VOGONS

First post, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed a new-to-me video card today, and it seems to have ended my motherboard's ability to output video:

Neither it nor any other cards are working in that motherboard anymore.

The damaged area seems to be behind a RAM chip. Please see attached photo.

Attachments

Last edited by Lylat1an on 2024-05-11, 05:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What am I supposed to be seeing on this photo? other than maybe a chipped resistor/capacitor?

One way bad card can blow AGP is by shorting 3.3V and frying a track between AGP and ATX connector

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 4, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-05-11, 05:00:

What am I supposed to be seeing on this photo? other than maybe a chipped resistor/capacitor?

One way bad card can blow AGP is by shorting 3.3V and frying a track between AGP and ATX connector

Photo edited.

Looks like the RAM chip's solder joints got crushed and smeared to me.

Reply 3 of 4, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After I powered on my Shuttle mainboard with an shorted gpu, it just fried 1 path, which seemed like it was going to the CNR slot. Repaired it and had some weird issues like it wasn't detecting any drives. After a while it just fixed itself.

Socket 478 totally sucks.

Reply 4 of 4, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lylat1an wrote on 2024-05-11, 04:57:

I installed a new-to-me video card today, and it seems to have ended my motherboard's ability to output video:

Neither it nor any other cards are working in that motherboard anymore.

The damaged area seems to be behind a RAM chip. Please see attached photo.

You should test that mainboard again. For me, today, I inserted another bad AGP gpu, yet again. At first it seemed all okay until it would just throw many errors regarding IDE functionality. Two hours later the board works like new.

Socket 478 totally sucks.