, i writing from translator.

I currently have a motherboard that has AGPx4 but correctly recognizes in DOS my sound card through which I have this board for DOS as well as for Windows XP.
But... i want a motherboard that has AGPx8 and so will recognize my sound card in DOS

The board has a chipset Northbridge : VIA KT600 & Southbridge : VIA VT8237
KUpNzmX.jpeg

Will this chipset recognize my sound card correctly in DOS?

Motherboard looks like that.

17zsx64.jpeg

Reply 1 of 6, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

KT600 and KT880 are supporting DOS better than nForce series of the era. They 're many boards with the specified chipsets.
Yes it will.

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 3 of 6, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Almost, the 7VT600s I've had were in funny configurations:

- KZG for CPU filtering, OST for everything else 1000 and under
- Rubycon MBZ filtering and OST for everything else

The only differences between the two above were that the KZG capped board had the missing USB ports inbetween the PS/2 and LPT/COM ports, while the Rubycon one was the same as the one pictures (except blue K-vent caps instead of the green ones pictured.)

As for ASUS, hell no. I had a A7V600-X and the cap choices were just as bad - KZG in VRM, OST on the rest of the board.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 4 of 6, by Atr3ju

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MikeSG wrote on 2024-05-07, 07:08:

If you get a Gigabyte (Taiwan) motherboard from this period be prepared to replace all the capacitors.

I got the motherboard, mounted it in the computer case, ran 3DMark2001 and the FarCry game. The computer ran for barely an hour and look how the capacitors blew out.

vuVVr2l.jpeg

eJScprP.jpeg

QhFzkz8.jpeg

I confirm that the motherboard recognizes the sound card correctly in DOS and I have all the sounds with CDDA music.

Reply 5 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had an FX5500 AGP video card with bulged caps. Being an FX5500 I didn't care about it too much, but I did want to fix it. I bought some cheap capacitors from a seller on Amazon, recapped it, then stress tested it. I looked at the card the next day and a couple of the new capacitors were bulging! New old stock from 2001 I suppose.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 6 of 6, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Those Nichicon HM series caps were failure-prone, even though Nichicon is considered one of the better brands.

Repo Man11 wrote on 2024-05-10, 13:23:

I had an FX5500 AGP video card with bulged caps. Being an FX5500 I didn't care about it too much, but I did want to fix it. I bought some cheap capacitors from a seller on Amazon, recapped it, then stress tested it. I looked at the card the next day and a couple of the new capacitors were bulging! New old stock from 2001 I suppose.

Amazon caps are either counterfeit (there was once a huge number of "Nichicon" caps with green labels and gold text, even though Nichicon never used that color scheme) or incredibly low quality, like those Chongx caps that explode violently if you get anywhere near their rated voltage. It would be incredible if you got NOS caps, but as long as they aren't a known problematic series (like the Nichicon caps I mentioned or the KZG caps that PcBytes mentioned), you might be able to reform them and use them anyway.