VOGONS

First post, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone,
I'm looking for some insight on a Compaq DeskPro END I was given from work. It's a Pentium 3, Slot 1 based system.
I've noticed that the PSU fan is not spinning, despite being free or not seized. It doesn't spin at power up either.

PSU Model: 386461-001

The BIOS has been factory reset.

Does anyone know if they're off by default and the PSU has to warm up before the fan kicks on? I've got a newer Compaq Deskpro EN that's a socket 370 unit, the PSU fan doesn't spin in that either, but the PSU gets quite warm.
So I know that two machines from the same place may have PSU fan issues.

Any idea's?
Cheers

Reply 1 of 4, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update, I left the machine powered up for 30-40 mins, the PSU case started to get warm but the fan didn't kick in. My best guess is the thermo fan control has failed

Reply 2 of 4, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update 2, Had a look into the thermal control board, as it has a separate pcb for the fan. Found one of the connections on the voltage regulator was bad.
And removed the old glue that started to turn conductive. But that still didn't fix it.
So I hard wired the fan to +5v and it seems to be running nice and cool. Not ideal but it's all I could do other than spending $150NZD on ebay for a new PSU

Reply 3 of 4, by pbagain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds like a nice fix and good solution!

Thanks for reporting, always good for inspiration 😀

Reply 4 of 4, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pbagain wrote on 2024-05-17, 09:15:

Sounds like a nice fix and good solution!

Thanks for reporting, always good for inspiration 😀

No worries! Hopefully it helps someone with a work around. It's the 2nd machine I have from Compaq with this issue